Kingsbury, The World’s Only 17 Point Offensive Genius

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the things I noticed and maybe this is just belichick being so good at what he does but outside of the jetsweep to Andy when we tried to be "clever" they were there. And even that jetsweep was just a good block, they had guys there but we got a good block and Andy cut up when he had to.

IN particular there was a play where Maxx lined up at FB, Kyler started like he was going left and then did a spin back rolled out right. It was clear what that play was, get them going left then reverse, Maxx released to the right supposed to either be wide open or if covered, the lead blocker for Kyler. the problem is they had a guy covering Maxx and another sitting right there. They either from formation or something had a tell because they knew that play was coming, the announcer said it immediately really well defended by NE took away the entire play.
This is a good take but....

Too often those plays don't work and what's worse, many of Kliff's plays seem to lack more options, on that play because of the design if it's not there, there's not much to do, Kyler either runs it or holds the ball. I don't remember the outcome I think he just threw the ball away.
Actually, there WAS another option, and Murray completed the pass to a different receiver for a decent gain. But the announcer did point out that the play seemed to be designed for a throw back to Williams or a run behind Williams, and the Patriots had it covered. Bellichick teams are super disciplined on D.

...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is it , plus more. The offensive design is bad and it comes down to Kyler being superman for us to win.

I'll add another one - the lack of under-center snaps is a huge detriment to the offense.
When your QB struggles with pocket mechanics and consistently throwing the ball...I don't know how you design a good offense. Imagine Brady having to win with their legs...that is a close analogy to what it is like to design an offense with how Kyler is throwing the ball right now and not wanting to run.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good take but....

Actually, there WAS another option, and Murray completed the pass to a different receiver for a decent gain. But the announcer did point out that the play seemed to be designed for a throw back to Williams or a run behind Williams, and the Patriots had it covered. Bellichick teams are super disciplined on D.

...dave

Thanks I couldn't remember the conclusion so I guess I remembered it wrong. Kyler did well then the initial reaction looked like oh crap they figured this play out.

We ran a very similar play last year and Maxx dropped it, was wide open too that time

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An aside because I missed this yesterday. The Cards only had 4 Wr's active yesterday, Hopkins, Kirk, Isabella and Johnson. So the reason for all the multi TE sets and the sets with Chase split out wide were in part we only had 4 Wr's.

In fact Baylis was the #3 TE yesterday with Daniels on IR, so Arnold and Chase were both at times being used as WR's.

Very clear the plan was to run the ball and protect Kyler. They had it too up 10-0 if not for the big KO return flipping the game I suspect we might have been able to play from ahead. Such a bad play too one guy fell down or got blocked down and then 2 guys missed tackles giving him an extra 25 or 30 yards.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve warned this was coming all year. Kingsbury is a fraud. The only thing he’s really done for the Cards is championing drafting Murray. The Cards only have a run game because of Murray. There is nothing creative about receiver routes and except for Hop the others are rarely, clearly open. KK can’t manage the clock. He doesn’t have a 2 minute drill. He’s installed no hot reads to combat blitzes. He can’t get the Cards ready to start games. He can’t manage enough discipline to keep penalties in control. Some of these are KK’s fault directly due to very late substitution. There are 2 many timeouts caused by confusion. They seem especially confused against zone defenses.

KK elects to be highly aggressive one series, then very conservative the next. Successful plays from one game disappear in the next, for example rollout, pull-up passes. When they worked they were not part of future game plans. Inside the same game he fails to repeat plays the opponent failed to stop, especially passing plays. Remember how other teams constantly targeted Dre.

Yes the Cards are up in scoring but so is the league. However, Murray has another year of experience and Hopkins has been added. I think Murray should actually be further along technique-wise in his development.

Not only don’t I see very many unique plays, I seldom see plays used often in the league because they are successful, like an under center QB sneak.

Once again the Cards have made a huge error in selecting a coach. To me the bottom line is if you take away exceptional effort plays by Murray, what has KK accomplished?

Yawn.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want to like this 3000. Mediocrity with some tantalizing hope is almost worse than being outright bad.

Does anyone have real confidence about our upcoming games?
I believe we beat the Giants & Eagles, that's 8 wins which could get us in but I'd rather have 9 or 10. Where our 9th & 10 win would come from between 2 against the Rams & 1 more against the 49ers is a toss up really. Do we lose all 3 of those games? I think we win at least 1 but with the bad clock management & a horrible kicker we could lose all 3.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Drake absolutely scores if he jumps. Not only that, at least if you jump the replay will show exactly where the ball is, instead of the usual goal line replay where you can’t see the ball due to the mass of humanity.

Emmitt Smith used to jump over the pile all the time in his younger days. I saw Wayne Gallman of the Giants jump over the pile a few weeks ago. Seems to be a bit of a lost art.
I mentioned this very thing a few pages back. He jumps, he scores. Instead the guy had the hole plugged & he takes him on straight up & lost.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I’ve warned this was coming all year. Kingsbury is a fraud. The only thing he’s really done for the Cards is championing drafting Murray. The Cards only have a run game because of Murray. There is nothing creative about receiver routes and except for Hop the others are rarely, clearly open. KK can’t manage the clock. He doesn’t have a 2 minute drill. He’s installed no hot reads to combat blitzes. He can’t get the Cards ready to start games. He can’t manage enough discipline to keep penalties in control. Some of these are KK’s fault directly due to very late substitution. There are 2 many timeouts caused by confusion. They seem especially confused against zone defenses.

KK elects to be highly aggressive one series, then very conservative the next. Successful plays from one game disappear in the next, for example rollout, pull-up passes. When they worked they were not part of future game plans. Inside the same game he fails to repeat plays the opponent failed to stop, especially passing plays. Remember how other teams constantly targeted Dre.

Yes the Cards are up in scoring but so is the league. However, Murray has another year of experience and Hopkins has been added. I think Murray should actually be further along technique-wise in his development.

Not only don’t I see very many unique plays, I seldom see plays used often in the league because they are successful, like an under center QB sneak.

Once again the Cards have made a huge error in selecting a coach. To me the bottom line is if you take away exceptional effort plays by Murray, what has KK accomplished?
BB can do it to you.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m sorry but this is just a poor analysis. When do the players become accountable for not executing? Murray, Kirk, Gonzalez, Simmons, Sweezy all cost us the game in one way or another

Players are always accountable but this coaches late game decisions are awful. Whether your talking about play calling , clock management, or not getting plays in quick enough. How about this high powered 3 yd out horizontal offense. KK is a joke and the proof will be in the following weeks. Under your synopsis a coach can’t be accountable unless every player is perfect. KK is a reason for these bad loses and the only thing that can be agreed on is that he is not the only reason.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m sorry but this is just a poor analysis. When do the players become accountable for not executing? Murray, Kirk, Gonzalez, Simmons, Sweezy all cost us the game in one way or another

Kliff is indefensible

The only people defending kliff as this point are his mother and grandmother

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What? You have Murray and Hopkins on offense...what they are doing with the talent level is actually shocking. Drake is good but the system makes him better. Kliff certainly has some issues with game management but clearly not a mistake hire.

#2 in the NFL in yards/game
#8 in pts/game

17pt offensive genius huh?

You must be registered for see images attach

So your saying KK is a good Offensive coordinator but an awful head coach? A team with these offensive stats should not be losing right?
Fire KK as a head coach!

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m just happy keyboard genius Harry has nothing to do with the Cardinals... there’s probably a reason you’re no longer an “NFL scout” and currently a “Senior Writer” on a freaking fan forum

#1 pick after a 3 win season....

fast forward 2 years and we are a playoff team. Who cares what Harry says. I haven’t seen a decent take the whole time I’ve been here.

“Budda sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kyler sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kliff can’t call plays”.... reality: #1 offense
“Kliff is a fraud” .... reality: turned us into a playoff team in 1.5 years
Reality: we are not a playoff team yet and headed in the wrong direction. Your vision or wishes does not equal fact or reality!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dunno

i keep reading people who watch all-22 film and note the K1 is missing plays in the passing game that are there

like Seattle, this was a game where he often looked confused -- happy feet, patting the ball, etc.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i dunno

i keep reading people who watch all-22 film and note the K1 is missing plays in the passing game that are there

like Seattle, this was a game where he often looked confused -- happy feet, patting the ball, etc.

Provide links

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
All I can say is I have seen worse play calling in other games. He may not be the best, but he's far from the worst. After two years in the league I would say he worked his way up to average with some of the horribly called games I have watched outside Cards games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA