Who’s bright idea was it to put the game on amazon

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful and I foresee Roku in my future.

FWIW I'm told it's a tv issue not a Roku issue with the built in apps. Both my TV's are TCL which is sort of a lower end version of LG tv's they have lots of the same parts but it's cheaper and from what I've read, the Amazon app that's pre installed on both TCL and LG is more buggy than on other Smart tv's. The Fire stick or a Roku is so cheap and it works better than the built in Roku on the tv so I just plug in one end to the HDMI port, the cord to power, and use it. You do end up with an extra remote as a result, you turn it on with the TV remote, switch it to Roku, and then you use the Roku remote. That's the one downside, if the built in Roku app works then you don't need that.

If you buy a tv that has it built in personally I would test if first, if yours works great then you don't need a stand alone Roku or Fire stick, if it doesn't then you choose what to buy.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya I know, but was talking about the future of streaming. Mentioned that Amazon could outbid anyone including dazn. I would love for dazn to get it, I subscribe to them as well, love boxing.

Here's a thought.

Get ExpressVPN that will allow you to create a new virtual location.

Open a new DAZN account from say, Canada - and then you have their full package including the NFL at $15/20 a month.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I'm told it's a tv issue not a Roku issue with the built in apps. Both my TV's are TCL which is sort of a lower end version of LG tv's they have lots of the same parts but it's cheaper and from what I've read, the Amazon app that's pre installed on both TCL and LG is more buggy than on other Smart tv's. The Fire stick or a Roku is so cheap and it works better than the built in Roku on the tv so I just plug in one end to the HDMI port, the cord to power, and use it. You do end up with an extra remote as a result, you turn it on with the TV remote, switch it to Roku, and then you use the Roku remote. That's the one downside, if the built in Roku app works then you don't need that.

If you buy a tv that has it built in personally I would test if first, if yours works great then you don't need a stand alone Roku or Fire stick, if it doesn't then you choose what to buy.
Smart TV software is close to worthless

Chromecast and roku are great, fire stick is very amazon centric

I just about never use the 'smart' part of my TV but nobody will sell you a high end TV with the dumb 'smart' part.

All you need is a hdmi input

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
For you guys that are new to the streaming stuff I'd highly recommend getting an AppleTV if you're an iPhone user. The UI and how it works is very similar so you should be able to get up to speed with it quickly. It's what I'd get my Mom if I were to buy her a box for that reason. Only down side is that it's on the pricier end. It along with the nVidia Shield are the most powerful streaming boxes though and it always gets any new service on launch day.

If you want to go with a cheaper option then I'd get a FireStick, especially if Amazon gets the NFL contract. It's be the next best option for ease getting going. I'm not a fan of Roku at all and would avoid them. They're full of ads and they track data for selling. You're part of the product offering.

Hit me with any questions. I deal with this stuff for work and home theater is my big hobby.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart TV software is close to worthless

Chromecast and roku are great, fire stick is very amazon centric

I just about never use the 'smart' part of my TV but nobody will sell you a high end TV with the dumb 'smart' part.

All you need is a hdmi input

I haven't tried Chromecast but I'm sure it's good. The one thing I don't like with my 2 TV's and I think it's because of Roku and TCL is I can't cast to them. If I've got something on the computer I want to cast, or my phone it will detect the tv but then says it doesn't support casting. Chromecast would solve that.

The firestick has basically everything, we don't subscribe to Netflix or Hulu but they're both there if we wanted to. With Roku one good thing is they have the Xfinity tv app, we have Xfinity with a box in one room but in the bedroom we just use Roku to stream it, open the app no box required.

I agree on the tv though most of the Smart stuff is pretty worthless. My old LG I used to get constant messages that the wifi was too slow to update the software for the tv. So I had a long ethernet to plug in and do it that way. Meanwhile we were streaming movies on Amazon and all sorts of things using the exact same wifi that the tv was saying was too slow. I googled it and everyone who had an LG had that problem it was actually their software that did the downloads, not the wifi, that bogged it down.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Here's a thought.

Get ExpressVPN that will allow you to create a new virtual location.

Open a new DAZN account from say, Canada - and then you have their full package including the NFL at $15/20 a month.
We'll see what happens. That would be more costly then I pay direct tv. As the call.rvery years makes it free.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use smart tv apps in my room all the time on an LG, never have issues. Living rooms I pump everything through the xbox. Camping I use a firestick

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use smart tv apps in my room all the time on an LG, never have issues. Living rooms I pump everything through the xbox. Camping I use a firestick

You take a Firestick camping??? That ain't camping. You prolly don't even take a skillet, Uber Eats delivers to you. Do you take your teddy bear, too?? lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You take a Firestick camping??? That ain't camping. You prolly don't even take a skillet, Uber Eats delivers to you. Do you take your teddy bear, too?? lol
My initial test run was the weekend of the Panthers game. Instead of waiting to get home on Tuesday, we went offroading all day and at about 10pm Sunday night my son and I posted up at the top of mingus mountain and watched the Cardinals game in the back of my truck on the firestick. It began as an effort to not end camping trips to go watch football and then turned into also watching movies after dark, especially when fires are banned as having no fire is pretty boring after dark.

My truck shell was supposed to deliver mid December and still isn't here. Once I get that I'm building storage for our gear inside and then mounting a small flat screen on a swivel so when we do want movies or football, it'll be right there.

We spent one weekend camping on the mogollin rim in the location that dude was abducted in "fire in the sky". We didn't tell the kids about it and thought the movie could freak them out but it doesn't hold up very well and they didn't get scared at all.

We still sleep in the truck bed or in hammocks and have a super minimalist setup. I'll never be an rv camper. I'm just turning my truck into a backpacking setup. It's fkn awesome.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really with NFL would do what NBA does where you can either buy the whole ticket, just your teams season or ala Carte for individual games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial test run was the weekend of the Panthers game. Instead of waiting to get home on Tuesday, we went offroading all day and at about 10pm Sunday night my son and I posted up at the top of mingus mountain and watched the Cardinals game in the back of my truck on the firestick. It began as an effort to not end camping trips to go watch football and then turned into also watching movies after dark, especially when fires are banned as having no fire is pretty boring after dark.

My truck shell was supposed to deliver mid December and still isn't here. Once I get that I'm building storage for our gear inside and then mounting a small flat screen on a swivel so when we do want movies or football, it'll be right there.

We spent one weekend camping on the mogollin rim in the location that dude was abducted in "fire in the sky". We didn't tell the kids about it and thought the movie could freak them out but it doesn't hold up very well and they didn't get scared at all.

credit where credit’s due... regardless of the movie holding up, the bolded was a pretty hilarious and twisted way to screw with your kids.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

We still sleep in the truck bed or in hammocks and have a super minimalist setup. I'll never be an rv camper. I'm just turning my truck into a backpacking setup. It's fkn awesome.

What you needed to do is rig a big spotlight up in the trees. Then after the movie when one of them went out to pee turn it on while when they walked under it. :D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you needed to do is rig a big spotlight up in the trees. Then after the movie when one of them went out to pee turn it on while when they walked under it. :D

if only they actually paid full attention and bought in, that would have been amazing! Next time I will just put on a frightening movie about demons in the woods or something. damn kids.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I camped a lot back in the day... now, the Westin Kierland Villas is what I call camping.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I camped a lot back in the day... now, the Westin Kierland Villas is what I call camping.

