What the 9er loss may have meant...and what Sunday might confirm.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Rather than continue to get dragged down into the minutia, dissecting Kyler to death...ranting about Joseph's short-comings, shoving Kirk down on the depth chart, attacking Mason Cole for inexcusable mental mishaps and throwing PP21 onto the trash-heap, I'll simply say that the grotesque display of football this team & the coaches produced last week may mean:

- Larry will never play another down on home turf, ever again.

- Kliff, for all his shortcomings, is not even in the same conversation as other coaches, specifically NFC West coaches, when it comes to being able to inspire a team and get them to buy into a mission and a purpose. McVay, Carroll and Shanahan have all proven the ability to rally their teams to reach performance levels that extend beyond common perceptions. Be it injuries or otherwise, those coaches ignite a fire within their players and lift them to higher ground. Is it that the Cards players don't trust Kliff and therefore, they refuse to buy into his plans and schemes? Do they not like Kliff as a person? Interesting...

- Do we simply not have players who are capable of inspiring others? CJ Beathard, along with George Kittle, somehow willed their fellow players, many of whom are 2nd and 3rd string players, to perform at levels they likely didn't know they could ever reach. Russell Wilson routinely inspires his fellow players, along with Bobby Wagner, to achieve results that outstretch their own imaginations... the Cardinals have seemingly lacked this team dynamic ever since Warner retired and Boldin left.

Next Sunday, the Cardinals have somehow found themselves in control of their own destiny. They might be facing a team led by a QB that has never taken a NFL snap. And even if Goff plays, a broken thumb would certainly make him less than 100%. The Rams will also be without their starting RB, AND their back-up RB! They are also extremely banged up across their o-line with their LT position in serious question.

Not sure what Vegas will do in terms of calling the Cards the favorite or the Dog, but that doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter to the Cardinals one iota. The Cardinals have never beaten McVay and Goff. Heck, they've never even come close to beating them! I believe the Rams are the better team and IMHO, even if Goff sits out, I believe the Rams are totally capable of beating the Cardinals without a legit NFL QB.
But it's truly impossible for me to comprehend that Kliff, his coaches and every singly player isn't taken this game personally. Like I said, I don't expect a victory... BUT, I do expect to see a team that gives maximum effort from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. If... If we see another performance similar to what crapped all over State Farm Stadium on Saturday, I honestly can't come up with one valid reason as to why Kliff should retain his job...

Sunday promises to be an epically telling day for certain...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree if we see a similar effort to what we just witnessed, KK should be gone as well as Vance! We need players that want to play and be physical I feel like this team is just soft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we lose and look that uninspired yeah time to change coaches. i think the thing people have to remember is Kyler doesn't play our defense, and their QB's aren't playing their defense. When people talk up Goff against Kyler remember Goff doesn't have to deal with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey, Kyler does. Kyler doesn't play well against the Rams because they have one of the more talented defenses in the NFL Fewest yards allowed, fewest yards per play allowed, 2nd fewest first downs lowest yards per attempt passing, 3rd lowest YPA running, fewest TD's, 3rd fewest points. They are an elite defense, and they match up really well against what we try to do because Donald is so good.

We had some success in the 2nd half against them but we'll see how much of that was just garbage time and how much was real. Kliff HAS to change his schemes to move the ball against them unless he thinks without Goff, we'll slow their offense down so he doesn't need to take risks on offense.

But if we come out that flat again yes by all means can Kliff, 2 straight must wins against backup QB"s can't be that bad.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am extremely hesitant to play the whole psychological aspect of players and coaches. Really, this whole 'the coaches did not give them the heart and willpower' is so very assuming because then you get into the whole swamp of Mitch. Unless you are privy to be on the sidelines and the locker room, such conjecture has little weight. This is professional sports, these are professional athletes, and the rah rah aspect for me is not what gets a guy going and that frankly is a internal part of the players removed from a coach having to light a fire under their arse

Character is just as important as athletic ability and that cannot be coached if a guy has not had enough personal growth for this profession up to this point. Our DL/OL are simply getting pushed around because some of our guys are not as physical as the opponents and all it takes is one guy to get pushed around to have a whole unit fall apart trying to compensate. You are on a grand stage. You get a big paycheck. Our coaching staff by all means can be guilty of not scheming right (which you correctly alluded to) but not inspiring grown men who happen to be playing a physical contact sport were one thinks it's required for one to be thinking about their coach to inspire them while they are getting punched in the moment without a safety net. High school definitely, college sometimes but never professionally

I do agree about character Grad82, but what concerns me now is the players we have because this is not about coaching to inspire

Last edited:

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
After that miserable, pathetic effort and performance on Saturday I have to admit there was a part of me that wanted CHI and LA to just put me out of my misery yesterday and be done with it. I realize that may make me a lower level or “bad”fan to those of you that choose to rate and assign a score or title to other people’s fandom.

Of course now we are right back where we were going into Saturday’s game and even with Goff’s thumb situation so far there is just no excitement or buzz for me going into this game. That’s how bad that effort against the 9ers was. It sucked all of the spirit out of me for this season and O swear I’m not falling for false hope again. Seriously, you came out and did THAT against THAT team in the biggest game of the year to date? I still almost can’t believe what I saw.

If they win, and that’s a mighty big if, then great. We limp to a winning record and get one more game and ultimately yes, those are very good things. From there it’s any given Sunday, and all that jazz...

BUT

I feel like a 9-7 record and a playoff berth will sweep a lot of the glaring issues with this team under the rug and the status quo will remain in place through the offseason going into next season.

That abysmal performance against a crippled SF team with what was at stake already told me everything I need to know about this team. Right now I don’t care about Sunday’s game.

I’m sure come the end of the week cynicism will once again give way to a glimmer of hope and I’ll convince myself that we have a chance this week, whatever else happened doesn’t matter, etc. As of today though, I can’t mind trick myself into unseeing what I saw Saturday and woo, that was awful.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this reads like you're a fly on the wall in every NFL locker room. Can't believe you wasted your time dreaming that up and typing it out. Can I bill you for my time spent reading that?

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
After that miserable, pathetic effort and performance on Saturday I have to admit there was a part of me that wanted CHI and LA to just put me out of my misery yesterday and be done with it. I realize that may make me a lower level or “bad”fan to those of you that choose to rate and assign a score or title to other people’s fandom.

Of course now we are right back where we were going into Saturday’s game and even with Goff’s thumb situation so far there is just no excitement or buzz for me going into this game. That’s how bad that effort against the 9ers was. It sucked all of the spirit out of me for this season and O swear I’m not falling for false hope again. Seriously, you came out and did THAT against THAT team in the biggest game of the year to date? I still almost can’t believe what I saw.

If they win, and that’s a mighty big if, then great. We limp to a winning record and get one more game and ultimately yes, those are very good things. From there it’s any given Sunday, and all that jazz...

BUT

I feel like a 9-7 record and a playoff berth will sweep a lot of the glaring issues with this team under the rug and the status quo will remain in place through the offseason going into next season.

That abysmal performance against a crippled SF team with what was at stake already told me everything I need to know about this team. Right now I don’t care about Sunday’s game.

I’m sure come the end of the week cynicism will once again give way to a glimmer of hope and I’ll convince myself that we have a chance this week, whatever else happened doesn’t matter, etc. As of today though, I can’t mind trick myself into unseeing what I saw Saturday and woo, that was awful.

Perfectly stated D! Hope you had a great Christmas buddy and all is well on your end. It's amazing that this damn team is dragging us through the emotional grinder of potentially being in the playoffs, in back to back weeks... Only the Cards... :mad:

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
I certainly agree that a team takes on the personality of its coach. And I agree that to date KK has failed to demonstrate any ability to inspire men. However it has been and remains my belief that the biggest cancer on this team is Patrick Peterson. From a skill perspective he is a huge liability. From an attitude perspective he is even worse. He makes no effort to ever stop a ball carrier. I absolutely believe he is afraid to hit. His lackadaisical effort has to infect the young players on the team who watch one of their supposed leaders just go through the motions. The sooner he is gone the sooner he can be replaced with players that play with heart and passion and the sooner we can change the soft culture reputation this team has earned.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Perfectly stated D! Hope you had a great Christmas buddy and all is well on your end. It's amazing that this damn team is dragging us through the emotional grinder of potentially being in the playoffs, in back to back weeks... Only the Cards... :mad:

82, my guy!! Yes, all is well here man. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Yup it’s like here we go again this week. I guess it could be worse. The NFCE teams’ fans have probably been dealing with this for like the last 6 or 7 weeks :mrgreen:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were ripping on Kingsbury's coaching, his coaching background and the Cards on ESPN radio early this morning on my drive to work. Not the right kind of national publicity.

In order to win on Sunday, Kliff and Vance are going to have to coach and game plan the hell out of this. This is their chance to prove that they are up for the job.

Hope springs eternal.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I certainly agree that a team takes on the personality of its coach. And I agree that to date KK has failed to demonstrate any ability to inspire men. However it has been and remains my belief that the biggest cancer on this team is Patrick Peterson. From a skill perspective he is a huge liability. From an attitude perspective he is even worse. He makes no effort to ever stop a ball carrier. I absolutely believe he is afraid to hit. His lackadaisical effort has to infect the young players on the team who watch one of their supposed leaders just go through the motions. The sooner he is gone the sooner he can be replaced with players that play with heart and passion and the sooner we can change the soft culture reputation this team has earned.

