Nugent in Gonzalez out

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nugent made 4 kicks between 30-39 yards. A distance from which Zane is also perfect this season. The only longer kick Nugent tried was short from 55 (nullified by a penalty). So we know nothing new.

Neither of these guys may be our future kicker, although Zane obviously has much more upside.

Choking is not an upside. Neither of these guys IS our future kicker, full stop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nugent might not have the leg to hit from fifty yards now but I noticed something even on the kick which fell short, every kick was dead on between the uprights... and none of that soccer wiggle making one cringe of the possibilities

yup.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Nugent made 4 kicks between 30-39 yards. A distance from which Zane is also perfect this season. The only longer kick Nugent tried was short from 55 (nullified by a penalty). So we know nothing new.

Neither of these guys may be our future kicker, although Zane obviously has much more upside.

Listen to this man:

Choking is not an upside. Neither of these guys IS our future kicker, full stop.

How bad Nugent you perceive may be, doesn't excuse the turd droppings that Zane has given to us.

Keim should be SCOURING the planet right now for another kicker, but in the meantime, I'd rather go with the guy who hasn't choked us straight into losses. Hell, I'll take Vanderbilt's Sarah Fuller over Zane right now, I'm so underwhelmed by Zane.

If Nugent also fails us, so be it. But until then I'll take the *somewhat* unknown (someone mentioned above about how accurate and I'd say CONFIDENT Nugent's kicks were) over the already known choker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to this man:

How bad Nugent you perceive may be, doesn't excuse the turd droppings that Zane has given to us.

Keim should be SCOURING the planet right now for another kicker, but in the meantime, I'd rather go with the guy who hasn't choked us straight into losses. Hell, I'll take Vanderbilt's Sarah Fuller over Zane right now, I'm so underwhelmed by Zane.

If Nugent also fails us, so be it. But until then I'll take the *somewhat* unknown (someone mentioned above about how accurate and I'd say CONFIDENT Nugent's kicks were) over the already known choker.

yeah... if we know we've got one guy who looks accurate from short but can’t kick long and another guy who can’t kick under pressure or... really from medium range, I don’t get not even trying to bring in someone else.

will anyone be surprised if we make the playoffs and get Racker’d/Parkey’d or Zaned at the end of a game just crushing all of our souls?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about yesterday (no Zane).

Kliff went for it on 4th and goal rather than kick a sure field goal. Came away with zero points.

Nugent missed a kick short (nullified by a false start penalty). With the additional yardage, Kliff did not have Nugent attempt another FG and instead had Kyler run around and fall down.

Kliff punted to the Giants rather than attempt a long FG.

Where's the confidence...? :shrug:

Oh, never mind. We won so all is forgotten. :)
I'm still irritated he ran and slid. It's a hail mary dude, chuck the ball with your eyes closed

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Zane sucks, but so does Nugent.

It's like trying to get me to eat a turd covered in bbq sauce vs. eating a turd covered in sweet and sour sauce. Both suck, and whatever rationale anyone tries to use to say either choice is good....sucks.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Jesus.

The team had other issues, this is true.

We're talking about a specific one here, and that's Zane.

I'm not going to re-litigate the evidence, but I'll just present them again:

upload_2020-12-14_9-20-13-png.34450

upload_2020-12-14_9-20-50-png.34451

Look, EVERY team should work towards NEVER needing a FG. And they DO.

But let's not use our inadequacies in other areas to excuse Zane's, please.
I'm still not convinced we win that game against Miami if Zane makes that kick. They had been driving on us all game long, they absolutely would have scored a gamewinner. I'm not absolving Zane of his guilt, that kick was terrible, but we likely would've lost even if he had made it. The Dolphins are better than us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's like trying to get me to eat a turd covered in bbq sauce vs. eating a turd covered in sweet and sour sauce. Both suck, and whatever rationale anyone tries to use to say either choice is good....sucks.

this is the truth... and bigger issue that Keim has put us, yet again, in a position of choosing between drek and crap and those two options being that for completely different reasons.

which is kind of impressive incompetence when you think about it.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced we win that game against Miami if Zane makes that kick. They had been driving on us all game long, they absolutely would have scored a gamewinner. I'm not absolving Zane of his guilt, that kick was terrible, but we likely would've lost even if he had made it. The Dolphins are better than us.

It's still *some* chance if he makes that kick, versus the nil chance his miss gave us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ive thought this as well... which is another blemish on Kliff. He played for a long field goal tie, with almost two minutes on the clock to let Miami come back and beat us in regulation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus.
Look, EVERY team should work towards NEVER needing a FG. And they DO.

Does Kliff? Seems to me we have played for a FG several times including the Miami game. Kliff put us in a situation after a big gain on a pass to Kirk where he called run, run and left us with 3rd and 1 with the game on the line and THEN called a pass. I mean really?

We lost this game because at 31 - 31 first Kliff had a garbage drive where we moved 33 yards on 10 plays and 8 of them were runs. We had to convert one 4th down to keep it going and then couldn't convert a 4th on 1 giving them the ball back on their own 40 so they only had a short field to get into FG range. Which then then surely did.

Then down 31-34 we gain 35 yards with the very first play of the drive. We then run, run and leave ourselves with 3rd and 1 on the Miami 31. Have the two minute warning to decide how to get 1 yard and decide a quick pass to Kirk is it.

The only aggressive play of the 2 drives was the 1st one we were behind and Kliff was desperate. As soon as we made that and he felt comfortable again he turtled. And this is Kliff's problem. He's scared of making calls that lose, an EZ shot with the game on the line that might get intercepted or result in a sack for example. In the final 2 drives we attempted 4 passes total even though we gained more yards on those 4 passes than the 11 runs combined.

No 49 yard FG is automatic. For any kicker. Zane didn't lose that game. Kliff lost the game. He's a coward in clutch situations. He plays for the sticks and FG's, never goes for the win by TD.

Even if Zane made the FG (which was only to tie the game BTW) there was still 1:58 on the clock and I 100% guarantee you Miami get a FG to win in that time.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I would say Zane is more like the perfect looking cheeseburger. You are really enjoying it until you realize there is a turd inside of it. Even though it has all the ingredients you love...its ruined.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you just have a personal vendetta against Kliff, Zane clearly lost that Miami game.

I blame Kirk more than Zane & anyone else for that Patriots loss though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
ive thought this as well... which is another blemish on Kliff. He played for a long field goal tie, with almost two minutes on the clock to let Miami come back and beat us in regulation.

The problem is...the defense, even with all the injuries, is so poorly coached at times. Unless they have a game where they just physically beat their guys constantly, the scheme just leaves guys out of position all of the time or guys are put in positions that they can't handle (Hicks in pass coverage).

Kliff makes mistakes, but I think he is one of the main reasons the Cardinals have 7 wins right now when they had three last year. Murray is the other. Vance can be blamed for more of the losing than anyone else on this squad. Zane sucks yeah, but we all know this and putting him in positions to win games is losing football.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Kliff? Seems to me we have played for a FG several times including the Miami game. Kliff put us in a situation after a big gain on a pass to Kirk where he called run, run and left us with 3rd and 1 with the game on the line and THEN called a pass. I mean really?

We lost this game because at 31 - 31 first Kliff had a garbage drive where we moved 33 yards on 10 plays and 8 of them were runs. We had to convert one 4th down to keep it going and then couldn't convert a 4th on 1 giving them the ball back on their own 40 so they only had a short field to get into FG range. Which then then surely did.

Then down 31-34 we gain 35 yards with the very first play of the drive. We then run, run and leave ourselves with 3rd and 1 on the Miami 31. Have the two minute warning to decide how to get 1 yard and decide a quick pass to Kirk is it.

The only aggressive play of the 2 drives was the 1st one we were behind and Kliff was desperate. As soon as we made that and he felt comfortable again he turtled. And this is Kliff's problem. He's scared of making calls that lose, an EZ shot with the game on the line that might get intercepted or result in a sack for example. In the final 2 drives we attempted 4 passes total even though we gained more yards on those 4 passes than the 11 runs combined.

No 49 yard FG is automatic. For any kicker. Zane didn't lose that game. Kliff lost the game. He's a coward in clutch situations. He plays for the sticks and FG's, never goes for the win by TD.

Even if Zane made the FG (which was only to tie the game BTW) there was still 1:58 on the clock and I 100% guarantee you Miami get a FG to win in that time.

Of course he does. It is part of the reason he goes for it when so many people are screaming that he just take the safe 3 points. You KK haters can't have it both ways.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he does. It is part of the reason he goes for it when so many people are screaming that he just take the safe 3 points. You KK haters can't have it both ways.

Setting up for a FG - it's so much like Wilks two years ago.

Rosen gets in, is lighting it up, moving the team down the field, and then we run it three times to set up a long FG. Miss. SMH.

I love going for it in many of the situations where we have gone for it - but some of the plays are real head scratchers. Looking for something more creative. Defenses - heck, fans - usually know exactly what is coming.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you just have a personal vendetta against Kliff, Zane clearly lost that Miami game.

I blame Kirk more than Zane & anyone else for that Patriots loss though.

Sure, Zane lost us the game kicking for a TIE from 49 yards after two crap drives, with Miami getting the ball back with 1:58 on the clock.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Sure we can. We can want him to consider the situation more rather than just automatically go for it. There is a happy medium to be found.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setting up for a FG - it's so much like Wilks two years ago.

Rosen gets in, is lighting it up, moving the team down the field, and then we run it three times to set up a long FG. Miss. SMH.

I love going for it in many of the situations where we have gone for it - but some of the plays are real head scratchers. Looking for something more creative. Defenses - heck, fans - usually know exactly what is coming.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me here or not. KK certainly takes more risks by not kicking FGs than Wilks does. :shrug:

KK gets creative and fans say he shouldn't be cute and should just run something more traditional. He has tried end arounds, RPO options, WR screens etc. He does that and we say, why doesn't our 5'10" QB sneak it in. Like I said. If you don't like the guy and are looking for excuses, you can find one. Even with our struggles, we are the #3 red one offense in the NFL, and you'd think by the reaction here, we were bottom 3.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lol no he doesn't. His 4th down decisions are always early in the game when he has plenty of time to claw it back or when we are getting whipped and he has nothing to lose.

When it's in actual crunch time he's the exact opposite. Can barely get him to try anything explosive to win the game. He's all B gap runs and 3 yard passes.

If we're tied or down by 3 I guarantee you he plays for the FG every time, no matter how long is left on the clock.