Greatest trades in PHX sports history...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s early but I’m putting Nuk in the top-3 already-

Contenders:
Barkley
KJ
Schilling
Gonzo
Chandler Jones
Palmer
(hopefully CP3)

probably forgetting someone obvious...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Gonzo can be roided out of his mind but not Peterson???

Barkley and KJ led the Suns to the finals

Gonzales and Schilling won a championship

Palmer took us to the NFC championship

Hopkins and Jones win it all them those two jump to the front of the line.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How many games was Gonzo suspended for PEDs?

How many championships does Peterson have?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley and it’s not even close... But I have zero connection the the DBs and never will....

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

PED testing wasn’t enforced during that time in MLB... Peterson got caught and tried to dilute his sample. It caused a huge damper to the beginning of Kyler/Kliff’s first year.

Plus we were facing Clemens/Pettite in the WS who were juiced up anyway.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm a life long baseball fan but I think the impact to the Valley from the Barkley years was greater than winning the World Series was. Winning the Super Bowl would have topped the Barkley run but baseball just doesn't have the same impact IMO.

Those Suns teams choked year after year though. A title trumps all especially in the fashion the D’Backs did ending the Yankees dynasty.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Barkley
Not even close.
Suns were rockstars
We even paid to watch their games on PPV

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Suns teams choked year after year though. A title trumps all especially in the fashion the D’Backs did ending the Yankees dynasty.

Choke must mean something different to you than it does to me. To me, choking means letting the pressure get to you and I never saw that from Barkley's Suns. We lost to the greatest player to ever play the game and then we lost to an all time great player. Yes, we should not have lost to Houston but that wasn't pressure.

I'm not trying to take anything away from winning the World Series, it was a lot of fun. And that was after Kim put a lot of us on suicide watch. But it's just not the same. The city of Phoenix came alive during the Barkley years, never matched before or since although the Super Bowl was close. JMO.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Choke must mean something different to you than it does to me. To me, choking means letting the pressure get to you and I never saw that from Barkley's Suns. We lost to the greatest player to ever play the game and then we lost to an all time great player. Yes, we should not have lost to Houston but that wasn't pressure.

I'm not trying to take anything away from winning the World Series, it was a lot of fun. And that was after Kim put a lot of us on suicide watch. But it's just not the same. The city of Phoenix came alive during the Barkley years, never matched before or since although the Super Bowl was close. JMO.

To me choking is going 0-3 at home in finals with b2b defensive meltdowns in game 6 then blowing 2-0 and 3-1 leads in b2b years vs inferior teams talent wise. You can stomach losing to MJ but those Houston series were the definition of gagging.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Right now it is Barkley for me. This is Nuk's first year here. See me in 5 years.

And 100,000 people (including me) at the parade for a team that lost in the title series. The Suns set the state on fire like I have never seen. And baseball is my favorite sport.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley, Gonzo, Hop. That order won't change.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Before the end of his career, LeBron will have something to say to that. In fact, you could argue he already does.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Against what many believe is the GOAT closer in MLB history

Barkley’s trade was a big deal. But they didn’t win a ring.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baseball will never be what basketball is here. If you grew up here and your a certain age it just is what it is.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baseball will never be what basketball is here. If you grew up here and your a certain age it just is what it is.

Yep. I grew up being a massive Cubs fan and still am today. When the Dbacks came to AZ I could really care less. Already had my allegiance to a team firmly cemented. The Cubs were still around for ST every year and still easily accessible on TV as well.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Before the end of his career, LeBron will have something to say to that. In fact, you could argue he already does.

People who actually saw Jordan play would never say that.
LeBron is a great player, that can't be overstated. But he will never own the world like Jordan did. It was just different. Jordan wasn't the just the best basketball player. He was the most recognizable face on the planet and the most sought after and most revered.

People gear up and game plan for opposing Lebron. People were terrified to oppose Jordan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who actually saw Jordan play would never say that.
LeBron is a great player, that can't be overstated. But he will never own the world like Jordan did. It was just different. Jordan wasn't the just the best basketball player. He was the most recognizable face on the planet and the most sought after and most revered.

People gear up and game plan for opposing Lebron. People were terrified to oppose Jordan.

I SAW JORDAN PLAY. Give me a break with this type of stuff. This has nothing to do with being the most recognizable face on the planet. It was about who is the greatest basketball player. The debate is already out there by people who have seen Jordan play...