Draft Convo: Alabama WRs - Buyer Beware?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fuller is the prize, but injuries, the PEDs (we saw what happens when you remove that advantage with PP), and likely most expensive probably eliminates him.

Samuel is intriguing, but questionable hands. Likely second most expensive guy.

Ross and perrimen are just total rolls of the dice.
Nice thing about Ross is that he does not count towards the comp pick formula as his option was declined. Jarad Davis is another guy whose option was not picked up and who I think could be an option at ILB behind/competing Hicks.

With our lack of draft picks our comp formula becomes more vital. Peterson, Beachum and Drake should get decent contracts somewhere. Same with Golden as I think if he is cheap, he stays. If not he goes. Hard to see Sweezy being out of the league. Same with Kirkpatrick. Might mean we prioritize cut players and non-optioned guys to try and bag those picks.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of love for Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle in this upcoming draft, but are we ignoring the overall lackluster careers of recent Alabama WRs drafted?

Jerry Jeudy has had an ok year, but he has had 10 drops on the season.

Henry Ruggs has been underachieving and also has 3 drops on the year.

If we look at Alabama WRs drafted since 2014, this is what we get.

Kevin Norwood 2014 4th
Amari Cooper 2015 1st
ArDarius Stewart 2017 3rd
Calvin Ridley 2018 1st
Henry Ruggs 2020 1st
Jerry Jeudy 2020 1st

Lets compare with LSU Tiger WRs drafted
Odell Beckum 2014 1st
Jarvis Landry 2014 2nd
James Wright 2014 7th
Malachi Dupree 2017 7th
DJ Chark 2018 2nd
Russell Gage 2018 6th
Justin Jefferson 2020 1st

It is something to consider and one reason I like Terrance Marshall over any of the Alabama WRs in this draft.
How sweet would it have been to get Justin Jefferson? Put him with Hopkins & I highly doubt we're needing a win Sunday to get in the playoffs?

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
When Derek Stingley absolutely locked him down, I was kinda out on Jeudy based upon where you would have to take him in the draft. Top of round 2? Sure. Great value there but not a top 20 guy.
In fairness, stingley is the best CB prospect since Patrick peterson. Guy was unreal as a true freshman.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice thing about Ross is that he does not count towards the comp pick formula as his option was declined. Jarad Davis is another guy whose option was not picked up and who I think could be an option at ILB behind/competing Hicks.

With our lack of draft picks our comp formula becomes more vital. Peterson, Beachum and Drake should get decent contracts somewhere. Same with Golden as I think if he is cheap, he stays. If not he goes. Hard to see Sweezy being out of the league. Same with Kirkpatrick. Might mean we prioritize cut players and non-optioned guys to try and bag those picks.

Didn't know getting players whose previous team didnt exercise the fifth year option doesn't count for the compensatory picks
Ross and especially Davis would be smart moves

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Didn't know getting players whose previous team didnt exercise the fifth year option doesn't count for the compensatory picks
Ross and especially Davis would be smart moves
That is one reason we almost have to tag (franchise to transition) Reddick. Otherwise we get nothing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fairness, stingley is the best CB prospect since Patrick peterson. Guy was unreal as a true freshman.

He's good but like Dvontel said, DeVonta Smith flat out destroyed Stingley when Stingley was a freshman, 2 long TD's against him and a bunch of other catches. One of the TD's was sort of fluky the QB tried to draw them offsides, an LSU guy jumped and then got back and Stingley turned to the bench like either someone was telling him something or he was looking at the ref to see if they were going to throw a flag, ball is snapped and Smith goes flying by before Stingley was ready, easy TD.

He is a very good prospect, you have to pull for him, grandson of Darryl Stingley the guy who got paralyze in an NFL game in the 70's.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’d take Smith. Hehas another gear other guys don’t. Just what the Cards need.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He must have titanium bones to survive with the pro

Just nervs and muscle so thin, never seen a body like that in the nfl

and We all know Alabama has been accused of using tricks in the weight room. Smith must have skipped the weight room days.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
He's good but like Dvontel said, DeVonta Smith flat out destroyed Stingley when Stingley was a freshman, 2 long TD's against him and a bunch of other catches. One of the TD's was sort of fluky the QB tried to draw them offsides, an LSU guy jumped and then got back and Stingley turned to the bench like either someone was telling him something or he was looking at the ref to see if they were going to throw a flag, ball is snapped and Smith goes flying by before Stingley was ready, easy TD.

He is a very good prospect, you have to pull for him, grandson of Darryl Stingley the guy who got paralyze in an NFL game in the 70's.

Yea 1 long td was a fluke due to the sideline. But Stingley was a true freshman playing against an junior who is a recording breaking wr and a nfl qb. Stingley is a freak.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In today's nfl, the rules favor speed and quickness. You don't see many fitz size wrs in thr nfl anymore

Michael Thomas
Devante Adams
Deandre Hopkins
Mike Evans
Julio Jones
Keenan Allen
Allen Robinson
Hell, Justin Jefferson is 6'1 202.

I agree that the NFL now enables those types of players to have some success but I would argue the best players are still larger guys who have a physical element to their game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Michael Thomas
Devante Adams
Deandre Hopkins
Mike Evans
Julio Jones
Keenan Allen
Allen Robinson
Hell, Justin Jefferson is 6'1 202.

I agree that the NFL now enables those types of players to have some success but I would argue the best players are still larger guys who have a physical element to their game.
Some guy named DK Metcalf

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Idk what to think of Devonta Smith in the NFL but I’ve never seen a WR make dominating look easier. It’s like he’s playing against JC guys. He’s been a big game player since his Fr year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Idk what to think of Devonta Smith in the NFL but I’ve never seen a WR make dominating look easier. It’s like he’s playing against JC guys. He’s been a big game player since his Fr year.

The body frame is typical of a guy who run the marathon

You must be registered for see images attach

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Imagine how much more fragile those toothpicks would look without the abundance of ink.

Question? Where do these non paid athletes get the funds for all of that expensive artwork? Just askin' for a friend.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hes a freak man. He has the body of Manute Bole on a 6'1 frame.

He is also really really good. He will be as good, or even a better version of Calvin Ridley IMO....which would be the perfect #2 to Hopkins for the next few years.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I hope WR needing teams ahead of the Cards think that a skinny Alabama WR isnt worth it

i would take him in the 20s

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That has to be photoshopped, right?

if not, you’re looking at the human embodiment of what the art world calls a “stick figure.”

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That has to be photoshopped, right?

if not, you’re looking at the human embodiment of what the art world calls a “stick figure.”
I just find it on internet, maybe the torsion of his body made him looks more skinny
BTW his waist is pretty weird, like he is wearing a corset, a wasp waist

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imagine how much more fragile those toothpicks would look without the abundance of ink.

Question? Where do these non paid athletes get the funds for all of that expensive artwork? Just askin' for a friend.
Do u think college players don't get some backseesh? Then they start to get noted so maybe some tattoos artist who just started a business, like to have a young football college player as client
So they get free tattoos or with lower prices

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA