OT: Tua benched. Warner mentions how Fitzpatrick is teaching Tua about throwing guys open

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Made me think of @Harry

Obviously still a work in progress for Tua as he got benched. However, its good to see Fitzpatrick is making him realize what open is in the NFL.

Warner mentioned how Josh McCown had to help him realize it in Arizona. Said before he would see Fitzgerald running deep and not think it was open. McCown would say "Hey thats Larry Fitzgerald thats open"

Do we need a backup QB who can break that down to Kyler?

I know we certainly need a QB coach. However, is Stev and Hundley really the vets we need in Kyler's ear as well?

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Made me think of @Harry

Obviously still a work in progress for Tua as he got benched. However, its good to see Fitzpatrick is making him realize what open is in the NFL.

Warner mentioned how Josh McCown had to help him realize it in Arizona. Said before he would see Fitzgerald running deep and not think it was open. McCown would say "Hey thats Larry Fitzgerald thats open"

I know we certainly need a QB coach. However, is Stev and Hundley really the vets we need in Kyler's ear as well?

A back up vet is a very underrated asset to a football team and type of qb Kyler needs/needed entering the league

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Made me think of @Harry

ha.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gruden & Raiders really started 6-3 in b2b seasons & still missed the playoffs.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Made me think of @Harry

I remember Mike Martz telling Kurt in the early 2000's "that is open in the NFL".

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think that Murray would listen to a vet QB. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Streveler is on the active roster.
He credited his success at OU to Baker Mayfield. Obviously not starting then but there is proof of him listening to a guy more experienced than him. So you dont know until you give it a shot.

Last edited:

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
The Raiders end of game debacle was so Cardinalesqe
The Cardinals and Raiders are one in the same. When the stars are aligned perfectly, the QB play looks pretty good. When there is adversity, the QB play turns to mush. KM is Derek Carr part two. Stats mean nothing without leadership and wins.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At Oklahoma, Murray was throwing to guys who were wide open. Never had to or learned to throw to tight openings or throwing guys open. Big 12 defenses are helluva lot easier to throw against than NFL. Some of us said this pre draft. He may never learn that part of the game.
If you watched the Dolphin game Tua has the same problem, as this thread has pointed out. He and Murray spent their college days throwing to guys who were so wide open, it was way too easy. Beware qbs who play on stacked teams. Great teams tend to make some players look better than they are.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made me think of @Harry

Never heard that before.

How did Warner make all those throws in St. Louis?

Were his WR's always wide open?

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never heard that before.

How did Warner make all those throws in St. Louis?

Were his WR's always wide open?
Basically.

He said that Bruce and Holt were such great space creators. So sometimes they'd at least have a step on a defender. Plus with Kurt's unbelievable anticipation he could just get them the ball in space. Its why he struggled elsewhere for years until it finally clicked in Arizona about throwing guys open.

Last edited: