Week 13- LA Rams @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 2020

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Week 13 7th Seed Playoff Picture and Info for Your AZ Cardinals

Hi, everyone! After a tough loss to the Pats we are currently sitting at 6-5 and still in the 7th seed. I will be breaking down possible scenarios that can play out for the rest of the year that can secure or destroy our playoff chances.

**Note: This is for informational purposes so we know who to root for, I am not predicting any of the crazy outcomes so don't hate on me. I'm just trying to inform people.**

​

I'm not going to waste anyone's time with us getting anything other than a 7 seed. We could do better but my fingers are cold so it's hard to type. So just the 7th seed.

​

The most likely outcomes that can knock us out of the 7th seed are the **Bears and Vikings**. If the 49ers beat the bills this week I will include them next week but I still feel safe from them taking our spot at this point in time.

**Bears 5-6:** The first threat to our playoff hopes is easily the Bears. Realistically, we just need one of those bad teams to beat them.

13 - DET - WIN

14 - HOU -WIN

15 - MIN - WIN

16 - JAX -WIN

17 - GB -LOSS

Once again, it might seem like a stretch but it is indeed doable for them. Up until this season the Bears had never lost to the Vikings under Matt Nagy. Their record against the Lions under Nagy is 5-0.

HOU and JAX look like absolute poo tier opponents. Beatable with their defense as JAX has no QB and Watson holds the ball way too long. They can lose both games to GB and still come out at 9-7.

**Vikings 5-6**: The only other viable threat to our playoff hopes is a bit of stretch but it could happen. Their schedule looks like this:

13 - JAX - WIN

14 - TB - LOSS

15 - CHI - WIN

16 - NO -WIN

17- DET -WIN

Luckily, they need to win 4 of their next 5 to get to 9-7. Much harder to do looking at their schedule, for purposes of this post I gave them the win against NO because they seem to own the Saints. The rest is unlikely but doable for a team that is running it like they are. Not nearly as worried about them though.

**Also, one of these teams should take the other out with a win in week 15, so that also plays greatly in our favor.**

​

Why am I worried about a 9-7 team?

The Cardinals would lose a 9-7 tie breaker to either of these teams based on Conference record ties which is the number 1 tiebreaker they would use because we have not played head to head. They then would lose with record against common opponents, which is the second tiebreaker. With us going 9-7, I could not find a way to get either of the tiebreakers to go in our favor, so we need to be a game over the Bears/Vikings to secure a playoff spot.

​

​

Mostly, we just need to win our games. At 6-5, this is our remaining schedule:

13 - LAR - LOSS

14 - NYG -WIN

15 - PHI - WIN

16 - SF -WIN

17 - LAR - LOSS

This would put us at 9-7. Not by any means safe unless the teams behind us lose some games. Realistically, we still control our own destiny and as long as we win 4 of our next 5.

The Hail Murray is looking super critical at this point in time otherwise we would be sitting at 5-6 and the 9 seed.

We are rooting against the Bears and Vikings every week, and against the better team in week 15 as of right now.

Go Cards.
joint injuries are 4-6 timeline.

He is going to have to take a step in the passing game and getting comfortable with his reads as @BritCard broke down

This team is going to leave and die off of Kyler taking the text step as a pocket passer. Especially with him not fully healthy enough to take hits in the run game.

He has the surreal arm talent, can he and coaching ease him through this hard place.

He is going to have to "make" Kirk and Isabella.

They arent capable of winning their match ups 1-1, so he needs to play at an elite level as a passer to help them create.

Rodgers struggled with this at times so I can imagine its hard for Kyler.

TE are mostly non-factors in the pass game.

Only real weapons are Hop and Edmonds. Kliff is going to have to elevate his game tremendously as well.
ac joint injuries are 4-6 timeline.

He is going to have to take a step in the passing game and getting comfortable with his reads as @BritCard broke down

This team is going to leave and die off of Kyler taking the text step as a pocket passer. Especially with him not fully healthy enough to take hits in the run game.

He has the surreal arm talent, can he and coaching ease him through this hard place.

He is going to have to "make" Kirk and Isabella.

They arent capable of winning their match ups 1-1, so he needs to play at an elite level as a passer to help them create.

Rodgers struggled with this at times so I can imagine its hard for Kyler.

TE are mostly non-factors in the pass game.

Only real weapons are Hop and Edmonds. Kliff is going to have to elevate his game tremendously as well.

This is what I fear the most, that he actually won’t be healthy for the remainder of the season.

I think they will have to at least go 3-2 & possibly even 4-1 down the stretch to make the playoffs. And let’s be real, 4-1 doesn’t even feel in the realm of possible watching this team play the last month.

Coaching staff definitely needs to step up and find ways to get Hop the ball.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, this is the best our defense has matched up against their offense. No Whitworth + they don’t have a WR to take the top off like all the other previous matchups.

Yeah, but if we play that soft zone... Copper Kupp is going to kick us in the cup all day long lol

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a little good news.

We aren't in the top 18 this time of year.

According to the NFL, here is the current draft order. It is determined by record, with strength of schedule as the first tiebreaker. The draft order for playoff teams is determined by the results of postseason play, so the teams currently holding playoff spots are not listed.

1. Jets, 0-11
2. Jaguars, 1-10
3. Bengals, 2-8-1
4. Chargers, 3-8
5. Cowboys, 3-8
6. Eagles, 3-7-1
7. Panthers 4-8
8. Washington Football Team, 4-7
9. Lions, 4-7
10. Falcons, 4-7
11. Dolphins (from Texans), Texans 4-7
12. Broncos, 4-7
13. Vikings, 5-6
14. Patriots, 5-6
15. 49ers, 5-6
16. Bears, 5-6
17. Raiders, 6-5
18. Ravens, 6-5

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler Murray limited by shoulder injury in Wednesday’s practice

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray played every snap in Sunday’s loss and insisted he “didn’t adjust anything” because of his shoulder injury.

(It’s obviously just coincidence that he hurt his shoulder in the Seattle game and in that game and last week’s game against the Patriots he tied his season low for carries in a game with five in each contest after double-digit carries in the four games before that.)

But Murray remains on the practice report with a right shoulder injury. He was limited Wednesday after being limited Wednesday and Thursday of last week.

He was 23-of-34 for 170 yards and an interception against the Patriots and ran five times for 31 yards after running five times for 15 yards the previous week against the Seahawks. Murray averaged 12 carries and 77 yards per game in the four games that preceded the loss to Seattle.

Receiver DeAndre Hopkins (not injury related), offensive lineman Justin Pugh (ankle), safety Jalen Thompson (ankle) and safety Charles Washington (groin) did not practice Wednesday.

Defensive lineman Zach Alen (ankle), tight end Dan Arnold (knee), cornerback Johnathan Joseph (ankle/knee), defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence (calf) and linebacker Tanner Vallejo (concussion) were limited.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since McVay has taken over the rams, they’re 6-0 and averaging 32.5 points per game against us. We’ve scored 56 total points in that same time frame. I’ll maintain my optimism like always. It’s a must win and we’re desperate for a W to stay in the playoff race. Their a physical team, so hopefully KK doesn’t try to out physical then and gets back to being a little more creative.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss

Have teams cracked the code on Arizona Cardinals' Kyler Murray?

Murray has been blitzed on 39% of his dropbacks over the past four games, where the Cardinals went 1-3. In the first seven, he was blitzed 17%.

I think that is misleading, teams aren't really blitzing that much they're bringing guys but they're stopping and trying to contain Kyler in the pocket and then jump to impact passing lanes. Every now and then yes we see a real blitz with the intent to get Kyler but mostly they're trying to keep him in the pocket, which they've always done. It's working right now because he has a shoulder problem so he's less willing to run.

I do think KK has to dial up some things, screens etc to counter it, and yes as others said we have to attack the middle more.

We've been waiting all year to unleash Dan Arnold but it's interesting Maxx is playing much more because he's such a good run blocker.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Ain’t that the truth. But can they really pull this off when Kyler is still clearly hurt? I don’t know...I stand by the idea this offense isn’t special without the X factor of Kyler’s legs (which again is so infuriating bc you would think they would be using this weapon more if the shoulder is an issue)

I believe the thinking is do not subject KM to contact of any sort until shoulder heals. One good crunch and it could go from bad to worse.

By now i think everyone knows Kyler Murray is hurt, It may nd up costing the Cardinals the season.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Waiting for all those that normally say PFF sucks to lean hard on this grade.

To be fair Hump has been good since the Panthers game. I say when he sucks so it's only fair I do the same when he's good.

I even gave him a pro bowl vote.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be fair Hump has been good since the Panthers game. I say when he sucks so it's only fair I do the same when he's good.

It’s obvious that he has been good just using your own eyes lol we don’t need to lean on PFF for everything like you.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is misleading, teams aren't really blitzing that much they're bringing guys but they're stopping and trying to contain Kyler in the pocket and then jump to impact passing lanes. [....]

I do think KK has to dial up some things, screens etc to counter it, and yes as others said we have to attack the middle more.
Screens would seem to be exactly the wrong way to handle a defense that's not coming hard after the QB, but staying back in passing lanes and jumping to block passes, no?

...dave

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screens would seem to be exactly the wrong way to handle a defense that's not coming hard after the QB, but staying back in passing lanes and jumping to block passes, no?

...dave

Yeah I guess screen is not the right term but something that puts guys past the LOS but underneath the zone, short crossing patterns I guess.

But yes screen is the wrong name for it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of frustrating we play the Rams so late in back-to-back seasons

like, I’m sure we played them @ home in Week 13 & the season finale on the road last year as well

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of frustrating we play the Rams so late in back-to-back seasons

like, I’m sure we played them @ home in Week 13 & the season finale on the road last year as well
Was our bye that late last year? I thought we played them coming out of it and just got pulverized.

edit: yup... that was week 13. We had just totally blown the Niners and TB games back to back before the bye and then got crushed coming out of it.

maybe that’s why I’m so pessimistic going into Sunday. This feels a little deja vu after a close loss to Seattle and then an atrociously blown game against NE with the Rams on deck.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An injured Kyler having Donald bearing down on him all game is not a recipe for good outcomes. I fear what Donald is gonna do to the interior of the Cards line on Sunday

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

When statistics and film match, that is the idea. Most everyone has seen the development of The Captain. Glad you are catching up. That Garrett Bolles extension though...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose