Jalen Smith

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I saw his team was setting screens for a 6'10" to shoot the three, that tells you what the coach thinks of his shooting. I know he will have problems on D to start, but I can wait to see him take some threes!

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about this kid. He has the tools, the brain, and the drive.

He’s definitely mature which I like. I was lukewarm about the pick at first but the more I read, the more I like.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheed really likes this kid. Man would I love to have a young Rasheed Wallace on this team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jalen hangs his hat on defense and feels it's the most important thing.

That's all I wanted to hear. No question about his offense or his athletic ability.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he can turn into JJJ (or close to it), the fit could not be better next to Ayton and Book.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what Jalen Smith's contract looks like.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The two years of college helped him fill out a lot. Remember when KG came into the league? He was a bean pole.

You must be registered for see images attach
Reggie Miller and Kevin Durant were both considered too skinny to play in the NBA when they were drafted.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reggie Miller and Kevin Durant were both considered too skinny to play in the NBA when they were drafted.

Same goes for the player Smith seeks to emulate, Kevin Garnett. Of course, it took Garnett about a year and a half to adjust to playing in the NBA...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen hangs his hat on defense and feels it's the most important thing.

That's all I wanted to hear. No question about his offense or his athletic ability.

I am really thinking it is very likely this guy is going work out. He seems to have the perfect attitude, and he has the size and length.

Only question is does he have the athletic ability to play 4 on D and be able to make switches.

Worst case scenerio is he becomes a good center, but the upside is he becomes a Jaren Jackson type which would be perfect for our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same goes for the player Smith seeks to emulate, Kevin Garnett. Of course, it took Garnett about a year and a half to adjust to playing in the NBA...

It didn’t take KG a year to adjust to the NBA. It took a year and half for him to become a star. Right out of the gate he averaging 11/6/2/1.8 in his rookie season.

KG was also two years younger than Smith.

NONE of which is to say Smith is going to be even close to KG but it flies in the face of the idea that anyone drafted this year is going to take at least two years to contribute.

Jalen doesn’t have to be even close to a star. He just needs to be a guy who eat some minutes and hold his own as a backup for 15-20 minutes per game. Can he be that guy? Remains to be seen. But the idea that he won’t simply because of his age is unfounded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really thinking it is very likely this guy is going work out. He seems to have the perfect attitude, and he has the size and length.

Only question is does he have the athletic ability to play 4 on D and be able to make switches.

Worst case scenerio is he becomes a good center, but the upside is he becomes a Jaren Jackson type which would be perfect for our team.

I don't worry about Jalen's athletic ability but he needs to work on his foot work and strength to improve on defense.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It didn’t take KG a year to adjust to the NBA. It took a year and half for him to become a star. Right out of the gate he averaging 11/6/2/1.8 in his rookie season.

NONE of which is to say Smith is going to be even close to KG but it flies in the face of the idea that anyone drafted this year is going to take at least two years to contribute.

Jalen doesn’t have to be even close to a star. He just needs to be a guy who eat some minutes and hold his own as a backup for 15-20 minutes per game. Can he be that guy? Remains to be seen. But the idea that he won’t simply because of his age is unfounded.

KG was playing 29 minutes per game for a 26 win team his rookie year. Smith will likely play nowhere near those minutes and should be on a 40-50 win team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not age. Underdeveloped body. And Garnett absolutely got abused his rookie season, particularly on defense, which ended up being his calling card. And Garnett's trajectory is Smith's best case scenario (and while I love Smith as a prospect, I don't think he is anywhere near Garnett or Durant). My point is that Smith has nice promise, but to expect him to be ready to contribute anything of significance to a playoff run this season is naive, in my opinion.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
KG thought he was the strongest player on the court every game even though he wasn’t. I think Smith is kinda close to that mindset. He’ll be money once he adds strength to his base.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KG thought he was the strongest player on the court every game even though he wasn’t. I think Smith is kinda close to that mindset. He’ll be money once he adds strength to his base.

That's the hope, but it's going to take a while both to add strength to his base and then to maintain and increase his lateral movement and flexibility with that stronger base.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's the hope, but it's going to take a while both to add strength to his base and then to maintain and increase his lateral movement and flexibility with that stronger base.
We'll see, but he got much stronger between year 1 and 2 of college and has had a very long off season so far.

From the time he played his last college game to his first NBA game will have been about 9 months and he has said that he has been working a lot on his lower body strength. It may come along faster than you think it will.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My estimation is he is double the size that KG was in musculature. Smith's legs are way better muscle musculature than KG's for rookies.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KG never even really filled out. He did add muscle but his frame was still a bit thin.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s going to be really easy to root for Jalen. I give Jones credit for bringing in some high character guys even if he does reach a little. There’s something to be said for knowing what you want and that thing being maturity. Especially after Chriss and Jackson.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope smith turns into a hoarce grant type player for us! His play style looks similar well and the goggles Haha

Im really starting to dig this pic

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope smith turns into a hoarce grant type player for us! His play style looks similar well and the goggles Haha

Im really starting to dig this pic

plays absolutely nothing like Horace Grant. I imagine him a Tyson Chandler/Channing Frye hybrid.

this kid was a 5 star recruit and McDonalds all American who’s only gotten better every year.

the more I look into the more hyped I get

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More of a channin Frye.

people keep saying Horace just because of the goggles