Random: What was your reaction when...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I relied a lot on the judgement of Jerry Colangelo back in those days. When he was fine trading for Marbury I was good with it as well.

IIRC, there was a question of whether Marbury would be happy in Phoenix.

Colangelo's stamp of approval meant a lot like back then much like later on when he gave his approval on drafting Amare with the 9th pick when other teams were passing on him.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
First, I was pissed we traded Nash away because we thought Kidd was our future (who was a liabiity EVEN back then in the half court). Predictably we didn't win anything with him. Then there's that domestic incident. Then we trade him for the most selfish PG in history. Those 6 years without Nash were not fun (well, except for that ONE Chapman shot).

My reaction? It felt like we were trading garbage and going no where.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was for it. Didnt want a wife beater as the leader of our team and Kidd was a continual letdown in the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was disappointed. I have a soft spot for distributing pg's. Marbury was more of a shoot-first guy and I did not think he was that much of a character improvement over Kidd. But I did not know what was going on behind the scenes either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reaction was excitement because my favorite player was AI at the time and Steph was the closest thing to him. Lol at young me.

Allen Iverson was a very good player so you had good taste even back then.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was livid, as I saw Marbury put up empty stats while holding his team back with selfish play in Minnesota and then New Jersey. I wasn't against trading Kidd in the wake of the domestic violence incident, but when it was basically Kidd straight up for Marbury, I felt the Suns got fleeced. I consider that trade, in the aftermath of the failure of Backcourt 2000, to be the final nail in the coffin of the Jerry Colangelo area for the Suns.

Colangelo seemed to be putting all his effort into the Diamondbacks at the time, at the expense of the Suns. I once again had hope with what I felt was a genius draft pick in Amare Stoudemire, only for Colangelo then to sell the team to Sarver...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was livid, as I saw Marbury put up empty stats while holding his team back with selfish play in Minnesota and then New Jersey. I wasn't against trading Kidd in the wake of the domestic violence incident, but when it was basically Kidd straight up for Marbury, I felt the Suns got fleeced. I consider that trade, in the aftermath of the failure of Backcourt 2000, to be the final nail in the coffin of the Jerry Colangelo area for the Suns.

Colangelo seemed to be putting all his effort into the Diamondbacks at the time, at the expense of the Suns. I once again had hope with what I felt was a genius draft pick in Amare Stoudemire, only for Colangelo then to sell the team to Sarver...

Until Jerry Colangelo sold the team he always bounced back after making a bad trade or move. This is what has separated Colangelo and Sarver.

Also Colangelo was very skilled in reading and communicating with players except perhaps for Charles Barkley. Of course Barkley was a very unique personality.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had soured completely on Kidd but I was not happy to get Marbury, he was one of my least favorite players in the league at the time.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Allen Iverson was a very good player so you had good taste even back then.

I loved those guys as a kid but analytics would hate them today. Also they kinda brought in the hip hop culture to the NBA which I digged at the time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I loved those guys as a kid but analytics would hate them today. Also they kinda brought in the hip hop culture to the NBA which I digged at the time.

Recently watched a documentary on Iverson. Really good.

I was attending Georgetown law during his frosh year. My girlfriend was a gtown undergrad. So we had season tickets to the games. The first iverson game was one of those warm up games against a lesser talent. It was played at gtown’s small on campus gym (think a high school gym). Everyone knew it was to be Iverson’s first game so it was packed. In the first half this dude was lighting it up so I assumed he was iverson. But he was big so I was confused. It ended up being Jerome Williams (junkyard dog). He had 12 points. Iverson actually hadn’t played in the first half. He started the second half and I believe he put up 28 points in the half. I was stunned watching him. Being a huge KJ fan I knew quick. Apparently I was wrong. I didn’t know quick until I saw Iverson. His speed and athleticism was full on shocking to witness in person that up close and personal. Particularly in comparison to collegians. He was also a really nice kid. Got to meet him as my girlfriend’s best friend was dating the lone white guy - a 6’11 euro - on the team and he was roommates with othella harrington so players were always hanging out in their dorm those kids were tough as nails on the court but really nice off the court. The single season that Iverson played alongside victor page in the backcourt was the most entertaining team I e ever watched as the two of them flew up and down the court.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Recently watched a documentary on Iverson. Really good.

I was attending Georgetown law during his frosh year. My girlfriend was a gtown undergrad. So we had season tickets to the games. The first iverson game was one of those warm up games against a lesser talent. It was played at gtown’s small on campus gym (think a high school gym). Everyone knew it was to be Iverson’s first game so it was packed. In the first half this dude was lighting it up so I assumed he was iverson. But he was big so I was confused. It ended up being Jerome Williams (junkyard dog). He had 12 points. Iverson actually hadn’t played in the first half. He started the second half and I believe he put up 28 points in the half. I was stunned watching him. Being a huge KJ fan I knew quick. Apparently I was wrong. I didn’t know quick until I saw Iverson. His speed and athleticism was full on shocking to witness in person that up close and personal. Particularly in comparison to collegians. He was also a really nice kid. Got to meet him as my girlfriend’s best friend was dating the lone white guy - a 6’11 euro - on the team and he was roommates with othella harrington so players were always hanging out in their dorm those kids were tough as nails on the court but really nice off the court. The single season that Iverson played alongside victor page in the backcourt was the most entertaining team I e ever watched as the two of them flew up and down the court.

Crazy timing with that story cause I listened to this last night. Start at 3:15.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Crazy timing with that story cause I listened to this last night. Start at 3:15.

Yeah adande is right. If anything my story maybe undersold my experience. The funny thing is that I remember hearing about iverson in Kenner league too. But we couldn’t believe this dude was tearing up pros and collegians.

the one bummer side story of iversons burst on the scene was what happened to othella Harrington. If you recall those years were the March of John Thompson’s centers. Ewing, mutumbo, mourning. O was supposed to be next. And he was good, but not as good as those guys. But it was supposed to be his time. And he became obsolete when iverson arrived. He couldn’t keep pace with iverson. Always felt bad for O.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved it. Kidd was good but he was also super limited and we were always going to be a 50 win team with no realistic shot at a championship with Kidd

I loved Marbury on the Suns and he was good here. That year and that playoff series against the Spurs was so much fun and it was so exciting a really young Amare and Marion.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was for it. Didnt want a wife beater as the leader of our team and Kidd was a continual letdown in the playoffs.

Pretty much how I felt. Those Kidd led teams were never a threat to do anything in the playoffs and he was just a garbage person.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was throwing in the towel, basically. A team led by.Marbury might be flashier because he was a lot of fun to watch in his prime but they became even more of an entertainment entity than competitive sport franchise.

I knew Kidd had to go but it was so obvious they should have waited. I think the Marbury deal was the best of the bunch and they didn't care to wait, accepting 70 cents on the dollar.

They didn't commit enough either. They should have gone farther rather just replacing Kidd. I know they added Joe Johnson late in the year but they should have looked for more moves like that sooner.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really can't remember. I had no love for Kidd after the french fry incident, but I didn't have much of a read on Marbury.

Once Marbury was on the Suns, he became a bit of a whipping boy on this board. He's in the top 20 all-time for assists per game -- ahead of Mark Price, Gary Payton, and Maurice Cheeks -- and averaged nearly 11 per game with the Suns, but still got tagged with a "selfish" label.

Fun fact that I just looked up: One of the draft picks that the Suns acquired when they traded Marbury to the Knicks turned out to be Gordon Hayward.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was throwing in the towel, basically. A team led by.Marbury might be flashier because he was a lot of fun to watch in his prime but they became even more of an entertainment entity than competitive sport franchise.

I knew Kidd had to go but it was so obvious they should have waited. I think the Marbury deal was the best of the bunch and they didn't care to wait, accepting 70 cents on the dollar.

They didn't commit enough either. They should have gone farther rather just replacing Kidd. I know they added Joe Johnson late in the year but they should have looked for more moves like that sooner.

Adding Joe Johnson to Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudamire wasn’t enough?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fun fact that I just looked up: One of the draft picks that the Suns acquired when they traded Marbury to the Knicks turned out to be Gordon Hayward.

Courtesy of the Gugliotta salary dump.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The same way i felt when the Suns traded Rubio and Oubre for Chris Paul. Ill believe it when i see it. Im happy to be proven wrong.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the reactions of being over Kidd, I was too, that was a public relations nightmare.

But man... I just didn't see Marbury as an answer. He already had a toxic reputation, he played a brand of basketball that I couldn't stand and he was clearly a vastly inferior player. I didn't see any way we'd be a better team via that trade.

It was during an era where the Suns were always in the playoffs, so trading a star for picks would have been a baffling concept, but it would have been the way to go.

In the end it led us to the Marbury/Hardaway Knicks trade, which is one of the more brilliant trades of all time, something that it is hard to fathom now, so in the end it all worked out, but still... I did not enjoy the Marbury era.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same way i felt when the Suns traded Rubio and Oubre for Chris Paul. Ill believe it when i see it. Im happy to be proven wrong.

My only reservation about Chris Paul is his injury history. The guy is a bona-fide super star who pumps out 50 win seasons like clock work. Marbury never sniffed Paul's heights.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I get the reactions of being over Kidd, I was too, that was a public relations nightmare.

But man... I just didn't see Marbury as an answer. He already had a toxic reputation, he played a brand of basketball that I couldn't stand and he was clearly a vastly inferior player. I didn't see any way we'd be a better team via that trade.

It was during an era where the Suns were always in the playoffs, so trading a star for picks would have been a baffling concept, but it would have been the way to go.

In the end it led us to the Marbury/Hardaway Knicks trade, which is one of the more brilliant trades of all time, something that it is hard to fathom now, so in the end it all worked out, but still... I did not enjoy the Marbury era.
I liked the Marbury era simply because it was the start of the Amare train. Can’t forget the famous shot of Marbury reacting to one of Amares early dunks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was ok with it. I was never really a Kidd fan. I don't like his personality, and I didn't like his inability to shoot.