2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Anyone know if the AD and LeBron contracts have any PO's? If they can both opt out next year, then the Giannis to LA thing is still in play.

Also. CP3 has a PO for next summer. Theoretically, he could opt out, take a longer deal for less per year and make room for a signing of some sort. If he was going to go for it all and try to win a championship . . . who knows. Opt out of a $44 million one year deal for a $66 million three year deal? Not bad coin to be making at 38. That gives the team $22 million extra to work with. They could move Saric for another $9 million. There is some flexibility. But I do like the team as is.

Its and interesting list of free agents.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/
ADs is PO in 2024 I believe. Not sure about LeBron, but his contract lasts for like 4 more years so I doubt there would be a PO before the last year or 2.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone know if the AD and LeBron contracts have any PO's? If they can both opt out next year, then the Giannis to LA thing is still in play.

Also. CP3 has a PO for next summer. Theoretically, he could opt out, take a longer deal for less per year and make room for a signing of some sort. If he was going to go for it all and try to win a championship . . . who knows. Opt out of a $44 million one year deal for a $66 million three year deal? Not bad coin to be making at 38. That gives the team $22 million extra to work with. They could move Saric for another $9 million. There is some flexibility. But I do like the team as is.

Its and interesting list of free agents.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/
Not everyone wants to play and live in LA believe it or not. I don’t know if the Greek Freak feels that way, but there are many who personally dislike LA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding to the conversation. I didn't hear of any player option on Lebron's two year extension. He said he wants to finish his career with the Lakers.

Anthony Davis has an option after the 4th year of his 5 year contract.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Greek to LA is just hot air. Miami fits him culturally better and I’m not sure James will be King James after this year. James style of play is very Physical, when the decline hits it’s going to hit hard and fast.

Also the Lakers are the best on paper, but I’m not really sure they will be the best team by the end of the season. That’s why we play the games right.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to play and live in LA believe it or not. I don’t know if the Greek Freak feels that way, but there are many who personally dislike LA.

Sometimes players want to join other star players more than the attraction of the market itself.

Maybe Giannis would consider Los Angeles even if it's not his favorite place for this opportunity.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Greek to LA is just hot air. Miami fits him culturally better and I’m not sure James will be King James after this year. James style of play is very Physical, when the decline hits it’s going to hit hard and fast.

Also the Lakers are the best on paper, but I’m not really sure they will be the best team by the end of the season. That’s why we play the games right.

Agree. Giannis going to a market like Miami is more likely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. If he leaves, I see him forcing his way to Miami.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
In other news I heard a rumor from a hoops head guy. Told me that he heard Paul George for Ayton swap. I found it amusing.

best made up rumor of the off season I e heard so far.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news I heard a rumor from a hoops head guy. Told me that he heard Paul George for Ayton swap. I found it amusing.

best made up rumor of the off season I e heard so far.

After watching Paul George last season I wouldn't do it. IMO, his performance in the playoffs was disappointing

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching Paul George last season I wouldn't do it. IMO, his performance in the playoffs was disappointing
Don’t even see where Paul would fit into the team to be honest. Though the front court would be scary on the defensive end.
The dude has no connections, probably read it on some message board throwing out trade ideas.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a legit big three depending on Aytons progress. Not many teams in the league do.

The thing about our big three is that those three have complementary games.

What are the big three of other teams?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sometimes players want to join other star players more than the attraction of the market itself.

Maybe Giannis would consider Los Angeles even if it's not his favorite place for this opportunity.

Dallas would be a huge blow to the Suns maybe even bigger than LA considering the Lakers are already great.

With the way the league works now it’s rare superstar caliber players see a third contract with their original team:

Lebron
Davis
Durant
Kawhi
George
Kyrie
Bosh
Butler

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t even see where Paul would fit into the team to be honest. Though the front court would be scary on the defensive end.
The dude has no connections, probably read it on some message board throwing out trade ideas.

I'm wanting to see what the Suns can do with the improved roster before even entertaining an idea like this seriously. Although Ayton gets a lot of criticism for not developing more quickly, he could well be a young star in the making. If everyone stays healthy, I think the Suns can make some noise this season.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm wanting to see what the Suns can do with the improved roster before even entertaining an idea like this seriously. Although Ayton gets a lot of criticism for not developing more quickly, he could well be a young star in the making. If everyone stays healthy, I think the Suns can make some noise this season.
Agreed, even if Ayton didn’t progress but maintained his level of play he is still a top 5 center in the league. Lucky for us, we got Paul who will make ayton progress.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas would be a huge blow to the Suns maybe even bigger than LA considering the Lakers are already great.

With the way the league works now it’s rare superstar caliber players see a third contract with their original team:

Lebron
Davis
Durant
Kawhi
George
Kyrie
Bosh
Butler

I don't even want to think about Dallas. They will definitely attract some good players with Doncic. I was really upset when Porzingis went there. Now it's looking like that may not work out as expected.

I'm hoping the Suns can keep their group together long enough to compete for a championship but the West is loaded. Maybe they take the next step forward when Chris Paul's contract expires.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We have a legit big three depending on Aytons progress. Not many teams in the league do.

I completely agree. Even if Ayton only takes a small leap forward and Booker improves marginally, along with CP3 still playing at a high level that would be a legit big 3. Then factor in solid depth and it is hard to see this team not being quite good.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't even want to think about Dallas. They will definitely attract some good players with Doncic. I was really upset when Porzingis went there. Now it's looking like that may not work out as expected.

I'm hoping the Suns can keep their group together long enough to compete for a championship but the West is loaded. Maybe they take the next step forward when Chris Paul's contract expires.
Really don't know if Giannis and Luka can coexist all that seamlessly. Both players play their best ball with the ball in their hands and I don't see either one being all that great off ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, even if Ayton didn’t progress but maintained his level of play he is still a top 5 center in the league. Lucky for us, we got Paul who will make ayton progress.

The Chris Paul Paul trade can be boom or bust. If it works out the Suns can play with almost any team. It will be interesting to see what Ayton can do with Chris Paul running the show.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really don't know if Giannis and Luka can coexist all that seamlessly. Both players play their best ball with the ball in their hands and I don't see either one being all that great off ball.

You could well be right. I guess my biggest concern is for Luka to have another star player to play with him. So far Porzingis is not that player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like there is a good chance active rosters can be increased to 15 players for shortened season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Johninromania

You might enjoy this article about the influence Chris Paul could have on Deandre Ayton.

By Kellan Olson Arizona Sports:

Paul demands that respect because it’s warranted. That’s something Ayton is fully aware of and giddy enough about to want to do a backflip when he heard the news, as he put it.

“Just knowing the type of tradition and the type of dude and the type of career he had and the foundation he laid in this league, it’s tremendous,” Ayton said. “And knowing that I’m gonna be a part of his legacy? Oh yeah. I can’t stop moving. I want to lift more weights. It’s go time. You have a future Hall of Famer coming here to really show us the ropes and help me and Book out as young guys who can really take over this league.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/246...auls-leadership-is-exactly-what-he-suns-need/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn’t do it even if he played like he did on OKC, and that’s said as someone who’s girlfriend was piped by Ayton.

his upside and ability to give us a dynamic inside out game that would allow us to play a multitude of styles depending on matchups or allow us to impose our will on other teams if he develops is still too great of a possibility to give up.

this team has potentially GREAT balance with an inside out game and lots of shooters.

no way I’d give that up for a orimadonna who I think is past his primed like Paul George.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bingo. If everyone is healthy and Ayton takes steps forward, that is a dynamic big 3 that will be tough to tango with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do it even if he played like he did on OKC, and that’s said as someone who’s girlfriend was piped by Ayton.

There seemed to be a chemistry issue with the Clippers last season. I'm not sure of the exact cause but watching Paul George in the playoffs was a disappointment. He is not the player I would the Suns to go after down the road.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Ayton talks, you have to try to interpret what he is saying in your mind.

"You ever seen a footer do backflip?"

Seven footer?