Suns sign Jonathan Motley

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like a training camp signing but Motley has a chance to make the team.

From Arizona Sports:

Yahoo! Sports’ Keith Smith reported that Motley’s deal is a training camp contract, but from a numbers perspective the three-time All-G League forward could have a chance to make Phoenix’s roster for the 2020-21 season.

For the Agua Caliente Clippers last year, the 25-year-old Motley averaged 24.0 points on 51.7% shooting.

The 6-foot-8, 230-pound big man grabbed 8.1 rebounds, adding 3.2 assists and 1.0 blocks in 26 games last year.

https://arizonasports.com/story/246...nathan-motley-make-3-other-signings-official/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some G-League highlights.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought he’d develop into a player. Still could but just seems to be missing something.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lack of a quick first step/explosion/quickness, and maybe jumping ability.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motley has a 7’3.5’’ wingspan and a 9'3" standing reach. Besides power forward he could likely play some backup center. I'd like more depth at the 4/5.

This is from NBADraftNet:

Strengths:
An extremely long, rangy big man with a versatile offensive game, Johnathan Motley has made the most of the opportunity as Baylor’s top dog after Taurean Prince has made the transition to the NBA. Measuring 6’9’’ in shoes, Motley sports a massive 7’3.5’’ wingspan and a 9’3’’ standing reach, which are both elite measurements for a power forward. He’s filled out nicely over the yeas as well, and weighs in at a strong 232 pounds (up about 30 lbs since his high school days). Motley also possesses great end to end speed, and the ability to really get out on the break. Athletically, he’s a quick leaper as well, who can get off the ground nicely. Johnathan has also been able to transition into a number one option at the collegiate level (16.3 ppg). He’s done so by using a solid mid range game (42.5% on jump shots according to Hoop-Math.com) as well as the ability to post up on the block and use a nice hook over either shoulder. Motley’s has a high release on his jumper, and good touch, even on fade aways and turn arounds.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/johnathan-motley/

Also here is some information from Tankathon.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/johnathan-motley

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like an improved version of Diallo.

I wouldn't mind this guy being on the end of the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an improved version of Diallo.

I wouldn't mind this guy being on the end of the bench.

Or an improved version of Tariq Owens if he is signed to a two-way contract.

I do like the idea of another big man on the end of the bench unless the Suns feel a need for a point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or an improved version of Tariq Owens if he is signed to a two-way contract.

I do like the idea of another big man on the end of the bench unless the Suns feel a need for a point guard.

The only potential better options out there for spot #15, in my opinion, are Dwayne Dedmon, Shabazz Napier and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any word on which G-league team we will have as an affiliate once NAZ moves? The Clippers make the most sense geographically and I couldn't stomach sharing with the Lakers.

Also, I didn't realize that Detroit already had an affiliate in Grand Rapids, the Drive. I gather they wouldn't move to Detroit so that affiliation is ending as they take over and move the NAZ Suns to the Detroit area.

I wonder if Grand Rapids is going to move and or get a new affiliation with another team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any word on which G-league team we will have as an affiliate once NAZ moves? The Clippers make the most sense geographically and I couldn't stomach sharing with the Lakers.

Also, I didn't realize that Detroit already had an affiliate in Grand Rapids, the Drive. I gather they wouldn't move to Detroit so that affiliation is ending as they take over and move the NAZ Suns to the Detroit area.

I wonder if Grand Rapids is going to move and or get a new affiliation with another team.

I found the likely answer.

The Blazers and Nuggets currently take advantage of the G League’s flexible assignment system, which allows independent NBA teams to assign players to the G League for development or injury rehabilitation. This system tasks the G League with identifying teams willing to accept the assigned player. The independent team then chooses a destination from the pool of teams that volunteered.

The downside to this system is that the Blazers and Nuggets have no control over how the G League team utilizes that player. There’s no guarantee that the player will receive playing time. Additionally, G League teams typically run the same offensive and defensive schemes as their parent franchise. When a player is assigned to a different franchise's G League team, they’re playing within that team’s system instead of their own.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...-rapids-drive-g-league-whats-next/5555671002/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed when I saw Dedmon. Arguably he's an NBA veteran, but I am guessing the Suns didn't even look at him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only potential better options out there for spot #15, in my opinion, are Dwayne Dedmon, Shabazz Napier and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

I sorta wanted Dwayne Dedmond as another backup center for Ayton but he probably wants more than the minimum.

A point guard makes since as well but I never really followed Napier much. I wonder if Reggie Jackson is still out there.

Hollis-Jefferson would seem similar to Jae Crowder.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I sorta wanted Dwayne Dedmond as another backup center for Ayton but he probably wants more than the minimum.

A point guard makes since as well but I never really followed Napier much. I wonder if Reggie Jackson is still out there.

Hollis-Jefferson would seem similar to Jae Crowder.

Jackson is out there, but he has a reputation as a chemistry killer, and he almost certainly won't sign for the minimum. I think you're right about Dedmon, and I don't think he's good enough to use up our BAE.

Hollis-Jefferson would give us a versatile defender who could be a nice rebounding slasher to play with Saric, Cam and Moore/Galloway off the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson is out there, but he has a reputation as a chemistry killer, and he almost certainly won't sign for the minimum. I think you're right about Dedmon, and I don't think he's good enough to use up our BAE.

Hollis-Jefferson would give us a versatile defender who could be a nice rebounding slasher to play with Saric, Cam and Moore/Galloway off the bench.

If the Suns can sign a player for the minimum that can play a few minutes if needed, there is not much downside. They can always be waived later on if needed.

I've always heard this about Jackson but never seen anything to corroborate it.

Like you, I would like to protect the BAE if a significant player is waived later on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have let Motley go as he was on a non-guaranteed deal. I wouldn't mind resigning him on a Two-Way deal but I would guess he'd like to see if he can catch on elsewhere on an NBA contract first. He's played on Two-Way deals the last 3 years and is apparently a 3 time G-League 2nd team player, which is something but at 25 it's probably all he'll be. I liked him more than Jones in the 3 games I saw this preseason, the first 3. Even though I liked him more than Jones doesn't mean I think he's ready to be Ayton's primary backup at Center.

I think the Suns need to find someone better than Jones, or Motley, to do that. I know Saric will play there a bit but we saw against Utah and LA how much we'll need size when Ayton is out. I'm more concerned with Ayton being injured for an extended period than Paul because I think we can cover for Paul for 10-15 games but don't think we have the personnel to do that for Ayton at Center.

Link to article about Motley being waived. It mentions the Suns having 12 players on guaranteed deals and 2 with non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed deals right now, with 1 two-way contract also used. The 2 non and partially guaranteed deals belong to Payne and Damian Jones. I didn't know Jones' deal wasn't fully guaranteed and wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we can upgrade at Center. I think Dedmon is out there still and with Motley waived the Suns have room to sign him now but they could also cut Jones and sign someone else since Dedmon has proven to be a much better NBA player than Jones, who doesn't look like he's ready to be a primary backup or a rotation player right now.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/12/suns-release-johnathan-motley.html

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns have let Motley go as he was on a non-guaranteed deal. I wouldn't mind resigning him on a Two-Way deal but I would guess he'd like to see if he can catch on elsewhere on an NBA contract first. He's played on Two-Way deals the last 3 years and is apparently a 3 time G-League 2nd team player, which is something but at 25 it's probably all he'll be. I liked him more than Jones in the 3 games I saw this preseason, the first 3. Even though I liked him more than Jones doesn't mean I think he's ready to be Ayton's primary backup at Center.

I think the Suns need to find someone better than Jones, or Motley, to do that. I know Saric will play there a bit but we saw against Utah and LA how much we'll need size when Ayton is out. I'm more concerned with Ayton being injured for an extended period than Paul because I think we can cover for Paul for 10-15 games but don't think we have the personnel to do that for Ayton at Center.

Link to article about Motley being waived. It mentions the Suns having 12 players on guaranteed deals and 2 with non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed deals right now, with 1 two-way contract also used. The 2 non and partially guaranteed deals belong to Payne and Damian Jones. I didn't know Jones' deal wasn't fully guaranteed and wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we can upgrade at Center. I think Dedmon is out there still and with Motley waived the Suns have room to sign him now but they could also cut Jones and sign someone else since Dedmon has proven to be a much better NBA player than Jones, who doesn't look like he's ready to be a primary backup or a rotation player right now.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/12/suns-release-johnathan-motley.html

I see a bunch of players being waived league wide. It will be interesting to see who we pick up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA