Kudos Kliff

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff is good except in high pressure situations, in which he can't seem to make the right decision. If he feels perspiration, he needs to become Opposite George real quick.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has got to clean up the clock management/2 minute stuff but agreed, he turned in a very good day play calling wise.

First one I have seen from him thus far.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah, we showed that 4 win team that we were who they thought we were.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Best coached game of the year imo.

Overcame Vance, overcame Kyler's turnovers/losing confidence.

Still got it done.

Well done.

Yeah, I can't agree here. He had to overcome his own stupidity too. The self-castrating play calling in the 2-minute offense to end the first half, the poor play calling with 3 tries failing to get a first down after 2nd and 1, and calling a TO to aid the opposition when they're stuck on 4th and 8 in their own territory.

So, maybe it was better than a lot of his abysmal coaching efforts earlier in the year, but I wouldn't call it a well-coached game.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't agree here. He had to overcome his own stupidity too. The self-castrating play calling in the 2-minute offense to end the first half, the poor play calling with 3 tries failing to get a first down after 2nd and 1, and calling a TO to aid the opposition when they're stuck on 4th and 8 in their own territory.

So, maybe it was better than a lot of his abysmal coaching efforts earlier in the year, but I wouldn't call it a well-coached game.
Honestly...we're 8-6 with a 2nd year QB and 2nd year coach.

I told myself not to overreact before this game. Not post in the game thread where its overreacting to every little thing.

I saw balance and control despite things not being perfect around him either.

A win is a win. Nobody is perfect. His QB was coming apart in the 2nd half and still had him attacking.

Year 4? Then I'd probably be harsher. However, now he showed he can overcome and thats good enough for me right now.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff still calls some head scratching plays at critical times. Today wasn't the best game we're gonna see from him hopefully? There's things he needs to get better at & when he puts it all together we'll like it. He did call a good game, we could've easily put up 47 points & put the game away but turnovers killed both those red zone drives. KM needs to learn how to carry a football better also. We're 8-6, control our own destiny & I'm happy as hell right now.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

It got me drinking and as you know I'm not a drinker broke out the 20 year old kirkland scotch. it didn't help.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont mind the first draw play to kick off the end of the first half drive ( and its become the most predictable play call we have now)

-- but good grief, three in a row??

really my only complaint KK wise

overall: what is it about WR tunnel screens that confound this defense?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

That timeout was to allow Gardeck to get off the field. He was then carted back to the locker r room. It was a good time out.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Really Harry? You know they are a different team with Hurts than with Wentz.
Really! The Cards had film on the Eagles with Hurts, that’s huge. Actually though it took awhile. The D finally figured out he was still a rookie and under a real pass rush he looked like a rookie. They were afraid to run stunts early but the weak scoring offense forced them to be more aggressive. The zone D had a hole that was so open I’m stunned the Eagles didn’t exploit it more often.

As to that offense the Cards should have put up 40 points and placed even more pressure on Hurts. The 2 minute “drive” to end the first half was the same old sad series. They ran so much the clock became a huge factor. They still have no dependable 1 yard plays when they need it. Teams have figured out their red zone offense and the Cards failed to adapt. Only Fitz and Hopkins saved them on scoring plays. Fitz has been historically great in the red zone but could only get targeted in desperation. Hopkins’ catch was one only a couple of NFL receivers could make. The interception was based on a drag play that forced Murray to throw late into the middle of the defense, usually a bad idea. No pick plays, no isolated corner throws and no attempt to rollout Murray forcing defenders to choose coverage.

Philly had to play with virtually their entire secondary out or injured, yet the Cards seemed to seldom have open receivers. Only Murray could run effectively. Handoffs were awkward at best and the pitched option was amateurish.

I’m sorry if this offends but there were many more issues with why Philly is a weak team beyond QB play. I’d agree Hurts makes them better but he’s not much better than Murray was last year. The Cards should have attacked him as teams attacked Murray. The Philly O-Line was weak. This should have been a showcase game for how this Cards’ team was better than last year. They won, so in the absolute they were better, but they should have dominated them like they did the Giants. The Cards had the playoffs at stake. Only a daydream would put Philly in the same mode. Philly is a bad team.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really! The Cards had film on the Eagles with Hurts, that’s huge. Actually though it took awhile. The D finally figured out he was still a rookie and under a real pass rush he looked like a rookie. They were afraid to run stunts early but the weak scoring offense forced them to be more aggressive. The zone D had a hole that was so open I’m stunned the Eagles didn’t exploit it more often.

As to that offense the Cards should have put up 40 points and placed even more pressure on Hurts. The 2 minute “drive” to end the first half was the same old sad series. They ran so much the clock became a huge factor. They still have no dependable 1 yard plays when they need it. Teams have figured out their red zone offense and the Cards failed to adapt. Only Fitz and Hopkins saved them on scoring plays. Fitz has been historically great in the red zone but could only get targeted in desperation. Hopkins’ catch was one only a couple of NFL receivers could make. The interception was based on a drag play that forced Murray to throw late into the middle of the defense, usually a bad idea. No pick plays, no isolated corner throws and no attempt to rollout Murray forcing defenders to choose coverage.

Philly had to play with virtually their entire secondary out or injured, yet the Cards seemed to seldom have open receivers. Only Murray could run effectively. Handoffs were awkward at best and the pitched option was amateurish.

I’m sorry if this offends but there were many more issues with why Philly is a weak team beyond QB play. I’d agree Hurts makes them better but he’s not much better than Murray was last year. The Cards should have attacked him as teams attacked Murray. The Philly O-Line was weak. This should have been a showcase game for how this Cards’ team was better than last year. They won, so in the absolute they were better, but they should have dominated them like they did the Giants. The Cards had the playoffs at stake. Only a daydream would put Philly in the same mode. Philly is a bad team.

A "bad team" coming off a win against the Saints.

Reaction score
Cardinals Fans - Risky play that works "Kliff is a genious!!!"
Cardinals Fans - Risky play that doesn't work "OMG Kliff is a moron!!"

Can we all just face the facts that when we go for it as many times as we do, we are going to fail somewhere around 30-50% of the time? The other team has highly paid, smart people too making good play calls and players that can make plays.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals Fans - Risky play that works "Kliff is a genious!!!"
Cardinals Fans - Risky play that doesn't work "OMG Kliff is a moron!!"

Can we all just face the facts that when we go for it as many times as we do, we are going to fail somewhere around 30-50% of the time? The other team has highly paid, smart people too making good play calls and players that can make plays.

That's "genius".... genious! ;)

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hurts has started two games, one against a VJ led defense.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The one series that had me ready to turn in my Kliff Kard was the series continuation after the fake punt. Deep in Eagles territory, 2nd and 1 and we run right into the meat of their D Line on the first play and lose a down. With Chase, not a banger.

Drake is out at this point mind you, so Chase is running up the gut, which he can't do.
But, lo and behold, the anchor of their defense goes out injured. Fletcher Cox is out for at least a play. So do we put in a big back and dive up the middle for one yard? Hell no.
Kliff spreads four wide and then doesn't pass the ball, and doesn't run at the backup lineman. He pitches to Edmonds off tackle into the only well defended spot on the Eagles D. Like you're trying to fail.

Then, elects to go for it on 4th down, and needing 3 yards, naturally decides to fire a low percentage long bomb down the sideline.

None of those plays made a lick of sense.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one series that had me ready to turn in my Kliff Kard was the series continuation after the fake punt. Deep in Eagles territory, 2nd and 1 and we run right into the meat of their D Line on the first play and lose a down.

Drake is out at this point mind you, so Chase is running up the gut, which he can't do.
But, lo and behold, the anchor of their defense goes out injured. Fletcher Cox is out for at least a play. So do we put in a big back and dive up the middle for one yard? Hell no.
Kliff spreads four wide and doesn't pass the ball, and doesn't run at the backup lineman. He pitches to Edmonds off tackle into the only well defended spot on the Eagles D. Like you're trying to fail.

Then, elects to go for it on 4th down, and needing 3 yards, decides to fire a low percentage long bomb down the sideline.

None of those plays made a lick of sense.

So many times people complain that KK goes run run run without getting the 1st down. There is no guarantee that a 3rd run would have got the 1st down, according to recent history. He did what the majority here asked of him, but it a terrible call of course... because it didn't work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson