BR: Most likely landing spots for Patrick Peterson.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1. At his age, Peterson isn't going to reset the cornerback market, but he is still likely to command a fair bit of guaranteed cash in free agency. If he brings his price down just a bit, though, he would make a ton of sense for Arizona.

The Cardinals could then use any cap savings to address their other cornerback spots and/or their pass rush. Arizona ranks a mediocre 16th in passing yards allowed and has registered just 29 sacks as a team. Star pass-rusher Chandler Jones—who is out for the season—will be entering the final year of his contract next season.

Aside from his six-game suspension last year for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs, the Cardinals haven't known life without Peterson since he was drafted in 2011. There's little reason for them to get acquainted with it now.

Ranking Most Likely Landing Spots for Patrick Peterson in 2021 NFL Free Agency | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
At 6-6, the Cardinals are close to being contenders now. If they can add a few more pieces and make a few positive strides, they might even become favorites in the NFC West next season. With more than $22 million in projected cap space, the Cardinals could also afford to give Peterson one last lucrative contract—especially if he's willing to accept a hometown discount.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could see him going to TB or MIA as he is from FL.

MIA would be my guess because they can probably offer him the best chance of winning as their defense is up and coming currently ranked #2 overall behind PIT. Not sure what MIA cap situation is but money will be a factor for him as this will most likely be his last contract so he won't take any discount in my opinion.

TB would reunite him with Bowles and they could offer him the most money but I don't see Brady playing past next year and they could get bad real fast.

I see that cap savings can really help ARZ but who are you going to get to replace him? There aren't any #1 CB's on market this offseason unless Keim can convince Belichik to a deal for Gilmore.

I don't see a CB in the draft other than Farley or Surtain who would be able to start Day 1 but chances are we'll be out of their range. So the only option is to try and bolster our pass rush and find serviceable CB's who won't be a liability. If Peterson were a couple of years older then the decision would be easier but theoretically he is still in his prime and could bounce back next year on a team with a better pass rush.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

MIA would be my guess because they can probably offer him the best chance of winning as their defense is up and coming currently ranked #2 overall behind PIT. Not sure what MIA cap situation is but money will be a factor for him as this will most likely be his last contract so he won't take any discount in my opinion.

TB would reunite him with Bowles and they could offer him the most money but I don't see Brady playing past next year and they could get bad real fast.

I see that cap savings can really help ARZ but who are you going to get to replace him? There aren't any #1 CB's on market this offseason unless Keim can convince Belichik to a deal for Gilmore.

I don't see a CB in the draft other than Farley or Surtain who would be able to start Day 1 but chances are we'll be out of their range. So the only option is to try and bolster our pass rush and find serviceable CB's who won't be a liability. If Peterson were a couple of years older then the decision would be easier but theoretically he is still in his prime and could bounce back next year on a team with a better pass rush.

I doubt it’s Miami as they already have two elite corners

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would the Bucs take him? They have a nice core of young DB's that are only going to get better next year. I'd play Davis or Dean over Pat Pete any day.

Colts, Bengals, Redskins, Jags and Titans are more likely.

I still think he probably stays here. He shouldn't, but we have no depth and you can't bank on the draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It makes 0% for Miami to get him, lol.

Almost the same with Tampa.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would the Bucs take him? They have a nice core of young DB's that are only going to get better next year. I'd play Davis or Dean over Pat Pete any day.

Colts, Bengals, Redskins, Jags and Titans are more likely.

I still think he probably stays here. He shouldn't, but we have no depth and you can't bank on the draft.
I would 100% throw rookie CBs out there then watch Patrick Peterson do Patrick Peterson things for another season.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I'd settle for PP21 landing on another team is if we received someone who can help our team as much as losing Patrick would hurt us.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More PP hate. He is a very good corner. Keep him!!! Guarantee if they asked around the league. People would have him top 10

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More PP hate. He is a very good corner. Keep him!!! Guarantee if they asked around the league. People would have him top 10

if you’re talking about people smoking crack or living in 2015, you’d be right.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
if you’re talking about people smoking crack or living in 2015, you’d be right.
I'm sorry my friend, but no one who trashes Peterson this bad seems to have the slightest idea of how to replace him.

I mean, at least DVontel's calling his shot, he'd like to roll with two rookies in what should be Kyler's prime window for a championship. There just aren't resources to replace PP21.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we have done that for 1.5 years with Murphy and watch him get taken advantage of constantly

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

That's because Murphy isn't as good as Carlton Davis or Jamal Dean.

P2 is still good at all the mental things that come with being an experienced vet which covers up for quite a large decline in things you really need to play CB. Like being able to run fast and turn fast.

This means he's pretty good when he has help and he working against route combinations. He has the smarts to pass off his man and reroute. But makes him pretty poor on an island where he has been consistently beat all season.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think P2 will leave, he is not happy here. I could see him in the AFL with either the Chiefs or Raiders.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think P2 will leave, he is not happy here. I could see him in the AFL with either the Chiefs or Raiders.
he wasn't happy when we had Josh Rosen, Steve Wilkes, and 3 wins...

nobody was happy... I think PP would be happy to stay here but of course I dont know him

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Sal cap now is slated to be $175mm or so -- a $15mm reduction from current. A reduction has never happened, and most teams have set their caps assuming that it goes up every year

this offseason is going to be unusual. hard to predict what the market is for a better than average, but past his prime corner will be.

you still see the old PP in spurts, but its not there every play.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Question for you cap gurus. If the cap goes down does that effect the f-tag or the t-tag player salary? Or is it commiserate on the top salary's at the position still?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is he winds up staying here. But we need to draft a CB who can be a #1, or try to pull off a trade for one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is the Cards will franchise tag Peterson. When you look at the team as a whole and the FA class, I think they will decide to give themselves another year to try to add CB talent. I know a lot of people won't like it, but my guess is that is what they will do.