Jalen Smith

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Something about this guy's shooting stroke reminds me of Chuck Person. Watching all his highlight reels I kept thinking that. Last guy I saw that shot that good for a large man from long range was Bob Macadoo. Hard to block 6'10" at the three point line. There's a highlight of Sticks hitting a last second three and taking some body contact that is really cool!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Looks like the Suns did their homework: "
When Jones and the Suns worked out Smith individually, the big man didn’t shy away from showing what he wasn’t so good at, as opposed to other prospects who in workouts showcase only their strengths/

“Jalen was one that exposed his weaknesses and [we were] able to see where he excels and where he doesn’t,” Jones said. “We came away from that excited and with some clarity knowing when he’s here with us, we can help him get better quickly.”

The appeal, of course, is through a very enticing offensive identity.

“When you look at his ball skills and his comfort level being on the perimeter, he allows us to play with two dynamic bigs in space,” Jones said of a potential Smith/Ayton pairing. “I don’t think it’ll be a problem. I’m looking forward to seeing those two guys anchoring the floor together, even if it’s for stints.”

Jones saw a 20-year-old who made major strides from his freshman to sophomore season, adding over 30 pounds to his frame with the Terrapins.

It comes back to the work rate and intangibles inside a very promising young basketball prospect.

“The speed and intensity at which he executes is something that we demand, so I think it’s a seamless fit,” Jones said."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is interesting that Jones drafted this guy with plan to actually use him in the rotation, not just sit him at the end of the bench and hope he develops in a year or two.
Answered the question if we would see him and Ayton on the floor at the same time!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Answered the question if we would see him and Ayton on the floor at the same time!

Of all the first round PF prospects, except perhaps Toppin, Smith is the best fit with Ayton, in my opinion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Definitely drafted for need. Also he is not a small ball guy. Jones is not a MENSA member. He takes a very simple direct approach to team building. I cannot see him as a very good GM when he has to do what Presti is doing right now. But for this stage he seems fine.
I agree. Jones may put together a nice team but I don’t think we’ll see him outsmarting the league or being a top GM.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also this guy does not have to be set to shoot the ball. He can hit shots on the move. It opens up a lot more avenues than having to wait to get open.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. Jones may put together a nice team but I don’t think we’ll see him outsmarting the league or being a top GM.
Sometimes the smart guys get arrogant and outsmart themselves. Its like they have to prove to everyone that they are the smartest guy in the room. Jones just doesn't seem to care about that.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone hear from the coach, yet? It’s been all from the gym. Just wondering. I haven’t seen anything.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont watch college or follow draft picks as much as most on here, its always a crap shoot. But watching video now, Smith has great instincts for positioning. He runs the floor well and looks to get position early on his guyy. More on positioning, he finds the open area/lane which also creates a passing lane for the guards to feed him. A lot of guys find open areas but no passing lane is created, Smith makes it easier to get the ball to him.

Then of course there's the length and shooting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw a video where he worked off screens for jump shots. Imagine a team setting screens for their 6'10" guy to take a 3 pointer! LOL! Seems like he should be setting the screens, LOL!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sometimes the smart guys get arrogant and outsmart themselves. Its like they have to prove to everyone that they are the smartest guy in the room. Jones just doesn't seem to care about that.

basketball isn’t too complicated

you need
(1) an offensive engine or 2
(2) tall people that can defend/rebound/shoot and hopefully make a few plays

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Just some measurement oddities I am curious about.

Jalen Smith has a 7-1 wingspan and a 9-2 standing reach. That is an odd disparity. Narrow shoulders, short neck maybe? Here are some other players to compare.

Anthony Davis--7-6, 9-0
Ayton-7-6, 9-3
Camby--7-6, 9-3

I guess that whatever the case, Smith is long. He is not a short-armed pf. He has a rangy frame that can add some bulk.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the sky is the limit for this kid. He has the physical traits to be a very good, maybe even great, pf. It all depends on what is between his ears.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The two years of college helped him fill out a lot. Remember when KG came into the league? He was a bean pole.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved this quote from him. The fact is right now, he might look a lot different from what he did last winter. You get a 20-year-old on a lower-body regimen and he can develop rather quickly.

“This whole offseason I’ve been focusing on getting my lower body strong and just becoming more flexible in the hips and the ankles,” Smith said. “On the court, being able to create for myself and being able to explode with my back to the basket and just extending my three-point range.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...th-nba-draft-2020-goggles-hustle-phoenix-suns

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved this quote from him. The fact is right now, he might look a lot different from what he did last winter. You get a 20-year-old on a lower-body regimen and he can develop rather quickly.

“This whole offseason I’ve been focusing on getting my lower body strong and just becoming more flexible in the hips and the ankles,” Smith said. “On the court, being able to create for myself and being able to explode with my back to the basket and just extending my three-point range.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...th-nba-draft-2020-goggles-hustle-phoenix-suns

Double like

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So. Just some measurement oddities I am curious about.

Jalen Smith has a 7-1 wingspan and a 9-2 standing reach. That is an odd disparity. Narrow shoulders, short neck maybe? Here are some other players to compare.

Anthony Davis--7-6, 9-0
Ayton-7-6, 9-3
Camby--7-6, 9-3

I guess that whatever the case, Smith is long. He is not a short-armed pf. He has a rangy frame that can add some bulk.
Narrow shoulders, short neck? Not completely sure, but there could also be a typo somewhere in either wingspan or standing reach.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Triple like ;) i think he will surprise a lot of people this yr hope he and ayton gel too on court fingers crossed
I think a lot of people are overlooking how long of an off season it has been for these guys coming out of college.

As long as they are working on the right things than there is a possibility of a lot of growth in these 7-8 months they have had.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith's wingspan is listed at 7'2.25'' and 9'2.00'' standing reach per NBA combine measurements.

Also height is 6'9.25'' without shoes. With shoes is 6'10.25''.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He gets it. A good sign.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I LOVE reading this.