Suns @ Jazz Thursday game thread 12-31-2020

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is timid on offense. He was timid on offense in college. He isn't wired to be an Alpha.

The sooner we all accept it we can move on and enjoy our 15 and 12 player

chris, there’s timid and then there’s putting up 4 points in multiple games this early in the season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Great freaking win! In spite of Ayton turtling on the offensive end. The bench was amazing and the defense is legit!

we are deeeeeep and talented.

if Ayton pulls his head outta his backside we will be a legit contender. (Not holding my breathe, his regression offensively is stunning).

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Wish I could reach through the tv and cut the mic off from those two jazz homers
They were horrible to listen to. Bolerjack sucks. I rewatched the last Kings game the earlier today and I have to give props to that crew. They were enjoyable to listen to even for the opposing fan. These Jazz guys were intolerable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can’t believe you’re arguing with the refs who watched it in slow motion in conjunction with Secaucus, NJ and upgraded it to a flagrant 1.
Hilarious. If this was the opposite you’d be arguing. The point is, if you want the refs to call things fairly for the Suns, then you have to take it both ways. Anything less is hypocritical.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hilarious. If this was the opposite you’d be arguing. The point is, if you want the refs to call things fairly for the Suns, then you have to take it both ways. Anything less is hypocritical.

So, you saw it one way and that means those of us that saw it differently are hypocritical? That's a bit arrogant Chaplin. Watch it again, get the replay we're talking about and then tell us we're being hypocritical. I'll admit, it's easy to miss especially if you just watch the first replay they put up there but the best angle shows he either hit him in the chin or missed by less than a hair and he had no business being anywhere close to his face because the ball was a good 18 inches away from Booker's body.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So, you saw it one way and that means those of us that saw it differently are hypocritical? That's a bit arrogant Chaplin. Watch it again, get the replay we're talking about and then tell us we're being hypocritical. I'll admit, it's easy to miss especially if you just watch the first replay they put up there but the best angle shows he either hit him in the chin or missed by less than a hair and he had no business being anywhere close to his face because the ball was a good 18 inches away from Booker's body.
Steve, you’re not going to change my mind. Just like I’m not going to change yours. Taken as a straight foul, I think there is plenty to argue against it being a flagrant.

Im glad the call went our way, I just think it was borderline. Sorry you take such offense to it.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In real time and on replay it was clear that O’Neale (who had been jawing Book all game, and who has been mad at him since 2018: all facts the refs surely knew) was lining up to just thrash him. He was lucky to get mostly ball, but he hip checked him hard and the intent was there.

I could see it either way, but agreed with the F1 review. Clarkson otoh DEFINITELY should have been tossed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns certainly contained the Jazz 3-point shooters (12-34) 35.3%.

Bogdanovic was 0-5 from the field (0-4 from 3-point range) with only 3 free throws.

Let's give credit to the Suns defense.

Suns hit (17-33) for 51.5% from 3-point range.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Steve, you’re not going to change my mind. Just like I’m not going to change yours. Taken as a straight foul, I think there is plenty to argue against it being a flagrant.

Im glad the call went our way, I just think it was borderline. Sorry you take such offense to it.
I agree with you on this. I was saying to myself that it was just going to be called a common foul as soon as I saw the replay. The only thing I can think of as to why they called it a flagrant was because of how aggressively he swung his arm in there.

I was very much thinking that if the Suns had been called for a flagrant on that same type of play I would probably be livid.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They were horrible to listen to. Bolerjack sucks. I rewatched the last Kings game the earlier today and I have to give props to that crew. They were enjoyable to listen to even for the opposing fan. These Jazz guys were intolerable.

I have had to find streams to watch, so I listened to the Kings announcers for both games. I too was pleasantly surprised. They were a good listen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns' defense has been very strong so far this season, and Ayton deserves a lot of the credit for that. If he's able to perform at only one end of the floor, it's better to have it be that one. The team has enough other scorers. Ayton may end up more in the Marcus Camby direction, as a center whose calling card is defense and who can shoot just enough to keep defenses honest.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on this. I was saying to myself that it was just going to be called a common foul as soon as I saw the replay. The only thing I can think of as to why they called it a flagrant was because of how aggressively he swung his arm in there.

I was very much thinking that if the Suns had been called for a flagrant on that same type of play I would probably be livid.

The replay they showed over and over doesn't reveal this but there is one replay angle where it looks clear that he unjustifiably clipped Booker's chin (IOW, not a simple accident). If I'm wrong and the refs didn't call the flagrant for that reason or if the league office doesn't agree with that view, I'm pretty sure it will be downgraded to a common foul.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm going with the professionals over you. The correct call was made by professional referees both in the stadium and in the Secaucus, New Jersey NBA Replay Center with access to all angles and speeds. Hypocrisy doesn't enter into it. If you want to continue to call the ocean red, be my guest.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'd take that bet. Ayton will average less than 15 ppg this season.
Really impossible to know right now how Ayton and Paul will operate together as the season progresses.

What I do know is that Ayton averaged more than 15 the last 2 years with lesser PGs than Paul, but this year's team also has more capable scorers than it's had the last couple seasons so that could simply mean less shots for Ayton regardless.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose