BR: Most likely landing spots for Patrick Peterson.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I feel you but you have to remember that a 80 yard run is an amazing feat against professional athletes for a score. We can sugar coat the aspect of luck for Kyler hitting D-Hop on that Hail Murray, but there was obvious talent on both sides of that completion which made that possible. Granted that cannot and will not happen every play, but still does extend some value to the player anyway you want to allocate the information
Yes, but my argument was never that Drake didn't have some talent. He took a play where he was untouched, had perfect blocking, and ran 80 yards. Most NFL running backs should turn that into a TD. I mean, Steve Bono ran it for 76 yards against us. Does that mean we should have considered Steve Bono a great rushing QB?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Didn’t he have a 69 yard run this year? Should we strip that out too? Just strip out all of his beat runs because they only occur 3-5% (or less) of the time?
No, of course not. But my argument was that his 2019 success with us mainly came in the form of three big games out of 8, with a heavy bulk of rushing coming on one or two big plays. It's not sustainable production. Even with his 69 yard rush, he's had two 100 yard games this year, one exactly at 100 yards. His YPC is the lowest of his career. And the 69 yard run came against a historically bad Cowboys defense.

There are players like a Chris Johnson or Derrick Henry who have the ability to break off a big run at any given time in a game, and consistently do so. Drake hasn't shown that he's one of those guys on a consistent basis. We're paying him top 5 money to be a guy clinging to the 10th spot in rushing in a year where we're missing Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffery, and most of Austin Ekeler's season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would put priorities on Drake and Reddick right now over Fitz and Peterson, it's common sense and might cost us less to keep them. What Fitz and Pat P gave us for value they are not giving again, but these guys could at least give something extra for who they are in the here and now (though yeah as RB, I would not get crazy) :raccoon:
I keep drake only on a very reasonable contract. Otherwise try to draft a gem and sign a Malcom brown type.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, but my argument was never that Drake didn't have some talent. He took a play where he was untouched, had perfect blocking, and ran 80 yards. Most NFL running backs should turn that into a TD. I mean, Steve Bono ran it for 76 yards against us. Does that mean we should have considered Steve Bono a great rushing QB?

No, of course not. But my argument was that his 2019 success with us mainly came in the form of three big games out of 8, with a heavy bulk of rushing coming on one or two big plays. It's not sustainable production. Even with his 69 yard rush, he's had two 100 yard games this year, one exactly at 100 yards. His YPC is the lowest of his career. And the 69 yard run came against a historically bad Cowboys defense.

There are players like a Chris Johnson or Derrick Henry who have the ability to break off a big run at any given time in a game, and consistently do so. Drake hasn't shown that he's one of those guys on a consistent basis. We're paying him top 5 money to be a guy clinging to the 10th spot in rushing in a year where we're missing Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffery, and most of Austin Ekeler's season.
That’s why the strategy works imo. Tagged him to see what he could do. He’s proven okay but not good. So now pay him what that’s worth. Or don’t. But the big play each season happened and should be counted.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I keep drake only on a very reasonable contract. Otherwise try to draft a gem and sign a Malcom brown type.

Not really enthusiastic about CBs or LTs starting as a fix all through the draft but totally believe a rookie RB is aces in the draft even around the fifth round if a GM knows what they are doing

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That’s why the strategy works imo. Tagged him to see what he could do. He’s proven okay but not good. So now pay him what that’s worth. Or don’t. But the big play each season happened and should be counted.
Dude, I'm not sure what to tell you, you have to look at what is most likely to happen with a player, not assume they can replicate a fantastical feat.

There were also 3 1/2 years of production with another team to look at, where his long was only as high as 66. He couldn't stay on the field. That's why you take out the anomalies. Like his end of the game miracle running past Gronkowski to beat the Patriots... that play has like a .02% chance of ever happening in a similar fashion again in his career.

You asked earlier, would you rather have an 80 yard run or 4 runs for 20 yards, and every time I'll answer 4 for 20. It takes time off the clock, wears down the opposing team, and results in more than just putting the defense back on the field.

I'm assuming the 4 for 80 guy is also having some more efficient runs that churn the clock, not 1 yard and a cloud of dust.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Totally agreed here. Drake should be making no more than half of what he is now. I doubt he'll swallow that before we find his replacement though.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
If you have to choose between tagging Reddick and Peterson, who would you pick? I don’t want Peterson for 4 years. His tackling sucks too bad to be a safety.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dude, I'm not sure what to tell you, you have to look at what is most likely to happen with a player, not assume they can replicate a fantastical feat.

There were also 3 1/2 years of production with another team to look at, where his long was only as high as 66. He couldn't stay on the field. That's why you take out the anomalies. Like his end of the game miracle running past Gronkowski to beat the Patriots... that play has like a .02% chance of ever happening in a similar fashion again in his career.

You asked earlier, would you rather have an 80 yard run or 4 runs for 20 yards, and every time I'll answer 4 for 20. It takes time off the clock, wears down the opposing team, and results in more than just putting the defense back on the field.

I'm assuming the 4 for 80 guy is also having some more efficient runs that churn the clock, not 1 yard and a cloud of dust.
You didn’t read what I wrote. I said 20 runs for 4 yards. Those aren’t consecutive. They’re sprinkled throughout a game. In the overall picture of an entire game they may be worthwhile or they may be meaningless but that 80 yard run? That’s a TD. That’s 7 points the player put up on the board.

also you just said that he had another run of 66 yards in another season. So that’s 3 runs of 66 or more in 5 seasons? They’re anomalies on a game-by-game basis, but it shows the capability isn’t necessarily a fluke.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Totally agreed here. Drake should be making no more than half of what he is now. I doubt he'll swallow that before we find his replacement though.
I don’t think he’ll find much more on the market. RB isn’t a great area of need in the league right now.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you have to choose between tagging Reddick and Peterson, who would you pick? I don’t want Peterson for 4 years. His tackling sucks too bad to be a safety.
I tag PP21 and don't think twice. I draft multiple outside CBs to inherit the role in 2022 and compete to be our #2 guy in the short term.

Reddick isn't worth the price tag. I offer him a decent deal, thank him for his time, and let him find what he can on the market.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You didn’t read what I wrote. I said 20 runs for 4 yards. Those aren’t consecutive. They’re sprinkled throughout a game. In the overall picture of an entire game they may be worthwhile or they may be meaningless but that 80 yard run? That’s a TD. That’s 7 points the player put up on the board.

also you just said that he had another run of 66 yards in another season. So that’s 3 runs of 66 or more in 5 seasons? They’re anomalies on a game-by-game basis, but it shows the capability isn’t necessarily a fluke.
Oops, I definitely got it backwards. I'll admit where I'm wrong. Of course I take the 80 for a TD, but as I keep saying, almost any NFL RB should be capable of it. Here's Tim Hightower taking it 70 yards to the house against the Saints. The next season, he'd take an 80 yard TD to the house against the Falcons.

Did we pay him $8.5 million dollars to be our unquestioned starter? No. Did we even retain him? No. We traded him for a 6th and Vonnie Holliday. If you were writing the story of Tim Hightower, would you consider him a guy that could hit for 70-80 yard TDs at any time, or consider those pretty lucky one-off plays?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tag PP21 and don't think twice. I draft multiple outside CBs to inherit the role in 2022 and compete to be our #2 guy in the short term.

Reddick isn't worth the price tag. I offer him a decent deal, thank him for his time, and let him find what he can on the market.
Paying a clearly washed up bum while potentially letting an up-&-coming impact player at a more impactful position is just............nah.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Paying a clearly washed up bum while potentially letting an up-&-coming impact player at a more impactful position is just............nah.
You're an awfully big fan of "this player/coach's history doesn't show they're going to be good, but just wait, it's totally happening."

You know I respect you man, but throwing coin at a guy who has been a disappointment for years, at a position where we have some options, is an awfully questionable decision. I do want to make it clear - this isn't about what Patrick Peterson has done for us, it's about how terrible the other options are. I'm reluctantly retaining him, not excited about it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oops, I definitely got it backwards. I'll admit where I'm wrong. Of course I take the 80 for a TD, but as I keep saying, almost any NFL RB should be capable of it. Here's Tim Hightower taking it 70 yards to the house against the Saints. The next season, he'd take an 80 yard TD to the house against the Falcons.

