Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself

I knew Rich Roll's background and I've listened to several of his podcasts, but I didn't know all the details. Damn, what a life story.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself

I knew Rich Roll's background and I've listened to several of his podcasts, but I didn't know all the details. Damn, what a life story.
I assume that you are aware of David Goggins too?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I assume that you are aware of David Goggins too?

Toughest man alive! I believe I've watched every David Goggins clip on the internet, in addition to reading his book (and the book by Jesse Itzler about the time Goggins lived with him for 30 days). His story about his first 100 mile race is the craziest running story I've ever heard.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

The Godfather

The film closely follows the book. The book spends a lot more time on Johnny Fontane for some reason and it has a weird sub plot with Sonny's mistress.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

The Godfather

The film closely follows the book. The book spends a lot more time on Johnny Fontane for some reason and it has a weird sub plot with Sonny's mistress.

That was actually required reading for an organized crime class I took years ago, I had seen the movie several times before reading the book but I did enjoy it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

• Shibumi By: Trevanian

Publisher's Summary
Nicholai Hel, born in the ravages of World War I China to an aristocratic Russian mother and a mysterious German father, raised in the spiritual gardens of a Japanese Go Master, survives the destruction of Hiroshima to emerge as the world's most artful lover and its most accomplished and highly paid assassin. Genius, mystic, master of language and culture, Hel's secret is his determination to attain a rare kind of personal excellence, a state of effortless perfection: shibumi.

Now living in an isolated mountain fortress with his magnificent Eurasian mistress, Hel faces his most sinister enemy, a super-monolith of espionage and monopoly. The battle lines are drawn: ruthless power and corruption on one side and on the other, shibumi.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance

This is fantastic.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s everything everybody said it was....EPIC

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

She's a bit of a quack, but I like to devour pretty much anything related to health and fitness whether I agree with it or not.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius

I like reading stuff from the stoics.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

The Telomere Effect: A Revolutionary Approach to Living Younger, Healthier, Longer

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
by Adam Higginbotham

The definitive, dramatic untold story of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, based on original reporting and new archival research.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
by Adam Higginbotham

The definitive, dramatic untold story of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, based on original reporting and new archival research.
Nice! I just started the HBO show Chernobyl. I'm definitely going to do some reading on this subject when I'm done watching. I was 12 when it happened, so I'm surprised I don't remember more about it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I just started the HBO show Chernobyl. I'm definitely going to do some reading on this subject when I'm done watching. I was 12 when it happened, so I'm surprised I don't remember more about it.
Definitely watch the HBO series first. The events about what happened at this place is unreal and almost comical if it wasn't so dire and deadly.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This book was completed before Kobe's untimely death so it is not a "he is dead, he was perfect, say nothing negative about him" book. Jeff Pearlman, again writes a great book about sports. It is raw, with everyone. If you think Kobe walked on water, you will hate it. If you think Kobe was a flawed superstar, you will love it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Oh Crap. How was this @Bada0Bing
Raw. As I get older I realize there's no glory in war. Probably won't interest the younger group, but for someone like me that has always been fascinated with war and almost in my 50s, it was one of the best stories I've ever listened to.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Raw. As I get older I realize there's no glory in war. Probably won't interest the younger group, but for someone like me that has always been fascinated with war and almost in my 50s, it was one of the best stories I've ever listened to.
Nice. I'm 43 now and my wife's grandfather was on the USS Sheridan and remembers most of the pacific fleet engagements. He's like a walking History channel episode. He was the driver that took the troops to shore during the first stages of the battle and it's striking to listen to him talk about the coral reef at Tarawa or the total insanity he witnessed at Pelelieu.

He's 97 now and I take every moment I can get to talk to him. I actually got a hold of the mayor of his town last year when he turned 97 and got a proclamation naming Sept 27th as Sam Graveno Day. It was priceless for my wife's family to see that.

With all of that being said...... I tend to devour WW2 content, and anything that occurred in the pacific.

Also..... Have you seen these? I may buy one. https://battlearchives.com/collections

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice. I'm 43 now and my wife's grandfather was on the USS Sheridan and remembers most of the pacific fleet engagements. He's like a walking History channel episode. He was the driver that took the troops to shore during the first stages of the battle and it's striking to listen to him talk about the coral reef at Tarawa or the total insanity he witnessed at Pelelieu.

He's 97 now and I take every moment I can get to talk to him. I actually got a hold of the mayor of his town last year when he turned 97 and got a proclamation naming Sept 27th as Sam Graveno Day. It was priceless for my wife's family to see that.

With all of that being said...... I tend to devour WW2 content, and anything that occurred in the pacific.

Also..... Have you seen these? I may buy one. https://battlearchives.com/collections
That's a cool website.

Jeez, what a great story. You're lucky to know someone that was there. My grandpa was an airplane mechanic in WW2 and Korea, but he never talked about it. The only time we ever spoke about his time there is when I was doing a research paper for school. Then he was like a completely different person.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm reading The Fifth to Die by J.D. Barker currently. Not my favorite genre to read, but Barker's a solid writer and a cool dude. He used to live in Pittsburgh and attend/present at one of my writing groups.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose