ON the INT I've pointed this out before

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Kyler makes a long run he's often exhausted after. You could see him breathing heavily. So if you're the defense you can almost count on the next play being a run by Drake. Predictably he loses a yard and now Kyler is still breathing heavy and they brought the safety but we actually picked it up, Kyler just felt the pressure and threw backing up so he didn't get enough on the throw.

They have to coach that out of him but they also have to figure out how to deal with Kyler being tired when he makes a long run. They have to have something other than just run middle with Drake because it happens so often. So he makes a great play on the run but it leads to disaster because he panicked thinking he had to make a big play because the first down was wasted so he threw the ball up for grabs instead of just standing in there a bit longer.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to fine him everytime he starts backing up. The kid just will not step up into the pocket. Build a wall behind him so he can only go forward. I don't know, but it's a problem.

he stepped up earlier right into a sack where Kirk broke free. He just didn't seem to know where the rusher was on that play, or honestly a bunch of plays today. The empty backfield blitz the DB had him confused the whole game IMO. But it had Kliff confused too. TE injuries doesn't mean you have to keep going empty backfield

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don't disagree, I just want him to start showing traits that he is learning. Throwing interceptions off his back foot is bad. So I want to see him learn from that.
Kirk still has to fight for the ball. It was a poor throw but he had to tackle the CB at the point.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirk still has to fight for the ball. It was a poor throw but he had to tackle the CB at the point.

I honestly don't think the momentum allowed Kirk to do that, it was a bad decision and a bad throw. Kyler actually had a clean pocket on that play he just saw the DB coming and panicked IMO.

But again it goes back to him feeling like has to do everything, and that he's still tired from the long run 2 plays earlier. I don't know but my bet is if we faked the handoff to Drake and threw the ball on first down there it's a walkin TD for someone, they KNEW we were going to run Drake because Kyler was gassed from the long run.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to fine him everytime he starts backing up. The kid just will not step up into the pocket. Build a wall behind him so he can only go forward. I don't know, but it's a problem.

There was NO pocket for him to stand into today for nearly all of his passes.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When Kyler makes a long run he's often exhausted after. You could see him breathing heavily. So if you're the defense you can almost count on the next play being a run by Drake. Predictably he loses a yard and now Kyler is still breathing heavy and they brought the safety but we actually picked it up, Kyler just felt the pressure and threw backing up so he didn't get enough on the throw.

They have to coach that out of him but they also have to figure out how to deal with Kyler being tired when he makes a long run. They have to have something other than just run middle with Drake because it happens so often. So he makes a great play on the run but it leads to disaster because he panicked thinking he had to make a big play because the first down was wasted so he threw the ball up for grabs instead of just standing in there a bit longer.

If Murray is that winded after one run then there is a serious conditioning problem with the team. The play clock is 40 seconds in the NFL so he gets 40 seconds to recover.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rule...ext=When is the play clock,is a delay of game.

If Murray is that gassed after one run how can you ever expect him to run a two minute drill?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Murray is that winded after one run then there is a serious conditioning problem with the team. The play clock is 40 seconds in the NFL so he gets 40 seconds to recover.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/play-clock/#:~:text=When is the play clock,is a delay of game.

If Murray is that gassed after one run how can you ever expect him to run a two minute drill?
Here's something you're missing. We practically run the 2 minute offense all game all season for the most part.

Honestly think he's wearing down. The tired/sloppy throw wasnt as much of an issue as it was throwing it up to Kirk. If thats Hopkins or Fitz then fine. No reason to heave it up to the smallest guy.

Two options need to happen after a long run.

1. Put him under center. Either he gives it to the rb
2. Or you play action and see if you can slip a pass to an open guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly don't think the momentum allowed Kirk to do that, it was a bad decision and a bad throw. Kyler actually had a clean pocket on that play he just saw the DB coming and panicked IMO.

But again it goes back to him feeling like has to do everything, and that he's still tired from the long run 2 plays earlier. I don't know but my bet is if we faked the handoff to Drake and threw the ball on first down there it's a walkin TD for someone, they KNEW we were going to run Drake because Kyler was gassed from the long run.
The DB also pushed off Kirk to get a clean int. I’m not saying it was a penalty but I wonder why Kirk didn’t fight for it and the replay clearly shows the dB pushing to get separation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s not true. There was a string of plays where he seemed to have a good deal of time and could find anyone. But it’s the constant pressure that rattles him. He doesn’t know when he’s going to be splattered or from where.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/play-clock/#:~:text=When is the play clock,is a delay of game.

You’ve watched us long enough to know the answer... they don’t. Our 2 minute drill is amongst the slowest and least effective I’ve ever seen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not true. There was a string of plays where he seemed to have a good deal of time and could find anyone. But it’s the constant pressure that rattles him. He doesn’t know when he’s going to be splattered or from where.

I think that it is.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I think that it is.
Nick I counted at least 6 times where he could have stepped up in the pocket and for whatever reason he chose not to. 4 of which he threw off his back foot going backwards, one he turned right into a sack, and the other one escaped me now.

There are more I'm sure. My personal opinion is he is scared to take a hit and deliver the ball down field. Could be wrong as I stated it's just my personal opinion.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick I counted at least 6 times where he could have stepped up in the pocket and for whatever reason he chose not to. 4 of which he threw off his back foot going backwards, one he turned right into a sack, and the other one escaped me now.

There are more I'm sure. My personal opinion is he is scared to take a hit and deliver the ball down field. Could be wrong as I stated it's just my personal opinion.

He has lived/died by throwing off of his back foot. How many balls has he thrown off of his back foot to the back of the end zone, some of those even on 3rd/4th down?

I also think that he doesn't like to take a big hit and it hurts his mechanics. I also think that the best thing that we could do would be to shore up the line so he has more time to process. He doesn't have the quick decision making of a Mahomes for example. Not sure he ever will.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dominate run game would solve a lot of Problems

It sure did for SF. No one is talking how we allowed an 180 yard rusher in a game that was supposed to matter. (did he have 180 yards)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was protected well on the INT though. He saw the safety coming and rushed the throw backing up but we picked up the safety.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was the 8th play of a drive he had a 30 yard run but to do that he probably ran 50 yards because he ran all the way around the corner, at top speed. I think you'll find most NFL players are going to be a bit winded after running 50 yards at full speed, especially in the 4th quarter of a game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DB also pushed off Kirk to get a clean int. I’m not saying it was a penalty but I wonder why Kirk didn’t fight for it and the replay clearly shows the dB pushing to get separation.

Yeah I didn't think it was a penalty but I agree there was contact. I just think the ball was so poorly thrown the momentum of Kirk made it damn near impossible for him to fight back to it like Lofton said he should have.

Kyler needed to step into that throw and put it where if Kirk doesn't get it, nobody does.

I still say if we play action on the prior play it's probably an easy TD teams know after Kyler has a long run it's going to be a handoff on the next play, at least it seems that way I admit I haven't looked it up

I remember him saying in an earlier game that he had a couple of throws that came up short because he was tired from running so much so obviously we don't hand it off all the time.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh boy. Surprised you started this thread.

we’ve already heard all the guys with beer bellies say professional athletes aren’t allowed to be tired.

can’t fix stupid.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dominate run game would solve a lot of Problems

when you take a QB with the first pick in the draft, he shouldn’t need a dominant run game to solve problems. HE should be the problem solver.