DJ Humphries Re-Signed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because sometimes drafting the replacement doesn’t work out.

exhibit a: Robert nkeimdiche.

Exactly, and if you don't you extend P2 or you have other options.

Either way we need to start planning on moving on. 30 year old CBs don't normally last much longer.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
No one is saying that PP21 had even an average year last year. I think you'll be surprised how much better he'll be this year. He's been embarrassed, ridiculed, and taken for granted. We'll learn a lot about Patrick, the man, this season. if he has an ounce of pride, which I think he's done, he'll rebound nicely. Not that he hasn't lost a step, I believe he has, but he'll will himself back into the conversation. He'll then sign with someone else next year, who will undoubtedly over pay for him.
The problem is that the lack of run support you see in those clips has been a constant for a number of years, even when he was playing at an all pro level. Most of us, including myself, were willing to let that slide because he was phenomenal at locking down #1 receivers in pass coverage. If his cover skills drop to just average (or worse), then he's a liability for this defense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that the lack of run support you see in those clips has been a constant for a number of years, even when he was playing at an all pro level. Most of us, including myself, were willing to let that slide because he was phenomenal at locking down #1 receivers in pass coverage. If his cover skills drop to just average (or worse), then he's a liability for this defense.
I can’t argue your point. He hasn’t been phenomenal at locking down anyone in a few years. Unless, that somehow changes, he’ll be elsewhere next season. For this season, our secondary will be our Achilles heel unless we start putting more pressure on the QB. I could see Stafford having a big day on Sunday. I just think Murray will have an even bigger day.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t argue your point. He hasn’t been phenomenal at locking down anyone in a few years. Unless, that somehow changes, he’ll be elsewhere next season. For this season, our secondary will be our Achilles heel unless we start putting more pressure on the QB. I could see Stafford having a big day on Sunday. I just think Murray will have an even bigger day.

Achilles heel?

The CARDS pass "D" at 57.7% is #2 in pass completion percentage (Pittsburgh #1 - 56.3)

A number of our sacks have obviously been of the coverage variety and by extension PP21 and others have been doing their job.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Achilles heel?

The CARDS pass "D" at 57.7% is #2 in pass completion percentage (Pittsburgh #1 - 56.3)

A number of our sacks have obviously been of the coverage variety and by extension PP21 and others have been doing their job.

We've played 2 games, so your stats are rather meaningless. We've also played the Niners without a single healthy WR & oh, by the way, Terry McLaurin did eat our lunch. Look, I hope and pray that I'm wrong. We should be significantly better in the secondary compared to last year, but if there's a single area that may prevent us from getting into the playoffs or better yet, deep into the playoffs, it'll be IMO, our secondary. That's what I meant by Achilles heel.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having a stable and healthy O Line is the key to a great season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m so happy for this guy.

I’m taking the money I’m paying Fitz and Peterson about 22 million and I’m giving a large part 15/16 and making Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in football and I put him right next to The Captain and I have the best left side in all of football.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Nah I was always expecting it. They been saying for months they wanted to resign him and it's exactly the money being thrown around.

It's a garbage deal but I'll just sit back now and wait for him to hit IR / be trash so I can say "I told you".

The twitter comments sum it up which are along the lines of "We can get out in two years". When you sign your LT to a fat deal and the first thought is how you can get out of it that tells you everything.
Oh this didn't age well. I'm sure you're happy to be wrong tho. He's been a great signing this year. The captain is solid at protecting the blind side.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m so happy for this guy.

I’m taking the money I’m paying Fitz and Peterson about 22 million and I’m giving a large part 15/16 and making Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in football and I put him right next to The Captain and I have the best left side in all of football.

Well, I'm extending PUGH to lower his CAP and making a trade with KC for Dr Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to play R-guard. He's 29 and took the season off to help in the fight against COVID. The word is that he's available with one-year left on his deal, a guaranteed $2.75M.

SAVE the "big" money; we're going to need it.

If the CAP is at $175M as suggested, then we only have $27M, which includes cutting Alford and are going to be in need of some creative accounting.

Redo Pugh, C. Jones

Humphries - Pugh - Gaillard - LDT - Jones

B-ups: Cole, Murray, Gilbert, Miles

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah I was always expecting it. They been saying for months they wanted to resign him and it's exactly the money being thrown around.

It's a garbage deal but I'll just sit back now and wait for him to hit IR / be trash so I can say "I told you".

The twitter comments sum it up which are along the lines of "We can get out in two years". When you sign your LT to a fat deal and the first thought is how you can get out of it that tells you everything.

This is a great post to keep in my mind the next time you talk like a know it all, ripping on a player. The next time inevitably being multiple times today.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a great post to keep in my mind the next time you talk like a know it all, ripping on a player. The next time inevitably being multiple times today.

Yep.

Humphries is now on an EXTREMELY team friendly deal. He is a bargain for a top 5 tackle, which is what he became this year.

Even if he replicated last season, it would have only been a slight overpay.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am happy to see The Captain see the fruits of his hard work. I have had to change my judgments of offensive linemen and now think you really have to be patient. It is one reason I wouldn't blindly continue to start Cole if you can upgrade, but I also think you hold onto Cole because he isn't a bad player.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yep.

Humphries is now on an EXTREMELY team friendly deal. He is a bargain for a top 5 tackle, which is what he became this year.

Even if he replicated last season, it would have only been a slight overpay.
If he stays healthy next year, he will be get a new contract that will be around 19 mil per year.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I am happy to see The Captain see the fruits of his hard work. I have had to change my judgments of offensive linemen and now think you really have to be patient. It is one reason I wouldn't blindly continue to start Cole if you can upgrade, but I also think you hold onto Cole because he isn't a bad player.
Agreed it's nice to see a cardinal player reach their potential. It all starts with the feet, the man has great feet, and exactly what a LT needs. A solid foundation is a great place to start.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I'm extending PUGH to lower his CAP and making a trade with KC for Dr Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to play R-guard. He's 29 and took the season off to help in the fight against COVID. The word is that he's available with one-year left on his deal, a guaranteed $2.75M.

SAVE the "big" money; we're going to need it.

If the CAP is at $175M as suggested, then we only have $27M, which includes cutting Alford and are going to be in need of some creative accounting.

Redo Pugh, C. Jones

Humphries - Pugh - Gaillard - LDT - Jones

B-ups: Cole, Murray, Gilbert, Miles

why would KC do that and what are you giving up. He has 1 year left on his deal? Your going to have to resign him and pay him or just be in the same situation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr