Kyler selected to his first Pro Bowl. Hopkins and Baker make it as well.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Grats to all cards pro bowlers be fun to watch all 3 in probowl even though i hardly ever watch it lol

Go Cards!!! What ever happens fun season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
All-pro selections are the only selections of value imo
I have to disagree here. 2/3 of the votes that determine the pro bowl are players and GMs. All pro for instance is determined by members of the press from my understanding. I think I would take GMs and players opinions more seriously than members of the press.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have to disagree here. 2/3 of the votes that determine the pro bowl are players and GMs. All pro for instance is determined by members of the press from my understanding. I think I would take GMs and players opinions more seriously than members of the press.

I think you'd be surprised at how little most players know about what's going on in the league. They're living their own team every day and living their opponent's film week-to-week. If you're, say, a member of the New Orleans Saints, you don't have any idea what's going on with the Cards or Bills or anyone else.

In-season, coaches are much the same way. Players vote on reputation and whoever was on their college teams.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think you'd be surprised at how little most players know about what's going on in the league. They're living their own team every day and living their opponent's film week-to-week. If you're, say, a member of the New Orleans Saints, you don't have any idea what's going on with the Cards or Bills or anyone else.

In-season, coaches are much the same way. Players vote on reputation and whoever was on their college teams.
Except they are watching plenty of film of these guys when they are preparing for them and GMs are very likely to have a solid pulse on other players around the league as there is always a chance of trading for those players or having them available in free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Except they are watching plenty of film of these guys when they are preparing for them and GMs are very likely to have a solid pulse on other players around the league as there is always a chance of trading for those players or having them available in free agency.
They watch clips and cutups of the 13 teams they play each year but there are 18 other teams they spend little to no time on. That is the point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Not really. The Cards only play 10 opponents per season, so there's 2/3s of the league that they're never prepping for (not counting the teams they're seeing after voting closes.

Even then, there's no reason for D.J. Humphries to be watching tape on any other offensive guards, wide receivers, running backs, etc for any other team. He's probably not doing so.

EDIT: Do you really think that 31 other GMs are watching Kyler Murray tape in-season with an eye toward trading for him?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not really. The Cards only play 10 opponents per season, so there's 2/3s of the league that they're never prepping for (not counting the teams they're seeing after voting closes.

Even then, there's no reason for D.J. Humphries to be watching tape on any other offensive guards, wide receivers, running backs, etc for any other team. He's probably not doing so.

EDIT: Do you really think that 31 other GMs are watching Kyler Murray tape in-season with an eye toward trading for him?
Who do you think these guys are voting for? Probably in large part the guys they had to face throughout the season (assuming they can't vote for teammates). That likely means that a lot of guys from teams that opposed the Cards this year were voting for KM.

And of course I don't think GMs are legitimately watching tape of every top player in the league during the season, but they likely have a good idea of how they are playing.

Do you think that the press people that vote for all pro are extremely informed on all of the players they have the option to vote for? Or do you think that maybe they are largely swayed by highlights and word of mouth when it comes to making their votes?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who do you think these guys are voting for? Probably in large part the guys they had to face throughout the season (assuming they can't vote for teammates). That likely means that a lot of guys from teams that opposed the Cards this year were voting for KM.

And of course I don't think GMs are legitimately watching tape of every top player in the league during the season, but they likely have a good idea of how they are playing.

Do you think that the press people that vote for all pro are extremely informed on all of the players they have the option to vote for? Or do you think that maybe they are largely swayed by highlights and word of mouth when it comes to making their votes?

I think that players are mostly voting for guys they played against, guys they know from college, and guys who are on their fantasy teams.

I'm sure that GMs have as much an idea of how the best players are doing that the average engaged fan.

I think that the AP voters for the Pro Bowl are mostly highly engaged in following league-wide storylines and spend much, much more time following trends around the league than the average fan, front office exec, or player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think that players are mostly voting for guys they played against, guys they know from college, and guys who are on their fantasy teams.

I'm sure that GMs have as much an idea of how the best players are doing that the average engaged fan.

I think that the AP voters for the Pro Bowl are mostly highly engaged in following league-wide storylines and spend much, much more time following trends around the league than the average fan, front office exec, or player.
One of the issues with the all pro voting process is that it is very easy for bias to play a role. Here is one example of where bias may have clearly come into play.

"The most controversial vote in this year’s process was Bill Polian’s. The six-time NFL Executive of the Year and Hall-of-Famer famously said before Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018 that Jackson should switch to receiver. Obviously, with Jackson picking up 47 of a possible 50 votes at quarterback this season, that opinion was a wild swing-and-miss. Polian was one of three voters who did not vote for Jackson; the other two were colleagues of his at SIRIUS XM Radio, Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan."

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...ls-all-pro-voting-system-needs-to-be-fixed/2/

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One of the issues with the all pro voting process is that it is very easy for bias to play a role. Here is one example of where bias may have clearly come into play.

"The most controversial vote in this year’s process was Bill Polian’s. The six-time NFL Executive of the Year and Hall-of-Famer famously said before Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018 that Jackson should switch to receiver. Obviously, with Jackson picking up 47 of a possible 50 votes at quarterback this season, that opinion was a wild swing-and-miss. Polian was one of three voters who did not vote for Jackson; the other two were colleagues of his at SIRIUS XM Radio, Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan."

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...ls-all-pro-voting-system-needs-to-be-fixed/2/

I don't understand how that is the case — Jackson still made the All-Pro Team. The reason that you have multiple voters is to spread out the potential impact of individual biases. What's the problem?

Neither process is perfect, obviously. IMHO, the All-Pro honor is more important and distinguished because it's more rare (I think there are only 2 All-Pro QBs and there are 6 Pro Bowlers) and because the award is voted on by a more elite company.

I guess there are people who believe that the People's Choice Awards are better than the Oscars, too. Good for them, but I disagree.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't understand how that is the case — Jackson still made the All-Pro Team. The reason that you have multiple voters is to spread out the potential impact of individual biases. What's the problem?

Neither process is perfect, obviously. IMHO, the All-Pro honor is more important and distinguished because it's more rare (I think there are only 2 All-Pro QBs and there are 6 Pro Bowlers) and because the award is voted on by a more elite company.

I guess there are people who believe that the People's Choice Awards are better than the Oscars, too. Good for them, but I disagree.
Sure in a case where a player is a sure fire All Pro personal biases won't particularly matter, but what about the players that are more on the fringe of all pro? Then all of the sudden a couple personal biases can easily be the difference between them making it or not.

That being said virtually all of these press people that make these votes are voting based on their own personal biases or are letting their biases effect their decision. Of course this also happens in the pro bowl vote, but their are so many more total votes that it is less likely to have an effect on the outcome.

That being said the one thing that will always be more prestigious about the all pro voting is that there are just far fewer spots available. Something like half the amount of pro bowl spots.