BR: Most likely landing spots for Patrick Peterson.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is the Cards will franchise tag Peterson. When you look at the team as a whole and the FA class, I think they will decide to give themselves another year to try to add CB talent. I know a lot of people won't like it, but my guess is that is what they will do.
and now Reddick has thrown a wrench in this. As much as the "right" move would be to let both of these guys get overpaid on the market, collect the comp picks, and then draft more cheap talent...I still don't trust Keim's drafts enough to do that with Kyler on a rookie deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My guess is the Cards will franchise tag Peterson. When you look at the team as a whole and the FA class, I think they will decide to give themselves another year to try to add CB talent. I know a lot of people won't like it, but my guess is that is what they will do.
While I wouldn’t be thrilled it’s better than signing him to a multi year oversized contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and now Reddick has thrown a wrench in this. As much as the "right" move would be to let both of these guys get overpaid on the market, collect the comp picks, and then draft more cheap talent...I still don't trust Keim's drafts enough to do that with Kyler on a rookie deal.
That’s the problem. Keim squanders draft picks with bad selections.

I look at the corner position and see this:

1. declining PP who won’t be worth multiyear deal of big dollars. And a dude who just won’t give a hometown discount.

2. a second year average slot corner.

3. a lot of dreck.

4. a position where Keim’s draft record is crap on top of his general draft record being crap.

5. a free agent signing record where he’s been mediocre.

6. a guy who has shown talent at trades.

seems the last course of action is the only one that provides a glimmer of hope. So I’m onboard letting PP walk or franchising and trading draft picks for a talented corner.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Cards should look into a trade over the offseason. There's gotta be some corner on a middling team heading into a contract year next year that a team's trying to get rid of. Our cap situation is rough next year. We only have around 22 million to work with. If we sign Peterson, we likely won't be able to make any huge moves over the offseason, which would suck, because we have some major holes that we need to plug. Defensive tackle, running back, and WR2 come to mind. Only way I see us signing Peterson is if we can get a hometown discount, which won't happen, because there's bound to be a team willing to overpay him. Could easily see him heading to the Jags given their cap situation + the Florida connection. Of course, given the fact that I said this, be prepared for us to pay him something ridiculous, like a 5 year, 60 million dollar deal.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score

1. declining PP who won’t be worth multiyear deal of big dollars. And a dude who just won’t give a hometown discount.

3. a lot of dreck.

4. a position where Keim’s draft record is crap on top of his general draft record being crap.

seems the last course of action is the only one that provides a glimmer of hope. So I’m onboard letting PP walk or franchising and trading draft picks for a talented corner.
I have lost track of how many games peterson has given up 2 or less receptions. He only gave up 1 last week, but still had great coverage on the play.

Problem is, he is still one of the best cbs in the NFL. So not sure why you want to get rid of him.

If cards can't get a fair long term deal done you franchise him.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have lost track of how many games peterson has given up 2 or less receptions. He only gave up 1 last week, but still had great coverage on the play.

Problem is, he is still one of the best cbs in the NFL. So not sure why you want to get rid of him.

If cards can't get a fair long term deal done you franchise him.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

this.

it’s like if he’s not getting a pick 6 every game he’s horrible. Fact is he’s still by far our best CB

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
PP21 is not elite anymore.

How would you rank him...top 10, top 20, or?
He is probably top 15, absolutely top 20.

1 - Ramsey
2 - Humphrey
3 - White
4 - Howard
5 - Jones
6 - Gilmore
7 - Slay
8 - Hayward
9 - LAttimore
10 - Haden
11 - Alexander

I am pretty confident no one will argue about those guys being better than Peterson even with Slay having an off year.

After that, I think it is debatable.

Denzel Ward?
AJ Bouye?
Marcus Peters?
Kyler Fuller?
Jonathan Jones?
Charvarius Ward?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tell us.

Who are the 9 or 19 better?

see Choppers post above.

also note none of the guys in that list used PEDs and have watched their game continually worsen after getting busted for them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
see Choppers post above.

also note none of the guys in that list used PEDs and have watched their game continually worsen after getting busted for them.
The issue becomes the number, right. If it is 3yrs and 30 mil, I don't hate that and it actually falls right around the 18th highest paid CB. If it is 15 mil...hard pass. The franchise tag? I could stomach it but what does that mean for Reddick?

Such an interesting situation and debate.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3. a lot of dreck.

I agree with everything you said until the last part. We just don't have the cap space to fill all of our needs next year. I definitely want to see the numbers on a PP deal before letting him walk.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said until the last part. We just don't have the cap space to fill all of our needs next year. I definitely want to see the numbers on a PP deal before letting him walk.
We also have to consider that the price of free agents should be depressed as well due to team's lack of cap space and players cut by teams to get under the cap or increase space.

It is going to be a buyers market.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
see Choppers post above.

your crazy if you don’t think half the nfl is hopped up on PED’s you think guys are naturally this big, strong and fast. The NFL knows about and turns a blind eye just like Baseball did for all them years till they couldn’t anymore.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also have to consider that the price of free agents should be depressed as well due to team's lack of cap space and players cut by teams to get under the cap or increase space.

It is going to be a buyers market.

Of course, but we have a lot of team to 'buy.' It has already been shown that we have the highest amount of free agents by percentage, including some high priced ones. We definitely have a lot of tough decisions to make this offseason.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Agree with Chopper that 8-10 million per year has to be the max for Peterson. I assume the Cards will put an offer on the table in the neighborhood of 25-30 million for 3 years, and that some team will give him a better offer, so he walks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Jimmy Smith just signed a one year $5mm deal with the Ravens, thus passing on being a UFA CB this offseason

that tells you what the market for players will look like