So you believe that Peterson as a CB is making our LBs, and DL avoid hits, be out of position and makes our OL feel like getting pushed around is okay. I highly doubt he has this influence. We freaking miss Peters up front inspiring those dogs in the trenches. I am not on the OL so I do not know where we are lacking but we are lacking that Conrad Dobler 'nasty' on the line which most thought a guy like Sweezy would prompt. This Mitch position on Peterson being the catalyst for being 'soft' lacks the totality people are infusing to the observation

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is my kind of guy right here.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
JJ Watt tip-toes on the theme here as well!! :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their performance should be criticized. It was absolutely bad.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Topic for a segment on ESPN radio's DA show on right now, "Is Kliff Kingsbury a bad coach?"

This is Kliff's chance to prove him wrong, but they played the Geoff Schwartz segment from yesterday arguing that Kliff was a bad coach. Then DA went through it in detail for about 5 minutes or so saying Kliff was a bad coach in college, bad record in college, never had good defensive teams, is known for being handsome, Ryan Goslingesque, all image, no substance, etc, how Kyler and Dhop looked confused last game, that Kliff is not giving them a good offense.

Not exactly good publicity, but hopefully some motivation for our guys.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is Kliff's chance to prove him wrong, but they played the Geoff Schwartz segment from yesterday arguing that Kliff was a bad coach. Then DA went through it in detail for about 5 minutes or so saying Kliff was a bad coach in college, bad record in college, never had good defensive teams, is known for being handsome, Ryan Goslingesque, all image, no substance, etc, how Kyler and Dhop looked confused last game, that Kliff is not giving them a good offense.

Sadly, I don't think he's wrong. Although, if we somehow squeak into the playoffs, I'll (try to) put my KK dislike aside. I did say I'd give him and company another chance if he got us there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

man... if these guys actually needed this to motivate them coming off a loss that embarassing and going into a game to get you in the playoffs, we might as well burn the entire franchise to the ground and start over fresh.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Rather than continue to get dragged down into the minutia, dissecting Kyler to death...ranting about Joseph's short-comings, shoving Kirk down on the depth chart, attacking Mason Cole for inexcusable mental mishaps and throwing PP21 onto the trash-heap, I'll simply say that the grotesque display of football this team & the coaches produced last week may mean:

- Larry will never play another down on home turf, ever again.

- Kliff, for all his shortcomings, is not even in the same conversation as other coaches, specifically NFC West coaches, when it comes to being able to inspire a team and get them to buy into a mission and a purpose. McVay, Carroll and Shanahan have all proven the ability to rally their teams to reach performance levels that extend beyond common perceptions. Be it injuries or otherwise, those coaches ignite a fire within their players and lift them to higher ground. Is it that the Cards players don't trust Kliff and therefore, they refuse to buy into his plans and schemes? Do they not like Kliff as a person? Interesting...

- Do we simply not have players who are capable of inspiring others? CJ Beathard, along with George Kittle, somehow willed their fellow players, many of whom are 2nd and 3rd string players, to perform at levels they likely didn't know they could ever reach. Russell Wilson routinely inspires his fellow players, along with Bobby Wagner, to achieve results that outstretch their own imaginations... the Cardinals have seemingly lacked this team dynamic ever since Warner retired and Boldin left.

Next Sunday, the Cardinals have somehow found themselves in control of their own destiny. They might be facing a team led by a QB that has never taken a NFL snap. And even if Goff plays, a broken thumb would certainly make him less than 100%. The Rams will also be without their starting RB, AND their back-up RB! They are also extremely banged up across their o-line with their LT position in serious question.

Not sure what Vegas will do in terms of calling the Cards the favorite or the Dog, but that doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter to the Cardinals one iota. The Cardinals have never beaten McVay and Goff. Heck, they've never even come close to beating them! I believe the Rams are the better team and IMHO, even if Goff sits out, I believe the Rams are totally capable of beating the Cardinals without a legit NFL QB.
But it's truly impossible for me to comprehend that Kliff, his coaches and every singly player isn't taken this game personally. Like I said, I don't expect a victory... BUT, I do expect to see a team that gives maximum effort from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. If... If we see another performance similar to what crapped all over State Farm Stadium on Saturday, I honestly can't come up with one valid reason as to why Kliff should retain his job...

Sunday promises to be an epically telling day for certain...

McVay inspired his team enough to lose to the JETS. The Rams also were swept by the Niners.

McVay runs a great system, but the Rams issue this year is that they have no answer when teams can account for all the motion, boot action, and stop the run. When Goff has to stand back and win games from the pocket, the Rams aren't good.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Kliff is listening to these dipwads and worrying about what they say then he isn't doing his job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson