Suns @ Nuggets Friday game thread 1-1-2021

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is an incredibly important point in the game.

I absolutely love Monty, but I also thought he did a poor job of substitutions in the 2nd half.

On a back to back
Against playoff teams
Up 10+ points
With a bench that has been lights out
With Galloway on fire
I'm totally baffled that Book, Paul, Ayton, and Bridges played 32+.

They had no legs the second Jokic went to the bench with 5 fouls.
They had 5 TO's and 6 PFs in the last 2 minutes (!!!!) of the 3rd:
Nuggest close the quarter on a 7-0 run WITHOUT Jokic.

I hope that gets pointed out to the 2020-2021 HCOY.

The issue tonight was Cam Payne was off, and that really forced Monty’s hand. Especially with Saric out, the bench had no ballast.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gritty win. Had things working, allowed them to scrap back and actually lost the lead, then fought back and held on with clutch cp3. Being able to win, away from home, when you don’t have a comfortable lead is something new for this team. It’s good to see they can win ugly too.

they really need to get away from the book iso. It’s just not effective enough when we have cp3 who can better initiate the offense.

our three point shooting came back to earth and we still won. That’s encouraging.

Ayton played a much better game tonight. That said, I honestly wonder why he doesn’t dunk the ball. It’s gotten weird to me. Like he’s intent on not dunking this year on purpose.

team is legit!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He torched Utah yesterday with two late game ISOs. Some nights even the best guys don’t have it. That’s why it’s such a luxury to have CP3 who is arguably better than Booker as a clutch scorer.
But on those nights when a guy doesn’t have it he, or the coaches, have to recognize that and rely on the other clutch performer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The issue tonight was Cam Payne was off, and that really forced Monty’s hand. Especially with Saric out, the bench had no ballast.
I agree. Note, when Payne is off it throws off the Ben h offensively. Carter was absent too. Defensively they still held up.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Book really needs to realize he is Klay Thompson, not Steph Curry.

yes!
these 2 weeks he's been making too many mistakes and missing too many shots, including free throws.
the clutch shots he made, we needed because of his earlier errors

i was against the CP3 trade until i thought about how Paul would bring the leadership Book is missing and how important it would be for Book to learn from Paul.

for example, it was Paul who convinced Monty to make that key challenge.
Book convinced Monty to waste a challenge last game

the ball needs to be in Paul's hands to start a possession in crunch time.
under 10 seconds, if nothing materializes it could then go to Book to create something
but clearly Paul is the most competent on the court and clutch himself

who's hands shouldn't it be in? Kaminsky and Ayton unless they're open for a shot in late game situations
(Kaminsky shouldn't even be on the floor in a close game)
both are awkward and the defense leaves them open to receive the ball

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what was the deal with Saric tonight? Is he actually injured or is it precautionary. This team is better when Saric plays.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So what was the deal with Saric tonight? Is he actually injured or is it precautionary. This team is better when Saric plays.

He isn’t hurt per se, but he’s not 100% and the injury is being managed so he can get back to 100%.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... that was GREAT. These are the types of games they need if they’re going to be a playoff team. Money time, CP3 was EXACTLY that.

back to back wins on the road v. Utah and Denver? I’ll f’n take it anyway I can get it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Impressive win. Back to back in Denver is always a tough game. Crowder was exhausted, bench didn't really show up (with the exception of Cam J. and Galloway), Booker was doing all sorts of stupid stuff, and they still managed to win. This is crazy!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think they’re being cautious with his injury.

this thought is backed up by absolutely nothing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three of my ol college buddies texted me tonight to talk about how well the Suns are playing. They all live out of state and only one is a Suns fan but they lived with me and watched my joy and suffering during the peak of the Nash years.

Pretty awesome that we're already a national story.

Also... maybe I should have kids or something... I call them to congratulate them on a new baby... they call me to congratulate me on my basketball team going on a hot streak.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Impressive win. Back to back in Denver is always a tough game. Crowder was exhausted, bench didn't really show up (with the exception of Cam J. and Galloway), Booker was doing all sorts of stupid stuff, and they still managed to win. This is crazy!

Yeah, I was surprised that Cam Johnson didn't come in for Crowder during those last few minutes when things started getting so sloppy, but maybe Monty wanted more girth to match up with Milsap.

I think they’re being cautious with his injury.

this thought is backed up by absolutely nothing.

I think we'll see a lot of this during the condensed season; banged up guys skipping one part of a back to back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was surprised that Cam Johnson didn't come in for Crowder during those last few minutes when things started getting so sloppy, but maybe Monty wanted more girth to match up with Milsap.

I think we'll see a lot of this during the condensed season; banged up guys skipping one part of a back to back.

yup.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Probably because it was a back-to-back. I can see where he, just returning, isn't ready for that.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These guys will need to be consistent for the next few weeks to set the tone for the season though. I got excited last year at 7-2, and it got stupid fast, after that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
These guys will need to be consistent for the next few weeks to set the tone for the season though. I got excited last year at 7-2, and it got stupid fast, after that.
Of course. But it is reassuring to know that this year's Suns are a much more balanced team, in all aspects.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow! I thought for sure we were toast in the 4th, but Paul came up HUGE down the stretch after having another so-so game overall. I still don't know what to make of Paul overall, but one certain thing is that he has been clutch down the stretch of games. I hope it rubs off on Booker, as Booker continues to make an amazing play followed by a bonehead play.

Bad game for the Cams tonight, but Ayton came up big.

Imagine how good this team could be if nobody has an off night.

Very impressed nonetheless.
BC. See. He was here. I do think some people actually sleep.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Book is still learning his role. He's so used to carrying this team on his back and now he doesn't need to. There was that star given the other day where the Suns are 5-42 when he scores less than 20 over the previous 3 seasons. That shows how much he carried the team.

He'll come around but it'll take some time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Book is still learning his role. He's so used to carrying this team on his back and now he doesn't need to. There was that star given the other day where the Suns are 5-42 when he scores less than 20 over the previous 3 seasons. That shows how much he carried the team.

He'll come around but it'll take some time.
He has to get better at finding ways to score more within the offense. I will never expect him to stay on script all the time because he is such a gifted scorer, but he needs to pick and choose his spots for that more wisely.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree, Cam Payne not contributing as much as usual hampered the Suns bench.

In Orlando when the Suns bench was most effective it looked like: Saric (out), Carter (0) points and Payne (3).

Carter and Payne were not the problem though as they put up only 4 shots between them and had a +7 and a +12 PER respectively.

I do think if Monty could have found another bench player to contribute more it would have helped. The Suns were clearly out of gas at the end of the game. I'm not sure who though but giving more minutes to Cam Payne and Cam Johnson might have helped.

It was a great win no matter how one slices it. I think most have us thought one win on this road would be good. Two wins was almost unthinkable.