Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. Is Cam Payne the third-best pg we have had on our team since we traded Bledsoe?

1. Paul
2. Rubio
3. Payne

Could Cam become our own VanVleet story?

boy, that would be great. It’s not like he was trash either coming out of college as he was a late lottery pick.

maybe he becomes our Chauncey Billips?

boy do we love getting ahead of ourselves when someone starts showing promise!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we're a contender but man is it far too early to be saying it. We are 3 and 1 and all we've played are teams that last year combined to play sub .500 basketball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope we're a contender but man is it far too early to be saying it. We are 3 and 1 and all we've played are teams that last year combined to play sub .500 basketball.
Pretty sure nobody is saying that we are yet, it’s simply speculation of WHEN we could be called a contender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure nobody is saying that we are yet, it’s simply speculation of WHEN we could be called a contender.

I think you might have forgotten a post or two but nevertheless, my comment stands on it's own even if no one had gone that far. There is nothing wrong with wishing and hoping but it's far too early for lofty expectations IMO.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
boy, that would be great. It’s not like he was trash either coming out of college as he was a late lottery pick.

In 261 minutes and 12 games w/Suns Payne has 10/4/3.5 in 22 mpg. Only 1.2 tov per game. 62% TS. Even if his 3pt shooting regresses (it will), he is still adept at getting to the rim, finishing at the rim, and passing (these three traits should improve with experience, not get worse). Defense usually improves with experience, too.

If he keeps it (relatively) up for another 5-7 games, then I think he’s basically that dude.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In 261 minutes and 12 games w/Suns Payne has 10/4/3.5 in 22 mpg. Only 1.2 tov per game. 62% TS. Even if his 3pt shooting regresses (it will), he is still adept at getting to the rim, finishing at the rim, and passing (these three traits should improve with experience, not get worse). Defense usually improves with experience, too.

If he keeps it (relatively) up for another 5-7 games, then I think he’s basically that dude.
By “that dude” you mean billups? “Mr. Big Shot?” Maybe a little cart before the horse at present. But I can honestly say he’s better than my wildest dream.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not Billups. Billups was an elite starting PG for 7ish years. But Payne could be Monte Morris/FVV level value soon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By “that dude” you mean billups? “Mr. Big Shot?” Maybe a little cart before the horse at present. But I can honestly say he’s better than my wildest dream.

just for clarity it was I, drunk on purple flavored kool-aid, who mused that maybe Payne can turn into a Billups!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne does appear legit, as a backup or part time starter. I wish he played within himself while distributing more but that can be fixed. He did it in the bubble and this year though, he tries to be flashy and throw passes that guys like Rubio and Paul can get away with but he doesn't. That is where his turnovers come from most of the time. That's a small gripe but one of my only gripes with his play.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In Suns’ opponents news:
1. Kings took Houston to the brink in H, losing by 3.
2. Canz blew out OKC

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we got off to a hot start last year too, but this feels very different. Last season our success involved guys like Baynes raining 3s, Booker was white hot and a few guys playing at a level that they'd never shown... also the bench was really bad and our defense was highly suspect.

This year... nothing about this seems unsustainable. These guys are doing stuff we've seen them do before... except for maybe Payne, who we were concerned might have been a bubble fluke. While Bridges seems to have found another gear, we've also got Booker, Paul and Ayton putting up somewhat lesser numbers than we're used to. And the team defense... it is damn good. James Jones has done a fantastic job of getting versatile players. Crowder looks like a brilliant signing. The season is young but, for the first time in ages, the Suns look like they might be one of the top defensive teams in the league.

Stay healthy fellas! And get vaccinated Arizona! I want to be able to watch this team in person come spring time. That arena with a playoff atmosphere is something I have sorely missed.

Happy new year everyone, and raise a glass to the end of the worst decade of basketball in franchise history... and hopefully the dawn of it's best.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just asked the question. Is he the third best pg on this team since Bledsoe left? I think that is true. The competition is pretty slim though.

i also said VanVleet STORY. As in pg in the gleague makes good. Not at all saying he is as good as VanVleet.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I LOVE TO WATCH THIS TEAM.

Bridges & Johnson make me so much happier. Easily my favorite guys to root for.
CP3 - ok.
Booker - Baller.
Ayton - Looks like he is trying to defend.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cams (outside of the one dud by Cam Johnson) and Bridges have been excellent on both ends of the court.

Carter is starting to come around after a rough start. Hopefully learning to play more within himself instead of trying to do too much to justify the contract.

Booker, Saric and Galloway have been very up and down.

Moore hasn't been in the rotation.

Ayton has been a defensive anchor but woefully inadequate offensively.

Crowder has been a nice offensive compliment and rebounder but has struggled defensively.

Still don't know what to make of Paul. You can see the positive influence he has on his teammates, but he remains a step slow defensively, and his shooting has been awful.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This video is focused on Cam Johnson but look at Payne boxout Gobert in that first highlight. That man is not giving up anything to anybody if he can help it. Love to see it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker made some big shots to help close out the game but Paul is like a rudder helping stabilize the ship in the closing moments.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video is focused on Cam Johnson but look at Payne boxout Gobert in that first highlight. That man is not giving up anything to anybody if he can help it. Love to see it.

Cam even made a rare missed shot... per announcer. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only watched the highlights on YouTube but they sounded pretty steady.

Those last two shots by Booker put the game away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson