Andy Isabella

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
such a good WR class and we took two in the first four rounds who suck.
Imo..should have addressed WR at the top of round 2. Andy needs to improve obviously, but I see a quite few guys on that lists who are better players overall than Murphy as well.

Take AJ Brown (or Deebo) and there's not any pressure to take Andy with the Rosen pick.

If Andy was selected where Hakeem Butler was there'd be far more patience.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still trade 2nd year Isabella for 2nd year JJ Nelson.

That's the benchmark.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo..should have addressed WR at the top of round 2. Andy needs to improve obviously, but I see a quite few guys on that lists who are better players overall than Murphy as well.

Take AJ Brown (or Deebo) and there's not any pressure to take Andy with the Rosen pick.

If Andy was selected where Hakeem Butler was there'd be far more patience.
If we didn’t have Byron, we would have a bottom 5 CB group.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was my guy as well. So bummed when we passed on him.

he was 3rd on the Buckeyes in receptions that year, he didn't even have 40 catches but had 11 TD's, 20 yards per catch. parris campbell was the guy everyone talked up it makes you wonder. I think McLaurin missed 2 games with injury, my guess is he was probably less than 100% in others too.

Pretty remarkable, I still like Parris Campbell but he's only managed 9 games and 24 catches in 2 years and is out for the year recovering from knee surgery, and McLovin is a freaking star.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we didn’t have Byron, we would have a bottom 5 CB group.
Think I'd rather have a top WR core and live with those results.

If you told me Murphy will move to safety I think he could be a star though. As an outside corner or nickel corner? Unless he improves his twitch I'm not sure he's a 2nd contract guy.

Although TBF maybe if he was in another defense than what Vance pus him it could be different.

Reaction score
All of these guys are trash lol
I didn't list them to justify the selection of Isabella; quite the contrary.

Everyone of the 4 guys mentioned in my post have input on draft picks; it's they who do the scouting and compile information upon which draft selections are made. Everyone of them has a connection with University of Massachusetts, the same school which Isabella came from. Ergo, quite the UMass clique in the scouting department and they overrated Isabella likely at least in part to "homerism", and fed that assessment up the chain.

Not to say that Keim is not to blame, as he is ultimately responsible.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the book is pretty much written on Andy. I still hope we trade him for Kerryon Johnson in the offseason.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think majority is on Kliff, if Andy was put on routes designed to maximize his speed against mismatches, he can still do something.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't list them to justify the selection of Isabella; quite the contrary.

Everyone of the 4 guys mentioned in my post have input on draft picks; it's they who do the scouting and compile information upon which draft selections are made. Everyone of them has a connection with University of Massachusetts, the same school which Isabella came from. Ergo, quite the UMass clique in the scouting department and they overrated Isabella likely at least in part to "homerism", and fed that assessment up the chain.

Not to say that Keim is not to blame, as he is ultimately responsible.

Oh I know, it speaks to there inability to scout and distinguish talent. Partly due to the blind homerism.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the book is pretty much written on Andy. I still hope we trade him for Kerryon Johnson in the offseason.

One things for sure. The team is better without him. Isabella might be one of the worst value WR picks this franchise has ever picked.

I'm not a Kerryon fan though. What do you see? He's 3rd on the Lions depth chart and could barely get a carry with Swift out recently.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think majority is on Kliff, if Andy was put on routes designed to maximize his speed against mismatches, he can still do something.

agree we don’t seem to try and any deep shots with him, he’s just a decoy mostly clearing out a zone for someone else to run through who is the primary target. Still would like two deep shots a game with Isabella

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dont understand why he isnt a better KR/PR...at least he could add value on special teams.

I really hope that we are not seeing an actual talent wasted by KK and the team. I know the kid went to a small school, but he dominated. He should be able to do SOMETHING well in the NFL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff loved him so drafting him is on Kliff IMO. What I disagree with is the usage. We have tried end-arounds, quick screens, crossers, and vertical routes and none seem to work. He struggles with the nuances of the position and competing while the ball is in the air. It also seems like his QB doesn't trust him and that is tough to change.

His inability to contribute on special teams is probably what hurts him the most.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still wonder what a competent OC could do with him. Problem is he is not a polished route runner like Welker, Edelman, Beasley or Amendola which is why he is not in their class as a slot receiver. If any of those guys had Isabella's sub 4.4 speed they would have been even more dangerous.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agree we don’t seem to try and any deep shots with him, he’s just a decoy mostly clearing out a zone for someone else to run through who is the primary target. Still would like two deep shots a game with Isabella

He's looked garbage trying to track the ball every time we have tried to throw deep to him

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dont understand why he isnt a better KR/PR...at least he could add value on special teams.

I really hope that we are not seeing an actual talent wasted by KK and the team. I know the kid went to a small school, but he dominated. He should be able to do SOMETHING well in the NFL.
He isn't physical. He isn't big. He can't return kicks. He doesn't make plays when given the opportunity. He is just extremely limited. Some of those things were hinted at heading up to the draft. I didn't like the pick but I didn't think he would be this bad.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff loved him so drafting him is on Kliff IMO. What I disagree with is the usage. We have tried end-arounds, quick screens, crossers, and vertical routes and none seem to work. He struggles with the nuances of the position and competing while the ball is in the air. It also seems like his QB doesn't trust him and that is tough to change.

His inability to contribute on special teams is probably what hurts him the most.

He ran his one and only ever KR straight into a TE like he was Forest Gump. Guys been an embarrassment at everything we've tried.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still wonder what a competent OC could do with him. Problem is he is not a polished route runner like Welker, Edelman, Beasley or Amendola which is why he is not in their class as a slot receiver. If any of those guys had Isabella's sub 4.4 speed they would have been even more dangerous.

Nothing. He's bad. He's fast and thats about it. I wouldn't even say he's quick over short yardage, he needs time and space to get up to speed. For a small guy his agility is poor which is why he can't KR. His hands are frying pans. His ball tracking sucks. There's literally no redeeming quality to his game whatsoever.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One things for sure. The team is better without him. Isabella might be one of the worst value WR picks this franchise has ever picked.

I'm not a Kerryon fan though. What do you see? He's 3rd on the Lions depth chart and could barely get a carry with Swift out recently.
I see a guy who has over 4 career YPA, can catch the ball and who can be explosive. He has been dinged up a bit and fallen out of favor with a bad coaching staff. He can do everything, is relatively cheap, and fills out a position we lack depth at. Similar situation that led us to acquiring Drake. Until our roster is in a better place where we can afford to use a 2nd or 3rd on a RB, these are the types of players I would target. Another guy I would look at is Royce Freeman of the Broncos.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see a guy who has over 4 career YPA, can catch the ball and who can be explosive. He has been dinged up a bit and fallen out of favor with a bad coaching staff. He can do everything, is relatively cheap, and fills out a position we lack depth at. Similar situation that led us to acquiring Drake. Until our roster is in a better place where we can afford to use a 2nd or 3rd on a RB, these are the types of players I would target. Another guy I would look at is Royce Freeman of the Broncos.

I liked Drake at Miami. COuld always see his potential. I don't see that with Johnson.

I like Jamaal Williams over the guys you mentioned. He's UFA and I doubt the packers resign him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave