Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep watching.

The Chiefs saw out the final 2:05 with a 4 plays that included a 10 yard pass to Kelce.

Jets saw out 3:54 vs Rams with 5 plays before victory formation that included a 3rd and 6 pass to seal it.

Given the choice between finishing the game there and then or giving them the ball back don't you take it? The odds of completing a 3rd and 5 run that they know is coming is low.

I'm not even saying they should have passed it on 3rd, they should have passed on 2nd. The odds of moving the chains on 3 telegraphed runs vs a very good D line are slim at the best of times.

Of all the games this weekend we were the only team that was given the chance to finish the game off that failed.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The Chiefs saw out the final 2:05 with a 4 plays that included a 10 yard pass to Kelce.

Jets saw out 3:54 vs Rams with 5 plays before victory formation that included a 3rd and 6 pass to seal it.

Given the choice between finishing the game there and then or giving them the ball back don't you take it? The odds of completing a 3rd and 5 run that they know is coming is low.

I'm not even saying they should have passed it on 3rd, they should have passed on 2nd. The odds of moving the chains on 3 telegraphed runs vs a very good D line are slim at the best of times.

Of all the games this weekend we were the only team that was given the chance to finish the game off that failed.
Drake did us no favor on 2 of those runs. He left yardage on the field. If we would have thrown an incompletion KK would have been blasted. Highnsight is 20/20. No

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You watched all 16 games? Impressive. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You can believe me or not on whether most coaches should/do run the ball to force teams to use time outs. It isn't just our team and KK being 'ultra-conservative.' Do you absolutely trust this offense to complete a pass during crunch time, even to D-Hop? If the answer is no, you run the ball and use the time out. Simple as that.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Not all games and situations are the same. Like how much time is on the clock or how many time outs the other team has left. The time to throw is on second down IMO, but as DCR said 9 out of 10 coaches in exactly the same situation make them use their time outs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You watched all 16 games? Impressive. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You can believe me or not on whether most coaches should/do run the ball to force teams to use time outs. It isn't just our team and KK being 'ultra-conservative.' Do you absolutely trust this offense to complete a pass during crunch time, even to D-Hop? If the answer is no, you run the ball and use the time out. Simple as that.

Now Arians is a coach who almost always does pass in those situations. There were games he did that in Arizona and got killed for it afterwards when it was incomplete. And, yes, it did cost us at least a couple of games from my memory.

There is nothing easier than being a genius with hindsight and saying "shoulda". It worked out. What if the Eagles had another 15 to 20 seconds?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Arians is a coach who almost always does pass in those situations. There were games he did that in Arizona and got killed for it afterwards when it was incomplete. And, yes, it did cost us at least a couple of games from my memory.

There is nothing easier than being a genius with hindsight and saying "shoulda". It worked out. What if the Eagles had another 15 to 20 seconds?

We can play what ifs forever. What if the got the first down on 3 runs? What if the Eagles catch one of those TD passes? Doesn't mean that we did or didn't do the right thing at the right time.

For what it is worth, I do remember KK throwing the ball in crunch time to end the game against Washington.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Just think if we were still back in 1991 or 2 and someone from the future brought us a tape of Sunday's winning game in our new stadium. How excited we would be for the future of what was then a sad excuse of a team and franchise. (if my memory is correct on the time frame)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake did us no favor on 2 of those runs. He left yardage on the field. If we would have thrown an incompletion KK would have been blasted. Highnsight is 20/20. No

Drake has done this every game. If Kliff chooses Drake runs that's on him.

Drake averaged 2.6 YPC vs the Eagles. Why would you suddenly trust him to do better?

Edmonds averaged 4.3 YPC but he gave it to Drake. Despite Drakes fumbles and poor game.

And who didn't know that 3rd down was going to be a Kyler run?

It was a bad series with bad choices that could have cost us dearly. We should have put the game to bed. A better team with a vet QB would have scored.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake has done this every game. If Kliff chooses Drake runs that's on him.

Drake averaged 2.6 YPC vs the Eagles. Why would you suddenly trust him to do better?

Edmonds averaged 4.3 YPC but he gave it to Drake. Despite Drakes fumbles and poor game.

And who didn't know that 3rd down was going to be a Kyler run?

It was a bad series with bad choices that could have cost us dearly. We should have put the game to bed. A better team with a vet QB would have scored.

Your whole argument is based on a false premise. That is, a passing play was sure to be successful. So, your debate grade = C-

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing about the fake is that it gives the 49ers and especially the Rams something else to think about. They saw that our Punter, who is our holder, has a pretty good arm. So they have to account for that now both on punts AND on FGA's in the last 2 games.

If we beat the 49ers, and the Bears win we go into the last week with a must win. We'll know by game time probably if the Bears won or not since they play early we play late. You can see a scenario where we HAVE to beat the Rams to get in. So the more things they have to worry about the better. They've dominated us for a few years now so Kliff would have to just go all in and try literally anything to get an edge and win.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other thing about the fake is that it gives the 49ers and especially the Rams something else to think about. They saw that our Punter, who is our holder, has a pretty good arm. So they have to account for that now both on punts AND on FGA's in the last 2 games.

If we beat the 49ers, and the Bears win we go into the last week with a must win. We'll know by game time probably if the Bears won or not since they play early we play late. You can see a scenario where we HAVE to beat the Rams to get in. So the more things they have to worry about the better. They've dominated us for a few years now so Kliff would have to just go all in and try literally anything to get an edge and win.

Pressure on Goff, last match he was able to do anything he wanted to do

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we want to ever go anywhere special we have to beat the Rams some day. It may as well be week 17. If we have clinched by kick sweet. But I will still be very disappointed if we don't win that game. Even if we have clinched, it will likely be for a higher seed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They saw that look on film Philly showed on the play. Practiced the fake during the week. Jeff Rodgers was told by KK he had the go ahead to call the play as soon as he saw that look on a return. The deal was he could only call it with that look if we were outside the 10 yard line. So if we're at the 11 or 12 yard line what's the difference really lol? Yeah, KK has some grapefruits as you said.
Interesting

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose