A Big Win for the Cardinals Future

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is what I saw on Sunday.

Kyler Murray had an amazing yet frustrating performance. He really struggled for a period but bounced back and put the game away.

Deandre Hopkins was unstoppable.

DJ Humphries seemed to be the one stable piece on the line.

Reddick had a very impressive game despite his issues in coverage.

Gardeck showed out in his limited role.

Simmons looked good despite some mistakes and played 76% of snaps.

Byron Murphy broke up 3 passes and all seemed to be in key moments.

Nice to see our younger players who are under contract for next year (except Reddick but I am guessing he is getting a deal) stepping up in big moments. Peterson looked bad. Same with Kirkpatrick. Drake looked banged up. Beachum and Sweezy washed as well.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We keep playing ourselves right out of the top draft pick again.

It's only a fan board idea, so it has no merit, but if Murphy were a safety, a safety rotation of Baker, Murphy, Thompson, and Banjo looks great to me. An OLB rotation of Jones, Reddick, Golden, and Gardeck also looks outstanding. We need to get some youth at our corner positions and get some continuity on the D Line.

Our O looks pretty good. Need to stabilize the OG's and get a WR2.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We keep playing ourselves right out of the top draft pick again.

It's only a fan board idea, so it has no merit, but if Murphy were a safety, a safety rotation of Baker, Murphy, Thompson, and Banjo looks great to me. An OLB rotation of Jones, Reddick, Golden, and Gardeck also looks outstanding. We need to get some youth at our corner positions and get some continuity on the D Line.

Our O looks pretty good. Need to stabilize the OG's and get a WR2.
So where are you playing Simmons?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are pieces. The key to next season IMO is we have to do a good job of drafting and signing CB's. ANd we need to keep Reddick and we have to be "lucky" and get Chandler Jones back and effective. If all that happens and we get the improvement from Simmons you would expect to see, the defense can make a big jump forward next year. Then if Kyler improves and if we keep some continuity I like our chances next year.

I keep saying it I really want Jalen Thompson back, Banjo made some plays yesterday, but Jalen is just better in coverage and it's a big thing I think he makes our CB's better because he has more range than Banjo.

We have some guys like him, Maxx on offense, that I think you don't appreciate what they do until they're not there.

We have an interesting offseason at WR too, I would hope Larry comes back for less but you need one more guy and then we need Kirk and Arnold to take the next step from flashes to consistency. The question is outside of guys he played with in college like Hollywood Brown, will Kyler attract a FA Wr? I am not saying he's a bad guy just when Vick was playing good Wrs didn't want to play with him because he ran too much. Kyler is nothing like Vick he might get 4000 yards passing this year but you wonder if you're a FA WR do you want to go play with Kyler Murray or do you want to go a team with a QB that runs less?

I would hope the answer is yes we want to play with Kyler we really need one more guy to open things up.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If I am building this roster, these are what I am building around.

Kyler Murray
Deandre Hopkins
DJ Humphries

Isaiah Simmons
Budda Baker

Past that, I am not beholden to any player on our roster. I think this also shows we need more young talent wherever we can find it.

###

Free agents I want to prioritize retaining

Haason Reddick (I am still skeptical but I was impressed vs Philly and he has two big matchups to come)

Dan Arnold

Chris Banjo (I really like Jalen Thompson but Banjo has turned out to be the perfect backup. Can hold his own when he needs to start).

###

Vet Free Agents who I hope give us a home town discount for one last run

Larry Fitzgerald (I would pay him 5 mil and he is great as a 65% snap guy)

Corey Peters (Consistent and a great example for our young guys)

Markus Golden (Same as Peters)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am building this roster, these are what I am building around.

Kyler Murray
Deandre Hopkins
DJ Humphries

Isaiah Simmons
Budda Baker

Past that, I am not beholden to any player on our roster. I think this also shows we need more young talent wherever we can find it.

###

Free agents I want to prioritize retaining

Haason Reddick (I am still skeptical but I was impressed vs Philly and he has two big matchups to come)

Dan Arnold

Chris Banjo (I really like Jalen Thompson but Banjo has turned out to be the perfect backup. Can hold his own when he needs to start).

###

Vet Free Agents who I hope give us a home town discount for one last run

Larry Fitzgerald (I would pay him 5 mil and he is great as a 65% snap guy)

Corey Peters (Consistent and a great example for our young guys)

Markus Golden (Same as Peters)

@5 I could stomach Fitz but not much more.... Sadly I think Michael will pay more...

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
We should be a VERY attractive landing spot for Free Agents that are currently on other teams as well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should be a VERY attractive landing spot for Free Agents that are currently on other teams as well.

not gonna have a lot of money and the cap is going down... possibly substantially

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
not gonna have a lot of money and the cap is going down... possibly substantially

they are in a decent spot cap wise --- they should have the flexibility to make the moves they want, but cant go crazy.

I think it will look alot like a standard Keim offseason: re-sign a couple guys, sign a couple medium dollar guys and then shop for bargains

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

(click on the 2021 space tab)

if you want a look at a bad cap situation: look at the Saints and the Eagles. If you look at who they have signed, and cap savings from cutting --- it will be an ugly offseason for those teams.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
they are in a decent spot cap wise --- they should have the flexibility to make the moves they want, but cant go crazy.

I think it will look alot like a standard Keim offseason: re-sign a couple guys, sign a couple medium dollar guys and then shop for bargains

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

(click on the 2021 space tab)

if you want a look at a bad cap situation: look at the Saints and the Eagles. If you look at who they have signed, and cap savings from cutting --- it will be an ugly offseason for those teams.

this wouldnt be so bad if Kiem knew how to draft

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Won't other teams be in the same boat?

I could see a lot of one-year deals waiting to see if full attendance is allowed in 2021 so the cap can go back up for 2022

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The idea of trading Chandler Jones may not be that bad an idea.

As long as Gardeck and Riddick can be resigned cheaper. But his age and lack of production scared me a bit before he got hurt, which of course might also might make trading him difficult in a tighter cap environment.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The idea of trading Chandler Jones may not be that bad an idea.

As long as Gardeck and Riddick can be resigned cheaper. But his age and lack of production scared me a bit before he got hurt, which of course might also might make trading him difficult in a tighter cap environment.

he’s had 49 sacks the last 3 seasons and in a season with pretty much no training camp or real structured off season you want to get rid of him because of 4 games?

riiiiiiight

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he’s had 49 sacks the last 3 seasons and in a season with pretty much no training camp or real structured off season you want to get rid of him because of 4 games?

riiiiiiight

He's also 31 is getting paid 12 million and is about to become a free agent and was getting less pressure than Reddick has in the time he played before being hurt.

Time defeats everyone.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's also 31 is getting paid 12 million and is about to become a free agent and was getting less pressure than Reddick has in the time he played before being hurt.

Time defeats everyone.

4...games

But yeah let’s keep Reddick over a future hall of famer because he’s had a good year

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4...games

But yeah let’s keep Reddick over a future hall of famer because he’s had a good year

If he was 26 or 27 I would not even dare suggest it - but he's not. He will fall off one day, probably soon - and I don't really want to be the team paying him 20 million a year for 4 years when it happens.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Time defeats everyone.

He also had the protection schemes entirely focused on him in those 4 games.

Let's not be like Houston.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave