Out of curiosity

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get it but rugby isn't the same as the NFL. Not saying he can't do it, just probably never has. I'm not adverse to trying something new cuz what we're doing now isn't working.

Watch rugby with the opening scrum--not much different than an OL facing off against a DL on a goal-line stand.

Rugby is NFL football without protective equipment, (some do wear scrum caps that are useless against concussions), or rules protecting the players from ‘unnecessary roughness.’ In fact, the best players are the ones who deliver the biggest hits on unprotected players. Some of the guys have sidesteps that put KM’s runs to shame (check out Cheslin Kolbe on Youtube). Teams ‘offload’ the ball (flip the ball to a teammate just before getting whacked) like a well-oiled basketball team moving down the court. They move the ball down the field via lateral passes that put ‘The Play’ between Stanford and California to shame.

We need to recruit more rugby players to the NFL. Whiners tried out Jarryd Hayne, a star rugby player from Australia, back in 2015. These guys are fearless and I can see some returning kicks and taking a lick and not flinching.

It is sandlot football with no rules or any parents yelling at you that you are going to get hurt.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I'm surprised that SK drafted Leki Fotu and passed on #53

Or we could start giving the dude some credit.

Traded basically nothing (and an albatross contract with DJ) for Chandler Jones, Carson Palmer, and Hopkins. 3 Hall of Fame players. Also got Drake for a 5th.

Had a lot of draft misses but essentially selected 9 of our starters; Murray, Humphries, Kirk, Cole, Allen, Reddick, Thompson, Murphy, and Baker.

Pretty good FA signings recently as well; Beachum, Campbell, Hicks, and Kirkpatrick.

Don't get me wrong...we should be much better off regarding draft picks but lets be balanced.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Traded basically nothing (and an albatross contract with DJ) for Chandler Jones, Carson Palmer, and Hopkins. 3 Hall of Fame players. Also got Drake for a 5th.

Had a lot of draft misses but essentially selected 9 of our starters; Murray, Humphries, Kirk, Cole, Allen, Reddick, Thompson, Murphy, and Baker.

Pretty good FA signings recently as well; Beachum, Campbell, Hicks, and Kirkpatrick.

Don't get me wrong...we should be much better off regarding draft picks but lets be balanced.

My comment was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek joke. :sarcasm:

SK has his hits and his misses---just like every other GM.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Could be, but could also he a fumble waiting to happen. There is usually a reason why players play where they play, and don't play where they can't or never have. But hey SK likes to draft players and move them so what do I know?

Fotu because of his Rugy days, not just because hes big. Hes used to running with the ball and drive his legs like a bulldozer.

Im struggling to think of a human that could knock Fotu back when he's running with a head of steam.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Fotu because of his Rugy days, not just because hes big. Hes used to running with the ball and drive his legs like a bulldozer.

Im struggling to think of a human that could knock Fotu back when he's running with a head of steam.
I actually think this is worth trying. He would seem to be the horse for the course.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I actually think this is worth trying. He would seem to be the horse for the course.

the fact something like this (with someone) wasn’t already installed is enough for me to know this staff sucks.

at least show the big body to keep the edges honest and run Kyler around the outside if they crash down. FFS. Easy 6 inches of real estate purchase.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Great at trades.

horrible drafting (I mean, outside of Murray and baker who are top shelf, Humphries looks good and the rest are just guys at this point. That’s fetid.

and the four guys you mention as free agents are also average at best. Has he ever signed a multi-year stud free agent?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great at trades.

horrible drafting (I mean, outside of Murray and baker who are top shelf, Humphries looks good and the rest are just guys at this point. That’s fetid.

and the four guys you mention as free agents are also average at best. Has he ever signed a multi-year stud free agent?

WTF? Someone listed Carson Palmer as a HOF player?!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the fact something like this (with someone) wasn’t already installed is enough for me to know this staff sucks.

at least show the big body to keep the edges honest and run Kyler around the outside if they crash down. FFS. Easy 6 inches of real estate purchase.

Agree. It seems to be a standard play regardless of the type of offense that is the overall scheme. Fotu has been injured and so far this season hasn't seen much action at all---he's coming off an ankle and is due back Week 13. (His injury and that of Rashard Lawrence has been one of the 'quiet' disappointments for this season regarding our 2020 draft---we thought we had two interior lineman to plug into our run defense.)

There has to be a big body able to crash the line---Max Williams handles the ball and could get the hand-off.

Don't the biggest kids run the ball on the playground and tromp all over the little kids?We got to have someone on the roster who used to do that.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WTF? Someone listed Carson Palmer as a HOF player?!

BA said that Palmer has the stats for a HOF QB but didn't get the SB ring for his finger to pad his resume.

Too many other more successful QB's in his overall class. His early injury history and his time with the Bungles sidelined his career. His holdout to get traded from the Bungles and then his 'retirement' to get his way left a sour taste for many regarding his status and that will come back to haunt him come voting time.

92-88-1 overall record (of course Eli Manning went .500 for his career)
46,247 yards
294 TDS

Those stats compare with some of the guys in the HOF. What's missing is the ring and the zing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose