Week 13- LA Rams @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 2020

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like our staff gameplans against Shanahan better than most teams, is evenly matched against Pete and is horrible against McVay. This game is winnable but I'm very pessimistic about Sunday.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the Cards are gonna get boat raced by the Rams on Sunday. For the 1st time in a very long time, I have zero optimism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the Cards are gonna get boat raced by the Rams on Sunday. For the 1st time in a very long time, I have zero optimism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Boat raced...... A term I am unfamiliar with, but it seems to fit perfectly.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So Justin Murray js back?

If so is Kliff or Keim gonna pull the plug on Sweezy?
Its obviously not all on him, but 9 sacks the last 3 games.

Seemed like protection across the board was damn good before that.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Donald on Kyler Murray: Rams know how to handle mobile quarterbacks

The Rams have yet to face the Cardinals in 2020. Which means that, this season, the Rams have not yet had to deal with quarterback Kyler Murray.

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald addressed the challenge of facing a player like Murray in a Thursday press conference.

“Well, he’s a good football player that can do a lot,” Donald said of Murray. “Obviously, you play a lot of quarterbacks in this league that’s mobile, but he’s definitely has a lot more quick twitch and can do things. So, you’ve got to just rush, have gap contain, don’t get up field, don’t leave rush lanes open to the point where you can step up and have a choice of running or passing. We know what to do, because we play a lot of mobile quarterbacks. We’ve got two of them, we’ve got him and Russell Wilson in our division. So, we kind of know how to handle it, we’ve just got to make sure that we rush the right way pretty much and are gap sound. . . .

“I think Murray is probably a little twitchier [that Wilson]. He’s a good football player. We’ve played a lot of good quarterbacks and mobile guys that you kind of know what to expect, how to rush against them and what you need to do to try to bottle them up, we just have to go out there and execute it.”

Murray, in Donald’s assessment, has improved since last year.

“You can just see he’s playing more confident, feeling little bit more comfortable being in his second year,” Donald said. “He’s playing better football than he was last year, and he’s got some good guys around him that’s helping him as well. We’ve got our hands full, but we’ll prepare for the challenge and be ready.”

Donald would prefer not to have to be ready for the challenge presented by a mobile quarterback.

“Well, I think anybody that rushes the passer would say they’d rather have a quarterback that’s going to just sit there,” Donald said. “You get a clean rush and you think you’ve got him, and then he could spin out and make things happen with his feet, then you got to chase him all day. But, that’s just the way the league is now, so just got to adapt to it.”

Donald understandably didn’t want to delve too deep into details regarding the approach to bottling up Murray, based on film study.

“We’ve seen a lot of things, I’m not going to sit here and tell you guys what we have seen,” Donald said. “Buy, you study film, you sit down with your coaches, they see certain things and you talk about certain things. You have a game plan that you have against a team and you have to go out there. Hopefully they stick to what we’ve been watching. Obviously, they’re going to throw things that we don’t expect, and that’s just a part of the game, but they prepare you the best way they know how to get ready for that. To the point where on Sunday, now you’re able to play at a high level, play fast, do what you do and do everything you can to eliminate certain things to the point where we can win.”

The Cardinals have lost two in a row since the Hail Murray game from nearly three weeks ago. At 6-5, they need to stay a step ahead of teams like the Vikings and 49ers, both of which are 5-6 and jockeying for the No. 7 seed.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
My post is based on the belief that our week 17 game was a better representation of how we will play this week.

Week 17 - Rams 31 Cards 24.

It was 24-17 with 11minutes to go in 4th. We had the ball and were driving...KK through an INT at Rams 15 yard line.

We had 4 critical turnovers (2 INT and 2 fumbles)
Rams had zero

Goff had a career day - 319 yards 3TD and zero INT (only 1 sack)
Murray had 2 TD and 2 INT but only rushed the ball 2 times for ZERO yards (that will improve)

Gurley gashed us pretty bad and he isn't there anymore (Ram RB's are decent)
Chase Edmonds had 1 rush for -1 yards

Higbee had 8 catches for 84 yards and a TD - I don't think that happens again (we are better in this area)

Our leading receiver was Dan Arnold.
Our starting WR's were Fitz/Kirk/Byrd
Huge improvement with Hop/Fitz/Kirk

Our CB's have improved:
PP21/Murphy/Jones last year
PP21/Kirkpatrick/Murphy this year

Joe Walker was 3rd leading tackler vs Deondre Campbell this year
Reddick is playing much better

We lost Chandler Jones but they lost Andrew Whitworth
They also lost Brandin Cooks and Corey Littleton but gained Leonard Floyd

Big add is Jalen Ramsey, who didn't play in week 17

All in all, I expect a competitive game.

If we improve in the areas we expect, we could win this game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rams don't haven't been scoring a tonne of points but we always struggle against them defensively.

I think the score will be closer than the game deserves. I think we get whooped in all quarters but still end up something like 29-21 losers. Maybe 31-21.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Darren Urban
@Cardschatter

·
4m

I asked Kliff Kingsbury if he has ruled out Larry Fitzgerald for Sunday. He just said Fitz remains on the COVID list. It would seem unlikely after missing this much time from the field Fitz would be able to play even if he came off the list Saturday.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Darren Urban
@Cardschatter

·
4m

I asked Kliff Kingsbury if he has ruled out Larry Fitzgerald for Sunday. He just said Fitz remains on the COVID list. It would seem unlikely after missing this much time from the field Fitz would be able to play even if he came off the list Saturday.

You see teams every week taking someone off COVID or IR the day before a game. Now, if he were pretty sick, then I'd agree with Urban without a doubt...but if his symptoms were mild or he was asymptomatic, I'd say he can still suit up, if he makes it back by tomorrow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Larry against the Rams would suck. They pummel us enough at full strength. We need everyone on the roster healthy and playing their A game to keep us from staring down a 3 game losing streak.

I really think of all weeks, we need to hit the ground running in this game. If we get behind early, I fear this team hasn’t matured to the point that they won’t just completely self destruct and get crushed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Larry against the Rams would suck. They pummel us enough at full strength. We need everyone on the roster healthy and playing their A game to keep us from staring down a 3 game losing streak.

I really think of all weeks, we need to hit the ground running in this game. If we get behind early, I fear this team hasn’t matured to the point that they won’t just completely self destruct and get crushed.

I think Kliff has to change things up this week. I think the plan should be simple, if we win the flip, we're taking the ball and we're going to score a TD. None of this defer to 2nd half take the ball and go right after them. Show your players you have confidence and go get it.
Not saying you do that every game but we're one hail mary away from 3 straight losses we need to change something

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kliff has to change things up this week. I think the plan should be simple, if we win the flip, we're taking the ball and we're going to score a TD. None of this defer to 2nd half take the ball and go right after them. Show your players you have confidence and go get it.
Not saying you do that every game but we're one hail mary away from 3 straight losses we need to change something

we’re one Hail Mary away from FOUR straight losses Russ.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose