Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday game thread 12-29-2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuesday the Suns return home to face the Pelicans before hitting the road again for back-to-back games on Thursday and Friday against the Jazz and Nuggets respectively.

Pelicans are 2-1 for the season having beat the Raptors and Spurs but losing to the Heat.

Suns are 2-1 as well having beat the Mavericks and Kings with also a loss to the Kings.

Start time is listed at 8 p.m. Arizona time.

It will be televised nationally on TNT.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news is Dario Saric is listed as probable.

Jalen Smith and Abdel Nader are out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tracked the schedules of other teams but it sure seems like the Suns are getting more than their share of back-to-back games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't tracked the schedules of other teams but it sure seems like the Suns are getting more than their share of back-to-back games.

A total of 9 in the first half of the season. Among the most in the NBA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until the pandemic I was hoping the NBA was getting away from back-to-back games.

Admittedly I am not a fan especially if the games are not played in the same location.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At least the Suns have depth this year. Some would argue that the bench is better then the starters.
I wouldn’t say the bench is better than the starters. I’d say the bench may be more talented than other benches compared to our starters’ talent compared to other starters.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the Suns have depth this year. Some would argue that the bench is better then the starters.

The Orlando bubble is where the Suns bench shined. It should be even better with the return of Saric. I've come to expect the Suns bench to be better than the opposing bench on most nights.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wondering how long Monty will stick with Carter if he continues to play poorly. Galloway and Moore should be getting the min.

I'm curious about this too. Galloway is obviously a way better shooter. Carter plays aggressive defense but Payne can do that as well and is quicker too, and Payne can drive and score.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have a 3 year, $11.5 million investment in Jevon Carter so I'm sure they will give him every opportunity to get going although I think Monty prioritizes winning. Hopefully his shooting will improve.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns have a 3 year, $11.5 million investment in Jevon Carter so I'm sure they will give him every opportunity to get going although I think Monty prioritizes winning. Hopefully his shooting will improve.

That's really a very tiny investment in NBA terms.

If he can't hit the three, he won't be getting minutes, except in blowouts where Monty wants to try to shake things up to try and get back into a game with some full court press D.

I'm not really worried about it. There will be stretches of the season he gets minutes and stretches he doesn't just like last season. Let's just hope Cam Payne and Galloway keep playing well enough he doesn't need to see any minutes.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go suns good test vs pels

Looking to see paul Booker ayton continues to play well togather

Hope smith returns quickly was really wanting to see him play:(

Least dario is back he provide needed bench depth!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really a very tiny investment in NBA terms.

If he can't hit the three, he won't be getting minutes, except in blowouts where Monty wants to try to shake things up to try and get back into a game with some full court press D.

I'm not really worried about it. There will be stretches of the season he gets minutes and stretches he doesn't just like last season. Let's just hope Cam Payne and Galloway keep playing well enough he doesn't need to see any minutes.

The Suns won't be quick to abandon Carter because of his in your face defense. That is where he has built his reputation. I'm not worried about his shooting because it will come around. Monty does have a problem finding who is hot on a particular night.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
For the players, I like the back top back in one city like we did in Sac to minimize travel.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

As they build a relationship with one of the all-time greats, one of his former teammates, JJ Redick, says they’ll learn over time what makes Paul unlike any teammate he’s ever had.

“Chris has a unique ability to squeeze the juice out of every possession in every game,” Redick said. “He’s going to figure out a way to get an advantage on both sides of the ball on every possession.”

---------------------------------------------------------

“He demands that of you as a teammate and because he does it, you really have no choice,” Redick continued. “And I think that ultimately, whether he says a word or not, and obviously we know Chris likes to chat, you’re going to respond to that because you see someone doing that.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ay-says-former-teammate-jj-redick/4069922001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul credits Cam Payne for being the energy guy for the whole team. Quite the compliment. Wish there was some way to sign Payne to a new contract now but I guess not.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
This is the first I've ever heard of this referee before. Seriously? 0-9? I will be watching him very closely tonight.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Considering how bad the Suns have been, I don't think its that unique that a ref has only officiated Suns losses.
Was about to say the same thing. I would venture to guess he isn't the only ref who has never officiated a Suns win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty confirms Dario Saric is active.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty appreciates what Mikal Bridges brings on both ends of the court.