We're still pretty hardcore about it and at this point I have gone from the type of camper 15 years ago that brought the kitchen sink to now I just have thin sleeping pads, sleeping bags and a cooler. we can set up camp in about 5 minutes and tear it down in about the same. We generally do not sit in one spot and instead just camp randomly anywhere and then the next day wake up and go offroading or adventuring all day and once done, just post up camp anywhere again. I like it a LOT more than just being stationary for the weekend. The last trip we went to my favorite cliff jumping spot in winslow but winslow is dirty and desert and it sucks so we camped an hour south in the woods, woke up and went cliff jumping/adventuring all day and once the sun went down, we just drove back to the woods and set up camp. I'm in love with it.

I have a milk crate that contains my whole kitchen except for my coleman grill. Cast irons, silverare, plates, all the stuff we need. This weekend we are going out and I'ma be doing tri tip and potatoes one night and a mac n cheese in the cast iron the other night. Just going to precook the noodles and should be good to go once out there.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're still pretty hardcore about it and at this point I have gone from the type of camper 15 years ago that brought the kitchen sink to now I just have thin sleeping pads, sleeping bags and a cooler.

My camping days (Montana, Wyo, Idaho) always revolved around fishing some creek or lake out in the boondocks that we'd have to ourselves. Mainly ate fish, just took cornmeal for the fish, potatoes or corn to cook in campfire, Dutch oven for biscuits. Pup tent, military mess kit to eat out of, a canteen, couple packs of Camels and a 1/5 of whiskey. TV hadn't even been invented yet... haha

PS, every thread ever created here goes off track at some point, so I make no excuses for it here.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My camping days (Montana, Wyo, Idaho) always revolved around fishing some creek or lake out in the boondocks that we'd have to ourselves. Mainly ate fish, just took cornmeal for the fish, potatoes or corn to cook in campfire, Dutch oven for biscuits. Pup tent, military mess kit to eat out of, a canteen and a 1/5 of whiskey. TV hadn't even been invented yet... haha

PS, every thread ever created here goes off track at some point, so I make no excuses for it here.
outside of eating fish, I am in!

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Glad most people had a good experience with it.

Unfortunately my firestick pictured below must not be up to snuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My camping days (Montana, Wyo, Idaho) always revolved around fishing some creek or lake out in the boondocks that we'd have to ourselves. Mainly ate fish, just took cornmeal for the fish, potatoes or corn to cook in campfire, Dutch oven for biscuits. Pup tent, military mess kit to eat out of, a canteen and a 1/5 of whiskey. TV hadn't even been invented yet... haha

:hijack:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
no issues with Firestick but still pissed I can’t rewind or pause or record

Facts.

Only in America do we go backwards with our progress.

For over 25 years, I have been able to pause, record, rewind, etc., etc., TV. Now.....I cannot because we have "progressed".

But oh well, just one crappy game, with a crappy effort by the team, to complete this crap soup football Saturday.

Next week will be back to the old DTV, and someone, at some point will come out with something that will allow for the recording of what you stream in a DVR type format, with controls, etc., etc.

Of course it will be a third party since progress these days is always forced, never innovated.

Meh. It is just football, just another reason to turn off the boob tube and do something better with my time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Facts.

Only in America do we go backwards with our progress.

For over 25 years, I have been able to pause, record, rewind, etc., etc., TV. Now.....I cannot because we have "progressed".

But oh well, just one crappy game, with a crappy effort by the team, to complete this crap soup football Saturday.

Next week will be back to the old DTV, and someone, at some point will come out with something that will allow for the recording of what you stream in a DVR type format, with controls, etc., etc.

Of course it will be a third party since progress these days is always forced, never innovated.

Meh. It is just football, just another reason to turn off the boob tube and do something better with my time.

I haven't tested it because the game sucked but I assume if you watched the game on Amazon Prime you can watch it again. It would appear in a recently watched list and in theory you can just watch again, and if so it would have FF and Rewind,

But I haven't tested it.

That was my biggest issue btw with streaming Sunday Ticket, you couldn't record it

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad most people had a good experience with it.

Unfortunately my firestick pictured below must not be up to snuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

So you're the guy who sends all that spam to my email.