Did we pay him $8.5 million dollars to be our unquestioned starter? No. Did we even retain him? No. We traded him for a 6th and Vonnie Holliday. If you were writing the story of Tim Hightower, would you consider him a guy that could hit for 70-80 yard TDs at any time, or consider those pretty lucky one-off plays?
But they did the right thing, they ensured he’s be back, which was important for the young offenses continuity as well as what he had flashed last year. But they didn’t commit to him long term. Now if they decide they want him back they’re in a more appropriate bargaining position. I’m advocating doing the same with Reddick. It worked once, let’s see it at play again.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're an awfully big fan of "this player/coach's history doesn't show they're going to be good, but just wait, it's totally happening."

You know I respect you man, but throwing coin at a guy who has been a disappointment for years, at a position where we have some options, is an awfully questionable decision. I do want to make it clear - this isn't about what Patrick Peterson has done for us, it's about how terrible the other options are. I'm reluctantly retaining him, not excited about it.
He was a disappointment at a position he didn’t even play in college, but got forced there because our idiotic coaching staffs.

You don’t let up & coming talents go. That’s insane. You let the clearly washed up bums go. Let some other team overpay for Peterson so I can laugh at him getting burned & purposely avoid tackling.

We need fresh new blood. Especially where you really need it at CB.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
QBs are completing 67% of passes against him. 99 QB rating when targeted. Offers zero in the run game. You can't tell me that those #s equate to one of the best in the game.

If he one of the top 25? Sure.

Do 30 years old CBs get better? No.

How much you paying?

Joe Haden's numbers are 51% comp and 76 QB rating and he makes 11 mil.

Janoris Jenkins numbers are 60% comp and 81 QB rating and he makes 7.8 mil.

His OTC proj is 7.3 mil. Spotrac's is 11.4 mil. I know which his production points to.

Oh and for reference, Chidobe Awuzie stats are 61% comp and 106 QB rating so you can argue that Peterson's production is fairly easy to find.

CB is difficult to judge, last week I don't think petetson gave up any catches, but that isn't represented in %comp or qb rating. Also if thr defense has him playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and long and he give up a quick 3 yard pass, he won the match up but gets dinged in both thies stats. Like you I am not arguing he should be paid as 15m a year. But I have no desire to move on from a top cb in the middle of our cheap qb window until others on thr team are better.
Peterson has beat Metcalf consistently and has had many games this year with 2 or less receptions. Hes playing well despite the melt on this board that occurs any time a wr make a catch and peterson is somewhere on the TV screen

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
you either live in an alternate reality or you don’t watch football outside of the Cardinals.

that washed up puss got ABUSED by Fat Alshon last week. He does NOTHING as far as team D. And he’s going to want a check his old non-PED ass can’t check.

If you want to win, you need to check sentimentality at the door. Kirkpatrick isn’t very good, but he’s been almost as good as PP this year if not even and will cost 1/6th the price.

If you want to sign the YOUNG IMPACT talent like Reddick you can’t waste money on low and continually getting lower old talent, especially at CB.
Jeffery had 2 catches in the game. In fact the TV color guy mentioned the great "tight" coverage peterson had on the catch. Jeffery also pushed off but no call.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we have a problem now with how much guys we should retain.

Reddick and Peterson should be retained. Reddick maybe with a long term deal and Peterson with the tag... but we will see.

As long as we don't get a bad contract as the Alford one ...16 mio $ without a snap in a game ... really bad.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Keep him and transition him to a Rod Woodson type role. It's all going to come to money.

We all thought Calais was done and he's been great every year since he's been gone. Believe he's been a pro bowler every year since we let him go. I think we'd all be happy if CC was still playing DE for the Cards.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keep him and transition him to a Rod Woodson type role. It's all going to come to money.

We all thought Calais was done and he's been great every year since he's been gone. Believe he's been a pro bowler every year since we let him go. I think we'd all be happy if CC was still playing DE for the Cards.
Except Calais was still dominant when we let him go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Robert Alford has had cap numbers of $6 and $7.5 million the last two seasons. Next season he has a cap number of $9 million.
and that 9 mil is why he will be cut. The cap decreasing is a part of this decision with Peterson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PP can’t be transitioned ala Rod Woodson because he’s a horrific tackler. Last line of defense can’t be slow and play ole D on people running with the football.

and not everyone thought it was time for CC to go. Some of us thought it was idiotic and would rather have seen some of the millions siphoned off to him from the ridiculous 7 million per year wasted on the TE (who’s name escapes me) who only produced unsportsmanlike like conduct penalties.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You don’t put a player who is afraid to tackle in a rod woodson role. That’s defensive suicide.