Inevitable

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I specifically said the Niners had a great game plan and executed well. Shanahan is one of the few coaches better than Kliff. But Kliff beat him when 49ers were at full strength.

LOL. We talking about the same Kliff?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy that took a team to a 200+ pt PD improvement in two years? Same guy I think

the guy who regardless of next week will have a losing record in 2 years as head coach. Same guy.

and the guy who had a losing record in college?

I mean... let me get this right, a coach who’s got a losing record in both college and the pros is one of the best coaches in the league?

do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL coaches, those connoisseurs of correct 4th down decisionmaking. You’re making my point for me.

What now? You mean the 31 most qualified people in the world in playcalling?

So the other HCs who would never make that call are the dumb ones and Kliff, who got it wrong and gave a TD and the game away is the smart one?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What now? You mean the 31 most qualified people in the world in playcalling?

So the other HCs who would never make that call are the dumb ones and Kliff, who got it wrong and gave a TD and the game away is the smart one?

lmao if you think NFL head coach hiring is an efficient system lmaoooo

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the guy who regardless of next week will have a losing record in 2 years as head coach. Same guy.

I mean... let me get this right, a coach who’s got a losing record in both college and the pros is one of the best coaches in the league?

What is ridiculous is being so upset about a 200 point improvement in year 2. What is even more ridiculous is assuming the 23 y/o QB won’t improve.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is ridiculous is being so upset about a 200 point improvement in year 2. What is even more ridiculous is assuming the 23 y/o QB won’t improve.

first, solid job not responding to any of the facts in that post that refute yours.

Second, what is ridiculous is being happy with a 2-4 and likely 2-5 slide to end the season and burying your head in the sand as we miss the playoffs after having a lead on the last playoff spot the last eight games of the year.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
first, solid job not responding to any of the facts in that post that refute yours.

Second, what is ridiculous is being happy with a 2-4 and likely 2-5 slide to end the season and burying your head in the sand as we miss the playoffs after having a lead on the last playoff spot the last eight games of the year.

There are emotions other than happy or BIG MAD. I’m not happy with the conclusion to our season, but I am enormously optimistic about our prospects and progress.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

No this year will be his first non losing season ... 8-8 is even not losing...

For the rest, Kliff will need to improve the next season, this team was unprepared at least 4 times this year and that accounts for 3 losses ...

A team needs to be consistent, sound fundamentals and play hard for every inch. You can't win if you get outchoached by the opponent on every second posession.

If we want win, this has to stop. And yes going for it on 4 and 2 on our own 35 was very risky and changed the momentum. But handsight is ... yes.

Overall the loss was brutal, since we are the team that had the better talent but we seem to regress by every week. 2-4 tells the story. If we go 2-5 and overall 8-8 after a 6-3 start not good coaching not good team play. It somehow reminds me of Whiz last year 4-0 start ...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Harry's an industry professional who knows what he's talking about. That doesn't automatically make him right, or mean everyone has to agree with all of his takes, but...you're a fan who pointed to a 5-win season as immediately turning things around.
Agree. But absolutely, positively predicting that a team will trip over its poor coaching, sloppy fundamentals etc. is claimiing you can "predict the future" and it doesn't always work that way.

It's more like - you can play the odds and be right more often than not. But there will be times when Lady Luck blows your predictions to smithereens.

So you play the odds in the hope you'll be right more often than not.

Within this context - Can Michael B assemble the right staff to bring a savvy, football-smart management & coaching -team to run the football operations the way it should be run? (Note - there is more than one way to assemble a winning football operation, but finding the right approach is easier said than done).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you haven’t figured out by now, that poster is bizarro 1Sun, always seeing the brightest of light no matter the reality as opposed to the darkest of clouds by the same token.
Oh I realize that. Originally I included his hot takes on the suns but lost the post and didn’t want retype all of it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn’t pick the title, feel free to start a campaign to dump it.

As to the win improvement, it is good but it’s been accomplished against a weak schedule in a system that was designed to keep weak teams from losing fans. I recognize some teams have shown no improvement against such a schedule. I did think after week 1 this was a playoff team (considering the added a spot) and they almost were. However, it became obvious week to week that this team was playing below its potential. Why?

Certainly they were hurt by injuries, but so were other teams who didn’t get derailed. Coaching was the number one issue, in the form of poor player development (K1), poor play design (supposed to be a KK strength) and atrocious game management.

Murray has potential. I would concede he has not been given the best surrounding cast. That said, the Niners game showed that sooner or later sloppy fundamentals catch up with you. They caught up with Murray. I’ve said he is the best running QB I’ve seen. Is he a leader of men? I haven’t seen that. Does he exhibited better mechanics now than last year? Occasionally, but not consistently. I have also said he can be an outstanding QB, but only if he wants to correct his deficiencies. Yes he’ll likely throw for 4K yards, but he’s been erratic when the game is on the line, especially in the second half of this season.

As to poor play design, the NFL is a league of adjustments. You can ask several flash-in-the-pan coaches what happens when the league adjusts to your game if you don’t adapt. Of course you’ll have to contact them in college, which is where they are, some as coordinators. How can you not see the second half of this season collapsed because this coach did not or could not adjust? The Niners DC ate Kingsbury’s offense alive. They were ready for everything except Murray’s exceptional running. What was creative and new? What had KK put in for this game? A weak Cowboy team just hung 41 points on this defense.

Finally game management was horrible. Penalties we’d seen too many times before. Wasted timeouts. Only 10 players sent out initially on a kickoff return. I could go on but it’s pointless. This is not a winning coach exhibiting poise and control.

As to the wins improvement, do you know any coach who wouldn’t heavily target Hopkins? How many games of this “improvement” are due just to his addition. They certainly lose the Bills game without him. They lose the Eagles game. The first Niners game? How many others? Take those away and you’re right back to about last year. Give Keim the credit for those, not some well designed offense. How many of his key catches weren’t heavily contested? I’m not saying there wasn’t improvement, I’m saying you’re giving credit where it’s not been earned. Beyond Hopkins what other part of the offense was better; the other receivers? Was the running game better? You might have said Arnold (another Keim pickup) before he self-distrusted this game. Only Murray’s running improved and I believe no coach would have ignored Murray’s ability to run. What can you clearly say Kingsbury added? I say at best he gave with one hand and took away with the other. IMO those who want to champion his improvement are ignoring the team’s play in the second half. This team underperformed and the buck stops at Kingsbury’s desk. He didn’t significantly improve as a college coach. Why would he here? He has never been a winner and you don’t start that trend in the NFL.

What he said.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ok it all makes sense now. After a 6-3 start you thought this team had "arrived" and would be a perennial playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Its not our fault you chugged the kool-aid and are now upset with the reality of: this is a borderline playoff team progressing well under this regime.

case closed, thats it :) I hope they arrive too! I just didnt buy it at 6-3 with obvious flaws this team had to work on.
No, you’re putting words in my mouth. Terrible way to argue. Rather, at 6-3 it becomes reasonable to expect the team to take 4 of 7 against a schedule that includes some poor teams. Failing to do so is . . . I have said . . . failure. Your steadfast refusal to acknowledge regression is stunning in its cognitive dissonance.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite and slings and arrows I tried all year to explain where this was headed. You can’t just look at points to determine if a team is well coached. You have to look at fundamentals. That is because sooner or later sloppy fundamentals will doom your team. Add in poor game management and you have a formula for absolute failure.

ok

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
it was actually very clear: we couldn’t stop their run game. Kliff knew it. Anyone watching the game knew it. Also, we had been quite good at converting 4th down all game (and getting short throws as well in other spots/having Kyler run around their edge). Warner made a good play and they were lucky he was in a position to do so. It happens.

It was a very good decision by Kliff to go for it there given all available information.

:biglaugh:

I mean, I just can't with this.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6-3 gets you into the playoffs? Wins you the Super Bowl? Or means nothing if you fall apart like a 10-cent watch?

Hint: It's the last one.

When you start 6-3 and you're likely to finish 8-8 I'm pretty sure that's not "good" right?

I'm pretty sure that's bad.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol... Shanahan is one of the FEW coaches better than KK? This is as laughable as people saying Keim is one of the best GMs in the league.

I have stuck up for KK a lot here, but it is pretty darn clear he is either the worst coach in the division, or not far away. No snowball's chance in hell is he better than Carroll or Shanahan.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have stuck up for KK a lot here, but it is pretty darn clear he is either the worst coach in the division, or not far away. No snowball's chance in hell is he better than Carroll or Shanahan.

He's clearly, not remotely close, the worst coach in the division. Part of that is Kliff being average and the rest is the other 3 being top 10 coaches. Possibly top 5.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave