2021 Free Agency

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They took 3 WRs in one draft and none of them seem to be working out. Our 2nd best WR is 38? Kirk is looking like a 3 or 4 at best. With everyone's job dependent on Kyler succeeding, I doubt they will leave Kyler to make it work with what he has.
EXACTLY! With a legit #2 WR, this team would have 2-3 more wins right now. Nauseates me to think how much better this offense would be had they drafted Lamb. Especially since it's taken so long for Simmons to even sniff the field.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
EXACTLY! With a legit #2 WR, this team would have 2-3 more wins right now. Nauseates me to think how much better this offense would be had they drafted Lamb. Especially since it's taken so long for Simmons to even sniff the field.
Disagree. Kyler struggling as a progression passer would not be helped by CeeDee Lamb or any other WR.

Reaction score
Trading Andy Isabella for Kerryon Johnson or Miles Sanders (both teams have low cap space, few WRs that will be on their roster and use RB mostly as a committee)
You expecting lighting to strike twice. . . Andy Isabella for Miles Sanders would be a pilferage on the scale of DJ for D-Hop. Sanders is currently the NFL's #15 rusher this season, with 746 yards at a clip of 5.65 ypc!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Curtis Samuel is an interesting option as a FA WR. He is young (25) similar to JuJu and has a lot of flexibility in how he can be used. Nice run after catch guy. You could probably get him for around 8 mil and get similar production to what JuJu would get at half the price.
If I’m mistaken also frequently injured, right?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. Kyler struggling as a progression passer would not be helped by CeeDee Lamb or any other WR.
To say that Murray “struggles” with progressions is a bit of a stretch. Other than Hopkins, no WR on this team creates separation. He needs a real #2. Hell, he needs a real #3 & a TE.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To say that Murray “struggles” with progressions is a bit of a stretch. Other than Hopkins, no WR on this team creates separation. He needs a real #2. Hell, he needs a real #3 & a TE.

That’s easy to say when you’re just watching the line of scrimmage camera angle. Receivers open at Oklahoma is different than receivers be open in the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money is not as much of an issue as people are making it out to be. We probably couldn't sign both, but one or the other is easy.

No we couldn't. The cap is going down and we are still spending 12-14M on an aging player that just isn't productive anyone. It saddens me to say it because Fitz is my favorite athlete of all time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No we couldn't. The cap is going down and we are still spending 12-14M on an aging player that just isn't productive anyone. It saddens me to say it because Fitz is my favorite athlete of all time.
Dude...money isn't an issue for us. We can't sign EVERYONE but we can get ANYONE.

We currently sit at 24 mil.

We will cut Robert Alford and that gives us 7.5 mil more. 31.5.

We will restructure or cut Chandler Jones. I think we will extend him and reduce his cap hit from 20.8 to 10. That opens up 10.5 mil and brings us to 42.

Cutting Devon Kennard, if we needed to, gives us an additional 4.25 and then cutting Gilbert opens up and additional 1 mil (rounding up). So, without really stretching we can get to 47 mil.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here are some names to watch for regarding our offensive line needs. Keep in mind that none of these dudes are young and a player like that would require a trade.

FA

Alex Mack - C (He is old but he is good. Cole aint it and I am not sure I want to bank on Gaillard.)

David Andrews - C (some health issues but when on the field he is really good.)

Joe Thuney - G (A really good player who has some experience blocking Donald)

Austin Reiter - C (If you believe Andy Reid coaches guys up, this guy could pay off the way Mitch Morse has wored for the Bills)

Brandon Scherrf - G (Not sure the Football Team doesn't franchise him but he would be ideal)

Taylor Moton - RT (If you don't want to bank on Jones at RT, Moton is a very nice player. Panthers going to go hard to re-sign him)

Trades (Teams generally don't get off of good linemen but here are what I think are options)

Brandon Linder - Jags (They have money and he is good. However, they are the Jags so I can't say this is impossible)

Gabe Jackson - Raiders (They are tight with the cap, have drafted some interior OL, and have Incognito long term. He may just get cut, but he is still a decent player)

Frank Ragnow - Lions (Same as they Linder argument for the Jags. He will be up for a new deal so maybe they want to drop the dollars on their rebuild)

Nick Easton - Saints (They are in a bad cap place and can save 7 mil by trading Easton or cutting him. He is a good player and under contract which is nice.)

All this said, I don't believe the team cuts Pugh though they may extend him to drop the cap hit. Also, Justin Murray and Lamont Gaillard will have something to say about their starting futures these next two games.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude...money isn't an issue for us. We can't sign EVERYONE but we can get ANYONE.

We currently sit at 24 mil.

We will cut Robert Alford and that gives us 7.5 mil more. 31.5.

We will restructure or cut Chandler Jones. I think we will extend him and reduce his cap hit from 20.8 to 10. That opens up 10.5 mil and brings us to 42.

Cutting Devon Kennard, if we needed to, gives us an additional 4.25 and then cutting Gilbert opens up and additional 1 mil (rounding up). So, without really stretching we can get to 47 mil.

Dude, it is going to be a struggle just to re-sign the guys that we want to keep that are already on this team.

Money is always an issue for this team. Either between the salary cap, or letting players go that they shouldn't to save a few bucks.

I say a few sarcastically.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please, for the love of all that’s holy, cut Hicks. The man makes almost no big plays and is a travesty in space. Draft his replacement.

If Keim cuts Hicks and drafts WR2, I don’t care what else he does this off-season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Please, for the love of all that’s holy, cut Hicks. The man makes almost no big plays and is a travesty in space. Draft his replacement.

If Keim cuts Hicks and drafts WR2, I don’t care what else he does this off-season.
Hicks is much better with Simmons next to him. Where Hicks becomes an absolute liability is when Campbell is playing next to him. That combo is just too slow.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hicks is much better with Simmons next to him. Where Hicks becomes an absolute liability is when Campbell is playing next to him. That combo is just too slow.

Simmons has been popping. I think next year he becomes a Pro Bowl caliber talent. He is in the picture often, and rookie defenders who are like that often become good players.

Campbell shouldn't be resigned at all.

After the first four games, I would have called resigning him a priority but he has proven he is a try hard, limited player.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We would have 2-3 more wins with the exact same team and a real kicker.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We would have 2-3 more wins with the exact same team and a real kicker.
I understand your point and agree to a certain extent. But, if we add a legit WR2 & more talent across the board, we won’t have to depend on ANY kicker to affect 3-5 games. We need to be winning by larger margins so that the kicker can’t outright destroy our season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand your point and agree to a certain extent. But, if we add a legit WR2 & more talent across the board, we won’t have to depend on ANY kicker to affect 3-5 games. We need to be winning by larger margins so that the kicker can’t outright destroy our season.

Sure but let's do both.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A name to remember for 2021.

Marcus Williams S Saints

A similar skill set to Justin Simmons who Vance had in Denver but a better tackle %, better comp% against, and almost as many INTs.

He is 24 and will turn 25 next September. The Saints can't afford to re-sign him or franchise him unless they really work some cap-magic. I like Jalen Thompson as much as most, but I don't know how long we want to wait for his development. I think it would be more prudent to sign Williams and then use Jalen as a 3rd S / nickel CB. I don't believe Williams will get the love of these other S, but I feel like he complements Budda very well and is very underrated.
Jalen Thompson has developed imo. He started to get it the last 4-5 games in 2019 when VJ simplified the defensive assignments. He picked up right where he left off against the 49ers only to twist his ankle. I forget which game he came back but he was playing well & hurt the ankle again. If he can stay healthy for a whole season, we may have the best 2 safeties in the NFL? Could have 2 pro bowlers at some point back there? I love his game. He lays the hurt on people & is always around the ball.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I was a Lamb fan last draft, but man, Simmons has huge potential.

He's come on a bit slow, but he has the makings of a superstar LB. I can't say the same about Lamb.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's come on a bit slow, but he has the makings of a superstar LB. I can't say the same about Lamb.
I liked Lamb also but considering the TE coverage problem we had, Simmons made more sense. He's been slow developing like you said but he's gonna be a star. Lamb isn't doing bad, he had a TD Sunday on a on side kick. I think he's in the top 4 stats wise for rookie WR's also? Had Dak not gotten hurt he probably would be near 1000 yards receiving right now? Considering the way Kirk is currently developing Lamb would be our #3 WR right now. Obviously we wouldn't have Simmons. We need OG, CB & a #2 WR in 2021.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked Lamb also but considering the TE coverage problem we had, Simmons made more sense. He's been slow developing like you said but he's gonna be a star. Lamb isn't doing bad, he had a TD Sunday on a on side kick. I think he's in the top 4 stats wise for rookie WR's also? Had Dak not gotten hurt he probably would be near 1000 yards receiving right now? Considering the way Kirk is currently developing Lamb would be our #3 WR right now. Obviously we wouldn't have Simmons. We need OG, CB & a #2 WR in 2021.

My thoughts are that on the offense, the Cardinals have two young building blocks that could be elite players at their position in Murray and Humphries. They brought in a seasoned All Pro in Hopkins. The overall talent on offense would make this a good offense even with replacement level coaching.

The defense needed a star player. Baker was on his way, but Jones will be declining and the Cardinals desperately needed a versatile second level defender much more so than another WR.

By draft day, I wanted OL first. Wills or Becton. Wirfs was a consideration too, but the first two are a bit more talented as pass blockers.

But Simmons was arguably the best player on the board and he fit a massive need. Early in the season Campbell made it look like the pick of Simmons was superfluous, but Campbell really fell off a cliff and Simmons has started to show his potential, which is a guy who can make plays in all defensive phases, not just a rusher, cover backer, or run stopper.

My faith in Simmons is now to the point that I expect that he is going to be a top ten LB next year. He is around the ball too much and is too talented for him to not meet those expectations.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My thoughts are that on the offense, the Cardinals have two young building blocks that could be elite players at their position in Murray and Humphries. They brought in a seasoned All Pro in Hopkins. The overall talent on offense would make this a good offense even with replacement level coaching.

The defense needed a star player. Baker was on his way, but Jones will be declining and the Cardinals desperately needed a versatile second level defender much more so than another WR.

By draft day, I wanted OL first. Wills or Becton. Wirfs was a consideration too, but the first two are a bit more talented as pass blockers.

But Simmons was arguably the best player on the board and he fit a massive need. Early in the season Campbell made it look like the pick of Simmons was superfluous, but Campbell really fell off a cliff and Simmons has started to show his potential, which is a guy who can make plays in all defensive phases, not just a rusher, cover backer, or run stopper.

My faith in Simmons is now to the point that I expect that he is going to be a top ten LB next year. He is around the ball too much and is too talented for him to not meet those expectations.
I agree on Simmons bro. He played deep safety several snaps on Sunday. VJ is finally starting to use him more like he was used at Clemson but he is a LB'er. I wish he would blitz him through the "A" gap right up the middle a little more though with his speed? That kid put so much pressure on QB's up the middle with Venables calling the shots. I agree, he's gonna be a pro bowler soon.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm definitely not second guessing the Simmons pick. I also think he'll develop into a great player. But, that doesn't negate our need for a WR2, WR3, and maybe more. We can't be a legitimate overall threat until we fix our WR group. So disappointed in the lack of production out of Kerr for the past 4-6 weeks. Not sure who to blame for that? KK? KM? Kerr himself? Hop always whining for the ball? Probably a combination I'm sure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jalen Thompson has developed imo. He started to get it the last 4-5 games in 2019 when VJ simplified the defensive assignments. He picked up right where he left off against the 49ers only to twist his ankle. I forget which game he came back but he was playing well & hurt the ankle again. If he can stay healthy for a whole season, we may have the best 2 safeties in the NFL? Could have 2 pro bowlers at some point back there? I love his game. He lays the hurt on people & is always around the ball.
You can only wait for players so long. I would rather have Wililams and play Thompson is a backup/nickel role than count on Jalen and spend another season watching Banjo (who isn't terrible but not good).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave