Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks sign Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Ibaka is solid, but he plays much older than his listed age, and his numbers off the bench were decidedly lackluster.
Yeah. Not sure either. Ibaka is a more versatile player though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hopefully the Suns should be fine at backup point guard but admittedly I am a bit concerned after going nearly three seasons without one.

If Cam Payne is not ready for the task, although he played well in Orlando, that's a lot to put on the shoulders of Galloway and Moore.

I hoping the Suns are still looking for a backup point guard and another center to fill the remaining two-way slot and the 15th roster position.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the above post I should have added Jevon Carter but I still feel the same about adding another point guard if one becomes available for one of the two slots available.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the above post I should have added Jevon Carter but I still feel the same about adding another point guard if one becomes available for one of the two slots available.
Carter as the third pg is ok with me. Skal might be a good option for one more big.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Ibaka is solid, but he plays much older than his listed age, and his numbers off the bench were decidedly lackluster.
He averaged a career high in points, second highest rebound average and second highest eFG% last season. While averaging the fewest minutes of his career. His blocks were down.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I think Carter can get by at some PG minutes. I remember Shaq Harrison holding his own at times strictly based on defending PG’s and he isn’t half the shooter/ball handler Jevon is.

Payne has never done it for me and I think his shooting was a major fluke last year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He averaged a career high in points, second highest rebound average and second highest eFG% last season. While averaging the fewest minutes of his career. His blocks were down.

All true, but he never looked like much when I watched him. Maybe I just caught him on bad days. I'm admittedly working with a small sample.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All true, but he never looked like much when I watched him. Maybe I just caught him on bad days. I'm admittedly working with a small sample.

watched every game of the bubble. He was easily their most consistent player there. 15 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1 block per game in 23 minutes. I think you saw a small sample size.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
watched every game of the bubble. He was easily their most consistent player there. 15 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1 block per game in 23 minutes. I think you saw a small sample size.
And the season before throughout the playoffs he impressed me. But admittedly similar small sample size for me.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Carter can get by at some PG minutes. I remember Shaq Harrison holding his own at times strictly based on defending PG’s and he isn’t half the shooter/ball handler Jevon is.

Payne has never done it for me and I think his shooting was a major fluke last year.

Of course his shooting was a fluke. He shot 52% from 3 on 7.5/100. Several of his made 3s were on pull-ups as well. It can still be a fluke and his actual shooting could be between his career 33% and 52%. If he can simply shoot 37 or 38% with his other traits of ball-handling, driving, and finishing he can be an adequate back-up PG.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carter creates much less offense than Payne (3.5 ast/36 career to 5.5). Carter is not a PG. He’s a short SG and POA defender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is why I want the Suns to add another point guard.

If Payne should not work out, the Suns only have Moore, Galloway and Carter behind Chris Paul.

Notice I have not mentioned Devin Booker playing point guard although he probably will on special occasions this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we're going to get someone like Dedmon or Skal for our end of the bench roster spot.

If not the Suns might want to keep the 15th roster spot open for a move later in the season if someone gets bought out or perhaps a minor trade.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is why I want the Suns to add another point guard.

If Payne should not work out, the Suns only have Moore, Galloway and Carter behind Chris Paul.

Notice I have not mentioned Devin Booker playing point guard although he probably will on special occasions this season.

Any time that Booker plays with Carter, Galloway, or Moore (and no Payne or Paul) he will be the de facto PG. Booker “playing PG” is not an issue in and of itself; the issue was one of a lack of creative perimeter talent when “Point Book” was coined that had the unfortunate consequence of conflating the teams’ poor performance with some commentary on Booker’s lack of creative ability.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If not the Suns might want to keep the 15th roster spot open for a move later in the season if someone gets bought out or perhaps a minor trade.

That or sign a development piece, someone that isn't ready for minutes and knows it.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The last three roster spots shouldn’t be thought of as “guys that will play minutes”. Even an 11 man rotation is pushing it. The Suns should prioritize guys that will bust ass in practice and be consummate teammates. Sometimes those guys (Carter) turn into fringe rotation guys, and they almost always cause more good than bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose