Cardinals at Patriots gameday thread 11-29-20

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This might be wishful thinking on my part but it's seemed like we are trying to keep a few things up the sleeve

Deep passes
Targeting Hopkins a high percentage of times
More designed running plays for the QB

There are games where we've seemingly deliberately ignored this stuff.

Get to the playoffs... then unleash!

[/blind optimism]

Gotta make em first of course
Lol.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we threw the ball downfield ONCE today. How do keep a defense from playing up and limiting short passes if you never threaten deep?

100% this. I just don’t understand why no long throws early in the game. It’s frustrating that we don’t take 2-3 deep shots a game, at least 2 per half. No defense is afraid of this cause we rather go sideways.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It’s a one read offense and meant to get the ball out quickly. Kyler throws a beautiful deep ball, but at this point I don’t know if it’s the playcalling or the QB. I see Nuke with 5 yard stops, Kirk with 7 yard outs, AI stand in the flat, and Fitz covers the middle more often then not though.
It is not a one read offense. It does always have a quick pass element built in to the play. There are vertical elements also built in but you have to be a progression thrower to get to them and I don't believe Kyler is there yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly I think I can count on my hands the number of plays I’ve seen to Hop that weren’t 5-10 yard outs. It’s embarrassing.
Consider that teams are playing us to prevent the vertical chunk plays. The game plan vs Kyler is that he is not polished enough to kill you underneath like Brees, Russ..etc.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When watching the game it felt like we were 2 TDs better than the Pats but then dumb poo here and there we end up losing. Same song.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is not a one read offense. It does always have a quick pass element built in to the play. There are vertical elements also built in but you have to be a progression thrower to get to them and I don't believe Kyler is there yet.
The quick element is being taken away and Kyler stands back there scanning the entire field for what seems like 5 seconds. He scans the field when the first option isn’t there, which is almost always a 5 yard route. That’s why defenses get their hands up almost as soon as Kyler gets his hands on the ball. We don’t run near as many WR screens, but we don’t run deep routes either. Last year it was the protection? and this year it is the ??? I don’t watch the all-22 to know how many times Nuke runs a route for more than 10 yards, but when watching the game live, I find myself furious watching Nuke never leaving my TV screen on multiple passing plays in a row

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Consider that teams are playing us to prevent the vertical chunk plays. The game plan vs Kyler is that he is not polished enough to kill you underneath like Brees, Russ..etc.
That wouldn’t preclude quick slants or crossing patterns. I see little of those. There’s very little visual variety in hops route tree from the naked eye.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
When you are up by three, six inches from a touchdown, and have the ball coming out of halftime, you go for it 10-10 times .
Your words of “When...halftime” is exactly why you kick it 10-10 times!!!

And your not even mentioning you’re playing a team that has a poor offense, a struggling QB & a NE team that is having problems scoring points. End of story.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes because when I throw interceptions, I have a smile on my face & jump with full of joy.

You completely missed the point. Way to make a strawman. Nobody is saying jump for joy. :rolleyes: Great leaders go back out there, get pissed or try to light a fire under the team. He showed ZERO. He was shown multiple times on the sideline pouting. He is the freaking leader of this team. Act like it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't know if people do the same thing I do, on the 4th down going into half, I would have kicked the FG. So in my mind, the rest of the game, i mentally add 3 to our score. SO in my scenario, if things played out the same, the Pats kick a FG for the tie, not the win. We would have gone to OT. That's the biggest thing I would have done differently. I would have taken the 3 knowing we get the ball back on the other side of the half with a chance to add another 7 points!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You completely missed the point. Way to make a strawman. Nobody is saying jump for joy. :rolleyes: Great leaders go back out there, get pissed or try to light a fire under the team. He showed ZERO. He was shown multiple times on the sideline pouting. He is the freaking leader of this team. Act like it.
Eh, different guys are different types of leaders. He pretty routinely goes and sits down. Difficult to know what’s going on his head. Maybe he’s mentally reviewing what he just went through. Also, he’s usually running or scrambling a lot. Maybe he needs to just go and sit to conserve energy. I’d be willing to bet that he expends close to, if not the, highest amount of energy by any QB each week.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, different guys are different types of leaders. He pretty routinely goes and sits down. Difficult to know what’s going on his head. Maybe he’s mentally reviewing what he just went through. Also, he’s usually running or scrambling a lot. Maybe he needs to just go and sit to conserve energy. I’d be willing to bet that he expends close to, if not the, highest amount of energy by any QB each week.

That might be but can you name one HOF QB who doesn't talk to this team and try to light a fire on his team. People look to their leaders. I am not claiming it would have changed anything but I would love to see some fire out of him during these scenarios.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Murray had 23 completions... for a whopping 160 yards!
Yes, there is ugliness smeared all over this picture!

Play-calling by KK and his horizontal game yields losses over and over again.
At the end of this season the conversation for his job will begin. 1-5 the rest of the way and no playoffs. Finally it will be discovered the offensive genius is a fraud and he simply has had playmakers around him. At the end of every loss we have scratched our heads at his late game decisions. Ok, now our heads are starting to bleed. At the end of the season we will feel the pain.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly I think I can count on my hands the number of plays I’ve seen to Hop that weren’t 5-10 yard outs. It’s embarrassing.
Gilmore, one of the best CBs in the league, was playing Hopkins 7 yards off the ball with S help over the top. They were playing to take the vertical Hopkins throw away. You can argue that they didn't target Kirk vertically or Isabella vertically, but the Hopkins deep threat was schemed away by Belichick in this one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That wouldn’t preclude quick slants or crossing patterns. I see little of those. There’s very little visual variety in hops route tree from the naked eye.
Kyler doesn't consistently sit in the pocket and let crossers develop which is why Fitz is used so little. Also, I think defenses are really confusing him right now. IMO this is what is why he is struggling to his guys in stride. He just isn't seeing it well IMO which is to be expected due to his inexperience vs high-level defenses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose