Kliff playcalling master thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's combine all of his play calls into this same thread.

I'll leave all of the other ones as individual threads, but will be merging all other threads from this point forward.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise you after any Murray scramble over 10 yards, we are running the ball up the middle next play

I have yet to figure out why we take a huge play and promptly plod for 2 yards

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watching the Browns game...execute a couple great screen passes to pick up yards.

A good screen game is something we really need to add. Not these slot screens, but a legit screen to the backs. Havent really seen it since DJ's been gone.
I promise you after any Murray scramble over 10 yards, we are running the ball up the middle next play

I have yet to figure out why we take a huge play and promptly plod for 2 yards
Kyler told him that he sometimes gets tired after a big run. I think Kliff said he wanted to be aware of that because Kyler's mechanics can suffer when tired. I think now its becoming too predictable though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Watching the Browns game...execute a couple great screen passes to pick up yards.

A good screen game is something we really need to add. Not these slot screens, but a legit screen to the backs. Havent really seen it since DJ's been gone.

Kyler told him that he sometimes gets tired after a big run. I think Kliff said he wanted to be aware of that because Kyler's mechanics can suffer when tired. I think now its becoming too predictable though.

Then the kid needs to get way more aerobic exercise. This is an unacceptable excuse.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then the kid needs to get way more aerobic exercise. This is an unacceptable excuse.
TBF..you gotta remember the tempo we play at. Constant running and then an up tempo play right afterwards you're going to be a bit tired.

Its a tricky thing because we're at our best going fast. However, instead of an up tempo hand off I think a screen pass would work.

Or just trust that his mechanics wont break down the next play.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am glad that Kliff is evolving. Hop on the right side changes the complexity of defenses against the Cards.

Hopefully him seeing success will cause him to only move forward.
I loved them moving him to the right but I'd love to see them put him in motion a few times. He's great at yards after the catch & getting a running start like that would put the DB at an even bigger disadvantage imo. Loved all the different personnel packages KK used. I thought we'd start out using 12 & 21 this season since he saw it worked in 2019. I guess he thought by getting Hopkins & being a legitimate #1 he could go back to more 10 personnel? Loved the play we ran using 21 personnel with a man in motion (Kirk I think) & Hopkins ran that crossing route for a 1st down.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Lol
Unbelievable
The guy is amazing and gets 1st downs with his feet and you're wanting him in better shape. Just wow

If the guy says he's gassed after a 10-yard run to the point that the next play has to be a straight hand-off, then absolutely! Can't even drop back and throw? You can't be that predictable, and frankly, you can't be that out of shape. I question the veracity of that report, though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kyler is tired after running 10+ yards? Come on man. Kids a 22 year old pro athlete.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think I would like to see more passing, especially early on. Soften them up on the pass, then the run. Seems like he wants to balance between the run and pass game too much for me. Maybe roll Kyler out more?

Mayfield looked awfully good last night, especially on rolling out, I thought.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Some of our terrible screen game comes from how defenses rush Kyler. Those DEs rush outside arm and shallow which puts them right in the area of the screen. The entire point of screens is to suck in the defenders which creates space and then throw over them into that space. These defenders are being coached NOT to attack Kyler recklessly which prevents them from getting sucked in.

I am not saying there isn't a way to run a successful screen game with Kyler, but recognize it is a bit more difficult with him than with a guy like Baker.

Same with rollouts.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

lol @ guys with beer guts in their pictures saying the athlete with a 6 pack needs more cardio work...

total weight of gear is around 12 pounds (closer to 15 pounds if you've got rib pads on)...

why dont you put on a 15 pound weight vest, jog around for 5 mins, then sprint for 20 yards, and see if you want to sprint again in 25 seconds after rapidly communicating with people and not sitting down and breathing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And they don't get paid multi-million dollar contracts to do so :)

I know right? This is some of the dumbest stuff I've ever heard. We run after Kyler runs because he's too tired to throw accurately? Has nobody seen him play at OU?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol @ guys with beer guts in their pictures saying the athlete with a 6 pack needs more cardio work...

total weight of gear is around 12 pounds (closer to 15 pounds if you've got rib pads on)...

why dont you put on a 15 pound weight vest, jog around for 5 mins, then sprint for 20 yards, and see if you want to sprint again in 25 seconds after rapidly communicating with people and not sitting down and breathing.

Pay me $35m for 4 years of running around and throwing a ball with the promise of $150m more if I do it well enough and you can be damn sure there wouldn't be anyone fitter on the field.

Kyler can't throw after a run is some of the weakest crap I've ever seen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm sure that many posters who complain about KM getting tired, huff and puff just trying to get from their sofa to their computer. :)
Lol and this is relevant exactly how? I’m sure if I asked kyler to explain permitted disaggregation in the context of new comparability profit sharing plan he’d be a making a frowny face. But thankfully I don’t count on kyler for ERISA law.

Stout

Reaction score

lol @ people who think football fans and their condition has anything to do with millionaire athletes and theirs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think I would like to see more passing, especially early on. Soften them up on the pass, then the run. Seems like he wants to balance between the run and pass game too much for me. Maybe roll Kyler out more?

Mayfield looked awfully good last night, especially on rolling out, I thought.
I’ve wanted more rollouts too but the evidence points to the fact that kyler is not a good passer on the run. Which is surprising considering many of his best passes have come off his back foot prior to ducking a pass rush. So he’s not bad off balance. It’s a weird combo for such a mobile QB to be as subpar as he is throwing on the run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So of our terrible screen game comes from how defenses rush Kyler. Those DEs rush outside arm and shallow which puts them right in the area of the screen. The entire point of screens is to suck in the defenders which creates space and then throw over them into that space. These defenders are being coached NOT to attack Kyler recklessly which prevents them from getting sucked in.

I am not saying there isn't a way to run a successful screen game with Kyler, but recognize it is a bit more difficult with him than with a guy like Baker.

Same with rollouts.
Most teams are pressuring up the middle. That’s where kyler needs to take advantage somehow. The issue there is he isn’t tall enough to get off a center screen if they release the defenders up the middle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol @ people who think football fans and their condition has anything to do with millionaire athletes and theirs.
It may literally be the worst take I’ve ever read on ASFN, and I’ve read (and contributed) some seriously awful takes.