Jalen Smith

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
*sighs*

in the post you quoted me I said he’s a Tyson Chandler/ Channing Frye hybrid type. You just took the Frye part

Smith is a lanky rim runner who blocks shots and spots up from 3. That’s why I says he’s he’s a hybrid between Chandler and Frye.
And someone took your post and ran with Frye. I just addressed Frye.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course Suns-era Channing Frye was enormously valuable (not unlike Duncan Robinson for Miami), and if Smith can become a proxy for that he will be a massive success at #10 in a reputedly weak draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Suns-era Channing Frye was enormously valuable (not unlike Duncan Robinson for Miami), and if Smith can become a proxy for that he will be a massive success at #10 in a reputedly weak draft.

Frye was the favorite target by many here because of the things he couldn't do (or couldn't do wel). IMO they tended to miss the fact that our guards were much more effective when he was out there spacing the court or playing off of Dragic in the two man game. He was also a smart team defender, vocal and always gave good effort. His complete inability to hold his position down low is the only thing that kept him from being a star AFAIC.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Its almost scary. It’s like I’m watching a clone. But I don’t know if Horace Grant is the right guy, maybe more Dale Davis.

to say this kid plays like any power forward from the early 90s is a joke.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its almost scary. It’s like I’m watching a clone. But I don’t know if Horace Grant is the right guy, maybe more Dale Davis.

Jalen Smith reminds me a bit of Kevin Garnett with a better 3-point shot. Maybe it's the similar physical build.

Of course it needs to be proven on the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can someone describe to me the major difference between saying Smith reminds them of Chandler crossed with Frye... and others saying Grant with Frye’s range... and why one of those would be CRAZY over the other?

I mean, both Chandler and Grant were big men, who played great defense, rebounded and had no back to basket game. Grant made 4 All Defensive Teams, Chandler made 3. Neither was a big shot blocker at around 1 per game. Chandler was taller (7’1) and a little more explosive.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith reminds me a bit of Kevin Garnett with a better 3-point shot. Maybe it's the similar physical build.

Of course it needs to be proven on the court.

This one I don’t see. he doesn’t have near KG’s speed, explosiveness or natural handles.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Smith was a great pick. He was the best player for the Terps who were Big Ten champs. I understand it was a surprise pick but hardly a reach. Give it time. He will impress like Cam Johnson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one I don’t see. he doesn’t have near KG’s speed, explosiveness or natural handles.

I mentioned they had a similar build. Anything more has to be proven although Smith is an excellent shooter with range.

Smith may not be Garnett athletically but there is not too much difference.

The big difference is Garnett was wiry strong. This is where Smith needs to improve.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can someone describe to me the major difference between saying Smith reminds them of Chandler crossed with Frye... and others saying Grant with Frye’s range... and why one of those would be CRAZY over the other?

I mean, both Chandler and Grant were big men, who played great defense, rebounded and had no back to basket game. Grant made 4 All Defensive Teams, Chandler made 3. Neither was a big shot blocker at around 1 per game. Chandler was taller (7’1) and a little more explosive.

That’s because nobody has said he plays like Horace Grant mixed with anyone it’s just Horace Grant . I must have missed those post or are you just trying to make it a thing now? Riiiiiight

if you wanna say Horace Grant mixed with Sam Perkins you can do that combo to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned they had a similar build. Anything more has to be proven although Smith is an excellent shooter with range.

Smith may not be Garnett athletically but there is not too much difference.

The big difference is Garnett was wiry strong. This is where Smith needs to improve.

are you saying they just have a similar build because their games otherwise are nothing alike. KG, even as a rookie, had solid handles and could create for others. That’s what made him so special coming into the draft.

Even as far as athletically, I really have to beg to differ. He doesn’t have KG’s explosion, speed, first step.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you saying they just have a similar build because their games otherwise are nothing alike. KG, even as a rookie, had solid handles and could create for others. That’s what made him so special coming into the draft.

Even as far as athletically, I really have to beg to differ. He doesn’t have KG’s explosion, speed, first step.

It's their physical build although Smith has to prove he is as wiry and strong. Ibaka might be the better comparison.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s because nobody has said he plays like Horace Grant mixed with anyone it’s just Horace Grant . I must have missed those post or are you just trying to make it a thing now? Riiiiiight

if you wanna say Horace Grant mixed with Sam Perkins you can do that combo to.

people have continually said Horace Grant with more range.

Channing Frye? Only because he can shoot the three. If he’s really a rebounder/shot-blocker/defender he’s closer to ho grant with more range. Remember, grant wasn’t a post-up player. He was a midrange jump shooter.

you literally responded to Ouchie's take about him being like Grant with more range.

right cause Tyson Chandler didn’t rebound, block or defend huh. He’s way more athletic than Grant that’s why I said Chandler cause Smith is also long and lanky and one of Smith Strengths is rim running.

And then this response was about Grant with more range...

Looks similar to Grant in build and play style, a little more range but not quite as quick.

but yeah.. it's "just Horace Grant" that people are saying. I mean... one of the above responses you QUOTED and responded to.

Now, i'm sure you'll come back with I'm stalking you or call me a baby girl or something else inane because ever admitting you were actually wrong would somehow hurt your manhood.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
people have continually said Horace Grant with more range.

you literally responded to Ouchie's take about him being like Grant with more range.

And then this response was about Grant with more range...

but yeah.. it's "just Horace Grant" that people are saying. I mean... one of the above responses you QUOTED and responded to.

Now, i'm sure you'll come back with I'm stalking you or call me a baby girl or something else inane because ever admitting you were actually wrong would somehow hurt your manhood.

jesus bud your reaching

listen I’m sorry for hurting you but it’s become painfully clear I got you feeling a certain type of way.

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
I say he is a cross between Jalen Rose and Joe Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Frye was the favorite target by many here because of the things he couldn't do (or couldn't do wel). IMO they tended to miss the fact that our guards were much more effective when he was out there spacing the court or playing off of Dragic in the two man game. He was also a smart team defender, vocal and always gave good effort. His complete inability to hold his position down low is the only thing that kept him from being a star AFAIC.
It was a difficult mental transition for many of us (myself included) to transition our thinking to a three-point-centric mindset. And that was even the case having supported SSOL, which at its time was three-point heavy. And Frye was at the very front end of the trend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow. I'm glad I didn't compare him to anyone---did I?
Lol. Well why the hell didn’t you? What’s wrong with you? He’s such a bad pick that trying to find a comparison is beneath you? You think he should’ve played soccer or something? Why soccer? Why would you think he should be a goalie? Just because of akeem olajawon?!? Cmon man. Doritos!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. Well why the hell didn’t you? What’s wrong with you? He’s such a bad pick that trying to find a comparison is beneath you? You think he should’ve played soccer or something? Why soccer? Why would you think he should be a goalie? Just because of akeem olajawon?!? Cmon man. Doritos!
It's hard to find a comparison. The Myles Turner comp seems safe, although Jalen is a much better rebounder. And Myles was not nearly this good coming out of college.