DCU: Wonder Woman 1984

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love if our industry was actually concerned with, you know, creativity, but the reality is that it's all about money with these types of movies. It's hard to quantify being against that because I work in the industry and I need Hallmark to make a ton of money on television so I can get my 5 figure bonus every year.

so your the man behind all those lifetime movies huh or “The LMU” as Dan Soder calls it

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Cheetahs transformation wasn’t instant and the events that brought the dad back were set in motion. The wishes that were granted were not always what was intended. I didn’t expect the dad to poof back for example. The rules definitely were not clear, the plot all over the place, Steve was a tag along and the characters not very well written.

Word is now TWO new movies are a go. Please oh please let them bring in new writers.

Nope. She's listed as writer on #3.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And not all of the 80s took place in 84. They went way over the top with it and made it more of a parody than memberberries. Stranger Things captures the feel so much better. This was like when Fox tried to do That 80s Show as a spin off from That 70s Show.

@cheesebeef with all the work and headaches you have to go through when doing a pitch and writing your stuff, how does a script like this get green lighted and not forced to be reworked into something that's coherent? Understood if you can't answer. It just seems like stuff like this would drive you crazy. Shoddy work in my field can set me off.

lots of cooks in the kitchen. With a project like this, you’ve got writers, directors, producers, executives, stars... ALL who feel the need to put their two cents (or a lot more) to justify their paychecks and assuaging their own egos. Then throw in release dates forcing things into production instead of quality of project and you get something like this.

to be honest, it’s kind of a miracle when anything really good comes out of the sausage grinder.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see more concern with creativity and originality too. You say it's all about money which in many regards I think is true. Combining those two points is why I'm bored with stuff like the MCU. The creativity has dropped and it's on cruse control to make big money for Disney.

But the money factor is also one of the things that confuses me with letting something like WW84 get made and released. I'm willing to bet if it had hit the theaters it would have had a monster opening weekend, then cratered from word of mouth, and lost money. Pumping out stuff like it, Dolittle, Call of the Wild, Cats, Birds of Prey, etc. can't be good for the bottom line. They need to let guys like you and Cheese be more creative and give us good properties over a lot of the stuff they've been churning out over the last few years. Give me The Expanse and not a Save by the Bell or ***** Brewster reboot.

saved by the bell reboot was actually pretty funny, oddly enough!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
No, Lifetime is a competitor, but there's a distinct difference between what we do and what they do.

I think my best friend hates you though. He was just complaining that all his wife has been watching is Hallmark Christmas movies even though they're Jewish. It was driving him nuts. :cheers:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think my best friend hates you though. He was just complaining that all his wife has been watching is Hallmark Christmas movies even though they're Jewish. It was driving him nuts. :cheers:
Hey we had a movie called Love, Lights, Hannukah this year, so the jokes on him.

Let me just say that males aren't exactly the target demographic anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
oh ok.

so what do you do there if you don’t mind.
I deal with the content, all nonlinear. Websites, VOD, Subscription VOD.

Look, the movies are what they are—the same movie presented 800 different ways. But people love the happy endings.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I deal with the content, all nonlinear. Websites, VOD, Subscription VOD.

Look, the movies are what they are—the same movie presented 800 different ways. But people love the happy endings.

right lol

It pays the bills and then some

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saved by the bell reboot was actually pretty funny, oddly enough!

Wife was a MASSIVE fan of the original. We couldn't get through it and thought it was SOOOO bad. Worst thing we have seen all year until the Grinch live special.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was a strange movie. Honestly, it wasn't good. I had high hopes for it but what an extreme let down..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just finished watching it, I had been putting it off because of what everyone has been saying. And OMG, this movie is definitely amongst the worst the genre has ever produced. I mean Batman & Robin bad. SPOILERS AHEAD

The ENTIRE plot was based on a McGuffin! They weren't even trying to hide it! And then they make the rules up as they go. When did the rule appear where he grants wishes and gets something in return? The original item was a stone, and it certainly didn't get anything in return for giving wishes. I mean, did Barbara's "joy" and "warmth" get absorbed by the stupid stone? Wishes. Yeah right.

What about the bracelet? There must be a ton of deleted scenes, because nothing outside of Lord having some phantom knowledge about the stone, is justification for him having an Indiana Jones room in his building that was borderline abandoned just hours before.

Virtually every scene had some problem with it, whether it's the writing, or Pablo Pascal's horrendous overacting, or the flimsy way they handled Steve's return. Ha ha, so funny, he takes over an 80s guy's life. Whoo hah. Funny how the spend so much time at the beginning giving away that it's the 80s, and yet, Gal Gadot consistently dresses like she's in the 2000s. I hate movies that hit you over the head with the "era" and then don't stick with their own rules.

Gal does what she can, and she is definitely a better actress now than she used to be, but my goodness, Patty Jenkins should be ashamed of herself. As should Warner Bros.

Silver lining -- compared to this, Zach Snyder's Justice League might very well be a masterpiece (I don't think it will be, but still).

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing WW84 and I have to agree the writing was pretty bad. The action in the opening mall seen was like WW: Home Alone edition. I literally laughed (unexpectedly and a bit too loudly) in the theater at the scene where the random kids were playing soccer on the highway. Gal makes it watchable though.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
So many questions...

Like, what was the point of her putting on the armor? It didn't help her fly. It wasn't used to defete Cheetah. I mean, I guess it slowed her down a bit, sorta. So it wasn't actually useful... in any way... whatsoever.

Remember "Batman vs. Superman" or as it's commonly known by, "Superman Tries Really Hard Not to Instantly Kill Batman Using Super Speed or Super Strength"? I kinda felt the same way with Wonder Woman vs Cheetah. Cheetah was hardly a threat even in full fur. She was merely road kill.

On that note, so WW can lift a 66,000 lb tank over her head and toss it aside but not grab a 140 lb cat by the tail and fling her into the nearby ocean? She kind of had some pressing issues dealing with the ACTUAL threat in Lord, so I'm not sure why she wasted so much time.

(Come to think of it, they should have Cheetah fight Batman, because then at least one character I find useless can be eliminated.)

Also, why did the US military give Lord a helicopter ride back to his kid and not to, I don't know, prison? I mean they weren't under his "spell" any more. I think at that point it was safe to say he was a national security threat since he now had access to sensitive information like that futuristic TV control thing and imaginary nukes, etc. So you might want to find a secure place for him rather than letting him loose in the streets.

I don't know about you, but that engineer guy looked awful *******. Just saying. WW should probably have herself checked out. (Sorry Patty if that's a spoiler to the plot of WonderWoman3).

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many questions...

Like, what was the point of her putting on the armor? It didn't help her fly. It wasn't used to defete Cheetah. I mean, I guess it slowed her down a bit, sorta. So it wasn't actually useful... in any way... whatsoever.

Remember "Batman vs. Superman" or as it's commonly known by, "Superman Tries Really Hard Not to Instantly Kill Batman Using Super Speed or Super Strength"? I kinda felt the same way with Wonder Woman vs Cheetah. Cheetah was hardly a threat even in full fur. She was merely road kill.

On that note, so WW can lift a 66,000 lb tank over her head and toss it aside but not grab a 140 lb cat by the tail and fling her into the nearby ocean? She kind of had some pressing issues dealing with the ACTUAL threat in Lord, so I'm not sure why she wasted so much time.

(Come to think of it, they should have Cheetah fight Batman, because then at least one character I find useless can be eliminated.)

Also, why did the US military give Lord a helicopter ride back to his kid and not to, I don't know, prison? I mean they weren't under his "spell" any more. I think at that point it was safe to say he was a national security threat since he now had access to sensitive information like that futuristic TV control thing and imaginary nukes, etc. So you might want to find a secure place for him rather than letting him loose in the streets.

I don't know about you, but that engineer guy looked awful *******. Just saying. WW should probably have herself checked out. (Sorry Patty if that's a spoiler to the plot of WonderWoman3).

Using the armor for that final battle bugged the hell out of me also. Pointless.

and someone should totally make the movie about the guy trying to figure out what the hell happened to him and figuring out WW put Steve into his body and is now hellbent on getting revenge, someway, somehow.

all while WW realizes she’s pregnant with his baby and has no idea what to do with it.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I just finished watching it, I had been putting it off because of what everyone has been saying. And OMG, this movie is definitely amongst the worst the genre has ever produced. I mean Batman & Robin bad. SPOILERS AHEAD

The ENTIRE plot was based on a McGuffin! They weren't even trying to hide it! And then they make the rules up as they go. When did the rule appear where he grants wishes and gets something in return? The original item was a stone, and it certainly didn't get anything in return for giving wishes. I mean, did Barbara's "joy" and "warmth" get absorbed by the stupid stone? Wishes. Yeah right.

What about the bracelet? There must be a ton of deleted scenes, because nothing outside of Lord having some phantom knowledge about the stone, is justification for him having an Indiana Jones room in his building that was borderline abandoned just hours before.

Virtually every scene had some problem with it, whether it's the writing, or Pablo Pascal's horrendous overacting, or the flimsy way they handled Steve's return. Ha ha, so funny, he takes over an 80s guy's life. Whoo hah. Funny how the spend so much time at the beginning giving away that it's the 80s, and yet, Gal Gadot consistently dresses like she's in the 2000s. I hate movies that hit you over the head with the "era" and then don't stick with their own rules.

Gal does what she can, and she is definitely a better actress now than she used to be, but my goodness, Patty Jenkins should be ashamed of herself. As should Warner Bros.

Silver lining -- compared to this, Zach Snyder's Justice League might very well be a masterpiece (I don't think it will be, but still).

See, I'm not just a cranky, nitpicking nerd. Sometimes the movie is so bad that everyone agrees with me. It actually wasn't hyperbole this time when I was asking how something this badly written doesn't get checked somewhere along the line. ;)

Using the armor for that final battle bugged the hell out of me also. Pointless.

and someone should totally make the movie about the guy trying to figure out what the hell happened to him and figuring out WW put Steve into his body and is now hellbent on getting revenge, someway, somehow.

all while WW realizes she’s pregnant with his baby and has no idea what to do with it.

I bet this is a better outline then whatever Patty Jenkins is coming up with for WW3. I really hope they force a competent co-writer on her for it. It seems like they gave her too much power on WW 84. I saw an article last night that the studio wanted her to cut one of the opening scenes (WW as a kid should have been cut IMO) and she refused to do it.

I really hope they can get her writing fixed for WW3 and Rogue Squadron and that her direction gets back to what she did with Wonder Woman. Right now I'm scared that she might not be cut out for this type of genre. Sort of like Rian Johnson. Loved some of his movies like Brothers Bloom and Looper but if I ever see him near a Star Wars set again....

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I'm not just a cranky, nitpicking nerd. Sometimes the movie is so bad that everyone agrees with me. It actually wasn't hyperbole this time when I was asking how something this badly written doesn't get checked somewhere along the line. ;)

I bet this is a better outline then whatever Patty Jenkins is coming up with for WW3.

I literally broke the entire first act for this last night. Probably gonna write it up as a pilot and try and have my reps use it to try and get me some general MTGs.

Which they probably won’t. But the idea is just too funny to me not to play around with if only for my own ish and giggles.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I literally broke the entire first act for this last night. Probably gonna write it up as a pilot and try and have my reps use it to try and get me some general MTGs.

Which they probably won’t. But the idea is just too funny to me not to play around with if only for my own ish and giggles.

I honestly think it's good. It's a nice villain origin story that plays off of big issues with the previous movie. Sadly, egos will probably prevent it though. It doesn't even have to be WW3. It might work better as a Joker type of movie where the guy is brooding at home and you only see news clips of her. A future WW movie could then bring him in as the big bad.

They screwed up movie continuity a bit too with WW84 since she had her in hiding and not in the public eye at all since WWI until Batman finds out who she is and recruits her.. You could do a partial reconciliation/retcon where the reason she disappears is due to the pregnancy.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could watch Gadot for hours, but this movie tested my limits. Maybe it would improve without the sound up?

Sooooo long. Terrible acting almost across the board. Weakest DC story, maybe ever, and that's saying something. Lame special effects shouldn't be possible for a movie with this kind of budget, but there it was. I'm usually one of the easiest people to please with something like this because I'm not going in expecting world-class art for a popcorn movie, but this failed almost every category.

0.5/5 pucks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched and holy crap what a terrible movie. the last 90 minutes I kept thinking if I hadn't paid for HBO Max already I'd turn it off. Gal Gadot is gorgeous but man what a trainwreck.