Free Agency 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this was a draft pick out of the Joe Johnson trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Franchise altering bad luck moment.

The Suns created the situation by not extending Joe Johnson before he became a restricted free agent. My primary focus has always been on this.

When a team depends on luck to bail them out this is what can happen.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns created the situation by not extending Joe Johnson before he became a restricted free agent. My primary focus has always been on this.

When a team depends on luck to bail them out this is what can happen but I'm sure the Hawks had a lot to do with it.

What I mean was the luck was completely out of their hands in terms of ping pong balls.

They created the core of the problem with Joe. Btw I don’t have a problem with them not giving him the max before his breakout season but don’t cut off negotiations at $5m short. They should’ve done a better job the next summer of convincing him to stay. They still didn’t offer the max after the 05’ run.

The arrow points both ways in the blame game. Johnson was upset that the Suns would not give him $50 million over six years last summer and then offered $60 million over five years last month as a counter to Atlanta's maximum deal.

He had hoped Phoenix would open July with a huge offer, became upset when he was asked to choose between offers and rejected a Suns request to restructure the $69.6 million.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/coro-puts-the-nail-in-the-coffin.57520/#post-750635

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

When a team depends on luck to bail them out this is what can happen.
I don’t think many would argue with that. That said, once that error was already committed our foul luck compounded the situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What I mean was the luck was completely out of their hands in terms of ping pong balls.

They created the core of the problem with Joe. Btw I don’t have a problem with them not giving him the max before his breakout season but don’t cut off negotiations at $5m short. They should’ve done a better job the next summer of convincing him to stay. They still didn’t offer the max after the 05’ run.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/coro-puts-the-nail-in-the-coffin.57520/#post-750635
Man the suns just screwed themselves with every step of that negotiation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Two blunders by the Suns handling Joe Johnson's contract but the first one would have been cheaper and easier to solve.

Maybe if Sarver had offered the max to Joe when free agency started he might have stayed but personally I thought he was gone when Sarver told him to go prove himself, or words to that effect, the year prior. I know those words gnawed on me and likely many other posters.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Two blunders by the Suns handling Joe Johnson's contract but the first one would have been cheaper and easier to solve.

Maybe if Sarver had offered the max to Joe when free agency started he might have stayed but personally I thought he was gone when Sarver told him to go prove himself, or words to that effect, the year prior. I know those words gnawed on me and likely many other posters.

JMO but I think Joe gave Sarver the chance to offer him the max for a second time. When he didn’t that was probably it.

As it turned out Diaw would’ve been more important than JJ that next season with Amare out but they would’ve been the overwhelming favorites with Amare back healthy in 07’.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JMO but I think Joe gave Sarver the chance to offer him the max for a second time. When he didn’t that was probably it.

As it turned out Diaw would’ve been more important than JJ that next season with Amare out but they would’ve been the overwhelming favorites with Amare back healthy in 07’.

This could well be. I thought Joe Johnson was a special player. I would have preferred to keep him over any trade.

If the NBA has taught us anything, try to keep star players because they are very hard to replace especially if a team is not in a prime market.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This could well be. I thought Joe Johnson was a special player. I would have preferred to keep him over any trade.

If the NBA has taught us anything, try to keep star players because they are very hard to replace especially if a team is not in a prime market.
Yup. And if JJ had grown at the pace he did with the hawks we would’ve easily had the most talented ********* in the league with he, Nash and amare. Even more talented than Parker, ginobili and Duncan. And that’s without even bringing Marion into the conversation!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicolas Bantum signs with Clippers after being waived by Hornets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicolas Bantum signs with Clippers after being waived by Hornets.

has Batum been serviceable the last couple seasons? People seem to just fall off the face of the earth when they end up on Charlotte.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
has Batum been serviceable the last couple seasons? People seem to just fall off the face of the earth when they end up on Charlotte.

He was a role player in portland and was just expected to do too much given his contract in charlotte.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bantum only played in 22 games last season partially because of a broken finger but his career seems to be in decline. I liked him most when he played for Portland.

Maybe the Clippers can revive his career. If you are curious, below is a link to his stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/batumni01.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Jackson gets a two year guaranteed contract with the Pistons for Room Exception and no options.

What can I say. They had money to spend and spent it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Jackson gets a two year guaranteed contract with the Pistons for Room Exception and no options.

What can I say. They had money to spend and spent it.

WOW.

How long does that guy get to get paid big bucks for potential when he has clearly shown he is a knucklehead that is extremely unlikely to ever meet it?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW.

How long does that guy get to get paid big bucks for potential when he has clearly shown he is a knucklehead that is extremely unlikely to ever meet it?

We need someone to sign Dragan Bender. Last I heard he was with the Warriors.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Dragan has physical skills. It's all mental for him. Plus he is still young. He has a chance to improve.