Is it time to sit KM?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Unless he is truly injured, he is the best chance the Cards have to win. Depite several flaws in his game, KM's talent alone makes defenses have to play differently. Should we carry 3 QBs for this game? Absolutely. The Rams have a deep history of hurting our QBs and the team must account for that.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
The shoulder is obviously giving him some problems but they’re not going to sit him unless it gets worse.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol wow overreacting much, KM is this franchise now period. Fitz is likely gone and KM is the face. If we had a good coach we are 2-3 wins better right now, this team has talent but an inexperienced HC that doesn’t know how to run an NFL team!

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
These posts are so ridiculous

The situation under discussion included the need to evaluate KM's shoulder injury. If it is limiting his play and subject to further injury, do we sit him OR do we still start him and hope for the best---why is that a ridiculous question??

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt his shoulder is limiting his play to be as bad as our backups would be. thats the issue.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One thing I commented on in the game thread yesterday and I think this is more of a coaching thing. We completely changed who we are yesterday in that we were NOT running hurry up at all. We were routinely snapping the ball 5 seconds or less on the clock. I think Kliff wanted to run the ball and protect Kyler. So we played more 2 TE, Andy played 55% of the snaps but Maxx got 72% and Arnold 36% so almost half the snaps appeared to be with 2 TE's. We also played an extra OL fairly often on the short yardage plays.

The game plan was get the lead, we did, and then shorten the game.

The problem became not scoring at the end of the half and then losing the lead, we never got any momentum, and Kliff never really went back to speeding up. I'm used to seeing defense exhausted against us, really didn't see any of that.

I think Kliff had a gameplan and stuck to it, even when some things needed to change, like the zone reads where clearly Kyler was not going to keep the ball so why run a zone read?

And it was a completely stupid, chickenbleep gameplan! That's exactly what KK wanted to do, and that's why I want him gone. If you're so scared that you're going to make KM not KM and run a Pop Warner style offense, just change the damn QB instead.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt his shoulder is limiting his play to be as bad as our backups would be. thats the issue.

Steveler has 1 pass in the NFL. He did have success in Canada. Played 35 games in two seasons (2018-19) with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League where he threw for 2,698 yards and 19 TDs and ran for 1,167 yards and 22 TDs. Completed 156-of-234 passes for 1,564 yards and eight TDs, adding 127 carries for 726 yards and 12 TDs for the Grey Cup champions in 2019. His combo of running/passing is a poor man's version of KM.

Brett Hundley has thrown 11 passes since 2018. He did take over for Rogers with the Packers in 2017 and played in 11 games so he does have some game experience.

In the Pats game, KM had a -2 yards rushing and was 14 for 21 for 131 yards. His longest pass was 19 yard Jet Sweep to open the game.

Can one of our backups beat the KM stat line for the Pats game---they better. If our backups can't beat those numbers, well, put me in coach---I can throw the ball over those damn mountains---we would have won state if K2 only put me in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it was a completely stupid, chickenbleep gameplan! That's exactly what KK wanted to do, and that's why I want him gone. If you're so scared that you're going to make KM not KM and run a Pop Warner style offense, just change the damn QB instead.

I think he wanted to protect Kyler and figured shorten the game less plays, less chance he takes a hit, but you can't coach that way against a guy like Belichick he's going to figure out you are afraid to run him and defend to exploit that

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he wanted to protect Kyler and figured shorten the game less plays, less chance he takes a hit, but you can't coach that way against a guy like Belichick he's going to figure out you are afraid to run him and defend to exploit that

Belicheat got the message by the start of the 2nd half. You could see the D slowly stop worrying about the KM runs and instead go after him in the pocket.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belicheat got the message by the start of the 2nd half. You could see the D slowly stop worrying about the KM runs and instead go after him in the pocket.

as LIAC mentioned the real concern is the Rams. They have a history of taking out QB's you just know they're going to take some shots at Kyler especially after the last game and a half of him clearly protecting the shoulder.

The Rams are the team we match up the worst with in our division IMO so it really sucks we now have a absolute must win against them next week but it is what it is

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Cards are 8-1 (at least that's what was announced on Sunday) when KM runs for 30+ yards...that tells me he doesn't need to be all world at running the ball...just keep the defense honest.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Steveler has 1 pass in the NFL. He did have success in Canada.

I don't think K1 likes it but Streveler should be back in there on some short yardage situations. There have been several where I believe Streveler would have converted them (and we didn't).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think K1 likes it but Streveler should be back in there on some short yardage situations. There have been several where I believe Streveler would have converted them (and we didn't).

another thing I missed, the cards were saying there was a legit chance Streveler not Murray started yesterday. That decision wasn't really made until Friday when Kyler had a full practice. In fact they said Streveler took lots of extra reps during the week and Belichick said they actually watched film of him playing in Canada because it was the only real way to scout him. He's taken 3 snaps and had 1 run for us, against SF in the opener.

Interesting I don't know if that was gamesmanship or not but would also explain Kyler not playing better. I knew he had limited practice earlier in the week my fantasy updates said so since hes' on my team, but I had no idea it was actually possible he wouldn't play.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. If we score before the half from the dang 6 inch line. Kirk drops a pass and Drake scored. And then add the missed 45 basic FG. And we scored 27!!! The football Gods didn’t want us to win. Everything that could happen did. Kyler gets 1 more yard on 3rd down. Kliff calling the dumb timeout on 3rd down with 50 seconds left. Goto overtime!! The Patriots couldn’t move the ball. Simmons gets unlucky on the penalty at the end. We missed an easy fg. And we can’t score from the 6 inch line. And we lost on the last play. But anything normal happens. We score 27!! Let’s not act like we struggled to get 17.

And yet...

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards are 8-1 (at least that's what was announced on Sunday) when KM runs for 30+ yards...that tells me he doesn't need to be all world at running the ball...just keep the defense honest.

Ron---I think you may have misunderstood that stat. Either that or I missed it.

I believe the stat of relevance is that the Cards are 1-8-1 when KM runs for under thirty yards. Guess we need to look up all the games that the Cards won. I wouldn't be surprised if when the Cards win, KM runs for more than 30 yards.

We were 5-10-1 in 2019 and 6-5 in 2020. There are some games in there over 30 yards that we lost??

"The season-low in rushing yards for Murray moved Arizona to 1-8-1 when he’s held under 30 yards and 0-5-1 when he’s ran for fewer than 20 since his NFL debut last year."

Seahawks find traction stopping Kyler Murray-led Cardinals rushing attack (arizonasports.com)

Research staff putting together the talking points for the commentors will seek out this stuff and have it on cue cards for their use---so they sound like they know what the hell is going on.

Anyone else hear the stat Ron is talking about?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Is it time to sit KM with the Rams game coming up?

We need a true evaluation of KM’s shoulder. If he is injured to the point that he can no longer break the pocket and run for necessary yardage, it may be time to sit him. KM’s game is in his runs more so than his passing.

Our offensive playcalling has really shrunk the field to accommodate KM’s shoulder issue. Once the D figures that we are playing the edges for 5-to-10 yard passes with an occasional run—that 17 points we put up against the Pats is going to look better-and-better.

We’ve been playing teams with terrible-to-average D’s. And have been losing. We get the Rams with the #1 D (close with the Saints) I fear KM getting manhandled and intercepted should we march him out there when he is playing injured and either can’t or won’t run past the LOS.

KM is at risk for further injury and the Cards will see their playoffs hope get flushed down the toilet.
Will starting one of our back-up QBs give us a better chance vs the Rams?

Come on, they are not a true playoff team but everything points to them being one next season if the front office acts accordingly. No, one does not sit Kyler for a injury which most QBs who are vets would play through... the boy is a man now in a brutal pro sport, you have to take the kid gloves off and I think Kyler supports that fully

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He locks on to his first read, and routinely throws into double coverage. That's on him.
There is that, lack of anticipation is a really big one imo. This year is better but a lot of the leg work is because he's late on his throws. This is an issue with him and/or kliff.