Is it confirmed Streveler will go if Kyler can't?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Here's what I've thought about Streveler being the backup most of the year - that we have packages designed for him, and that he could potentially play in a pinch, but for a long-term miss or full game, we'd hand it over to Hundley.

I haven't been following a ton of news since Sunday. Has there been any talk of Hundley maybe taking the start? I don't have a ton of faith in him, but more than a guy who has never thrown a pass against an NFL defense in a play-in game for the playoffs.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude started a thread (Taylor) about Streveler being the answer on Sunday instead of KM. Check it out. At least one OP thinks he's just click bait because he just signed up with us lol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate topic. Kyler will likely start but what if he goes out there and doesn't feel right. We could end up seeing the backup quarterback. I thought Streveler only ran special packages as well.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to have both Hundley and Streveler active for the Rams game.

Note: I just learned the Cardinals have worked out quarterbacks Cole McDonald and former Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate.

https://arizonasports.com/story/249...-qb-cole-mcdonald-former-wildcat-khalil-tate/

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've thought about Streveler being the backup most of the year - that we have packages designed for him, and that he could potentially play in a pinch, but for a long-term miss or full game, we'd hand it over to Hundley.

I haven't been following a ton of news since Sunday. Has there been any talk of Hundley maybe taking the start? I don't have a ton of faith in him, but more than a guy who has never thrown a pass against an NFL defense in a play-in game for the playoffs.
At his Monday presser, Kingsbury said Streveler is "definitely" the backup if Murray can't go. Check the 6:18 mark here.

...dave

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At his Monday presser, Kingsbury said Streveler is "definitely" the backup if Murray can't go. Check the 6:18 mark here.

...dave
I listened to that as well. I can't figure out why he passed up Hundley on the depth chart? Dude hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL yet & Hundley has like 9 or 10 starts. Hundley even came in & won the game for us against Seattle last season.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to that as well. I can't figure out why he passed up Hundley on the depth chart? Dude hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL yet & Hundley has like 9 or 10 starts. Hundley even came in & won the game for us against Seattle last season.

Yes it was a pretty weird decision
A guy who has showed to be a legit qb2 replaced by a CFL third string qb with a bad throwing motion
And the decision was taken from a former nfl qb, and a coach who worked with super talented kids
Probably he saw something we couldn't see from the videos, maybe he made some great improvements in the last year
Don't know, I was shocked when I read he was the number 2 in the depth chart

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A guy who has showed to be a legit qb2 replaced by a CFL third string qb with a bad throwing motion
There was a 2 minute video posted of him in another thread, his mechanics look bad. I watched him for a handful of plays in the Red & White game & they look way better so maybe KK has worked with him on that? I know this, if KM doesn't play Sunday (he will) we'd better hope the dude has improved significantly?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Cole McDonald but what I've read, he put up some good stats at quarterback.

I've always thought Khalil Tate belongs in the NFL. He was an excellent running quarterback at Arizona. I believe he could make it in the NFL as a running back or wide receiver.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know much about Cole McDonald but what I've read, he put up some good stats at quarterback.

I've always thought Khalil Tate belongs in the NFL. He was an excellent running quarterback at Arizona. I believe he could make it in the NFL as a running back or wide receiver.
He put up those numbers playing in the Run -N- Shoot offense at Hawaii installed by June Jones. Not sure if he played for him or not because Jones left to take the SMU job a couple years ago. Probably a similar version though?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weird how this mirrors last year.
Hurt week 16 vs. a divisional opponent.
Then played week 17 at the Rams. Backup comes in the game for a drive.

I think the fact Hundley didnt move the ball much throwing last year is why they are keen on Strev. If they are going with the ground game in relief of Kyler they'd prefer the better athlete.

Taylor

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And the decision was taken from a former nfl qb, and a coach who worked with super talented kids
Probably he saw something we couldn't see from the videos, maybe he made some great improvements in the last year
Don't know, I was shocked when I read he was the number 2 in the depth chart

Lol. Thats what they said about brady and even kyler Murray. Streveler is a winner.

Murray hasn't played well the last few games. He doesn't have it

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

...dave
Thanks for the heads up. I don't love Hundley from his time in Green Bay, so I'm not going to call it a terrible idea if they feel one guy can run an offense they'd prefer in this situation, regardless of experience.

Taylor

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hope murray is out. We need this win. But packers gonna beat bears anyway.

Murray is lost out there

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundley knows the offense. He can move. I think it’s stupid starting Streveler. I can see Ryan Lindley type stats.

Stupid. Just like going on 4th and 4 on your on 30 yard line with 8 minutes to play.

Reactions: PJ1

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

...dave

Yep he's confirmed this several times this year.

Also note, the rams are saying Bortles is the #2 not the #3, so if Wolford struggles or got hurt, Bortles would come in not the other guy.

So you have a situation where potentially both teams will start a QB who has never thrown a pass in a regular season NFL game, and both will be backed up by NFL veterans. Bortles and Hundley most be elated!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundley knows the offense. He can move. I think it’s stupid starting Streveler. I can see Ryan Lindley type stats.

Stupid. Just like going on 4th and 4 on your on 30 yard line with 8 minutes to play.

My take is first I think they believe Murray will play, but they want to put out there it will be Streveler if Kyler can't go because it forces the Rams to prepare for him, the way the Pats had to.

IF Kyler can't play, I think Streveler starts and I think we go to a heavy run based offense, only safe play action passes. I think the idea is the Rams will be doing essentially the same thing so the hope would be we can keep the game close by playing a heavy run based time of possession offense. IF that happens and we fall behind, and have to pass, we probably bring in Hundley. I suspect the Rams will do the same thing if the game is close stay with Wolford, if they fall behind and have to throw, they might bring in Bortles.

just a guess not something I've read.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My take is first I think they believe Murray will play, but they want to put out there it will be Streveler if Kyler can't go because it forces the Rams to prepare for him, the way the Pats had to.

IF Kyler can't play, I think Streveler starts and I think we go to a heavy run based offense, only safe play action passes. I think the idea is the Rams will be doing essentially the same thing so the hope would be we can keep the game close by playing a heavy run based time of possession offense. IF that happens and we fall behind, and have to pass, we probably bring in Hundley. I suspect the Rams will do the same thing if the game is close stay with Wolford, if they fall behind and have to throw, they might bring in Bortles.

I think both coaches are trying not to show their hands. With the Rams, we know that Goff is definitely not playing. Bringing in Bortale, gives them an element of someone that is similar to Goff and knows the offense.

Where for us, we are trying to minimize updates on Kyler. I believe he will play. He got an extra day to rest/heal. We should not be in a win and you are in scenario, but here we are. Go Cards!

Taylor

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Streveler excels in spread. Cards dont change a thing. Streveler is a better runner. Murray runs around and does nothing.

Open it up and let him beat the rams. He has experience and has played in bigger games

Taylor

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think both coaches are trying not to show their hands. With the Rams, we know that Goff is definitely not playing. Bringing in Bortale, gives them an element of someone that is similar to Goff and knows the offense.

Where for us, we are trying to minimize updates on Kyler. I believe he will play. He got an extra day to rest/heal. We should not be in a win and you are in scenario, but here we are. Go Cards!

Packers beat bears so they will know score and rest everyone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He put up those numbers playing in the Run -N- Shoot offense at Hawaii installed by June Jones. Not sure if he played for him or not because Jones left to take the SMU job a couple years ago. Probably a similar version though?

I've watched Tate but I haven't watched McDonald so I'm not sure what type of offense he played in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave