Wild Card Tie-Breaker Scenarios

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty simple, win 2 and your in

or Win 1 against SF and then need GB to beat CHI, and unless the Saints and Sea both lose next weekend, they will need to beat CHI, also Titans highly motivated to beat GB next week as they are tied with Colts for division lead.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chicago is only 7pt favs against Jax. Could easily lose that one.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cardinals can’t blame anyone for not making it but themselves.... Should have beat the Lions, Dolphins and Pats and they choked. It’s nobodies fault but our OWN.

We sure didn’t choke against Buffalo, Seattle (home), or Philly tho!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Correct. We are all Saints fans on Christmas! As long as Nola wins Friday, the Packers have to try to beat the Bears in Week17. We are still in good shape.

also we really want Seattle to beat LA this week

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Cardinals lost three games in a row they put themselves in position to having to win out. This is how I've been thinking about it as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The fact that we are fighting for a 7th spot highlights that we aren't there yet. That said, this is a great experience for a young team and I am going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Yes. Look what's going on with the Bills right now after they dramatically flamed out in the playoffs last year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We sure didn’t choke against Buffalo, Seattle (home), or Philly tho!
Exactly. Bottom line, we are NOT a finished product at all. Would I love to see them in the playoffs? Absolutely!! But if we go 9-7 & miss the playoffs, I’ll get over it. You are what your record says you are.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chicago is only 7pt favs against Jax. Could easily lose that one.
That isn’t happening. Only the Jets and Cardinals (lost both Mannings) are stupid enough to win meaningless games and lose out on drafting a probable franchise QB. Jax will lay down & die the rest of this season.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I posted this on a thread Sunday. If the Pack wins next week, they will likely rest their best players against the Bears. That means the Bears likely win out. The only way the Cards make the playoffs is to win out themselves, which means beating the Rams. Since the Cards look like they bring a knife to a gunfight every time they play the Rams, things don’t look good. It also concerns me that the Cards might look ahead to that game and get knocked off by the Niners. The Cards will need to up their game if they’re going to extend their season.

If the Packers get a bye, they likely don't rest their starters against the Bears because that would mean not playing for two weeks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What is really interesting is that we are still only two games behind Seattle and in the unlikely event that we win out, Seattle loses twice and we beat the Rams...we win the division.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Packers get a bye, they likely don't rest their starters against the Bears because that would mean not playing for two weeks.

Have you never paid attention to football before? Teams who have clinched byes in the playoffs almost always sit their starters in their last game.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Jets won or tried to win is because there are rumors that Trevor Lawerence will not Goto the Jets and demand he be skipped or traded. I think Jets know this and would rather have 2nd pic. Less money same person to draft

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Jets won or tried to win is because there are rumors that Trevor Lawerence will not Goto the Jets and demand he be skipped or traded. I think Jets know this and would rather have 2nd pic. Less money same person to draft

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I've never paid attention to foosball, so thanks for educating me.

You’re welcome. And someone needed to because what you said has almost no basis in reality.

unless a team was going for an undefeated season, the MOST teams with a locked in bye and playoff position play their starters is a quarter or two. If that.

to say that GB would play that game like a normal game having clinched the only bye flies in the face of decades of NFL play in the final week.

Don’t worry... you weren’t the only one to say something ludicrous to talk themselves into the idea that the Packers would help us. I saw another poster say they might play all their starters because it’s a “rivalry” game. That was pretty myopic as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCardinal

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Just a point of clarification:

A Saints win alone does NOT force GB to play their starters in Week 17. If GB beats TEN, then the only way to prevent their clinching the 1-seed this week would be for Seattle to beat the Rams.

That would keep Seattle alive for the 1-seed. Technically, it would also keep New Orleans alive for the 1-seed, *BUT* the Saints would need Seattle there to force a 3-way tie with GB. Without Seattle there, the Saints are helpless and could not catch GB.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
You’re welcome. And someone needed to because what you said has almost no basis in reality.

unless a team was going for an undefeated season, the MOST teams with a locked in bye and playoff position play their starters is a quarter or two. If that.

to say that GB would play that game like a normal game having clinched the only bye flies in the face of decades of NFL play in the final week.

Don’t worry... you weren’t the only one to say something ludicrous to talk themselves into the idea that the Packers would help us. I saw another poster say they might play all their starters because it’s a “rivalry” game. That was pretty myopic as well.

Ya know, you may be right, but a lot of times I think your message gets lost because of its tone. You come off a bit arrogant, and needlessly hostile towards other fans. Really no need to sound like such as ass.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know, you may be right, but a lot of times I think your message gets lost because of its tone. You come off a bit arrogant, and needlessly hostile towards other fans. Really no need to sound like such as ass.

there’s certain posters who I admittedly talk down to. I won’t deny that. Nor do I care that my message gets lost in those instances.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the LA Rams game is a must win for us to get in, I am okay with that.

Basically, we would be just starting the playoffs one week earlier. Are we good enough to win in the playoffs, or not? Answering that question in LA is ok.

Win or lose against SF, that will be the scenario. Personally, I think GB will have to beat Chicago. But counting on that to make the playoffs is pretty lame. A win over SF and the Rams is how we really want to do it.