ICYMI: a sit down with Elie Okobo

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For anyone wondering, they did that interview the day after the draft once the press conference introducing Ayton, Bridges, King, and Okobo to the press as "Phoenix Suns". It was a fun interview though. They had 1 on 1 interviews will all of the players that day. I'll link those here for anyone interested.

Ayton
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

George King

Can't find Bridges right now though.

Definitely get a Barbosa vibe from him. I like that pick more after originally watching that video because he comes across as a solid young kid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elie seems like such a nice person. And he likes the heat!

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Have a good feeling about Okobo... could definitely see him turning into another Tony Parker. Summer league is really going to be fun to follow.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Have a good feeling about Okobo... could definitely see him turning into another Tony Parker. Summer league is really going to be fun to follow.

I could see him turning into a Barbosa type, which would be a huge win from a 2nd round pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had thought Barbosa was a 2nd round pick for some reason but he was selected 28th overall, back when there was only 29 teams and picks in each round.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Amen (about Tony Parker 2.0). Anyone know if games are going to be available on NBA league pass?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They should all be available on the watch ESPN service. Also all of the games will be on either ESPN, ESPN2 or NBA TV.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I'd put this here rather than the SL game thread. Here's Okobo's highlights from game 1 of Summer League.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The more I learn and watch Okobo the more I think of Barbosa, similarities seem to keep coming. I'd be fine with him becoming the Blur 2.0. I think he'll be a better PG than Barbosa was but I could see him as a combo guard in the NBA once he develops his game a little more.We need him to play PG right now though and that's where he'll see the most time.

Really pulling for that kid. He quickly became my 2nd or 3rd favorite Suns player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My kid saw him in town with family and asked for a picture. It made my kid feel good because he said Okobo's family got a big kick out of seeing he was recognized! He said Okobo was really happy he asked, too!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kid saw him in town with family and asked for a picture. It made my kid feel good because he said Okobo's family got a big kick out of seeing he was recognized! He said Okobo was really happy he asked, too!

Too often we do not know the person behind the player. Good stuff.

I hope he catches on somewhere else.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps although Okobo's stats weren't terrible. We may yet see him in the NBA again.

He needs to develop a go-to NBA skill imo. None of our backup guards can do everything, but each has a bankable skill.

Carter is a high-energy defender.
Galloway is instant offense.
Payne can run a second unit (I think; small sample size)
Moore can make reliable decisions consistently.

All four are above average NBA three point shooters (again, small sample size on Payne and Carter).

Okobo doesn't have any of those to offer reliably at this point.

Added: I posted this right before reading your comment about "having a skill to hang your hat on" comment in another thread. I completely agree with that, obviously.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs to develop a go-to NBA skill imo. None of our backup guards can do everything, but each has a bankable skill.

Carter is a high-energy defender.
Galloway is instant offense.
Payne can run a second unit (I think; small sample size)
Moore can make reliable decisions consistently.

All four are above average NBA three point shooters (again, small sample size on Payne and Carter).

Okobo doesn't have any of those to offer reliably at this point.

I think Elie needs to concentrate on being a pass first point guard. His turnover to assist ratio isn't bad. He needs a calling card as you mention. He is only 23 so it's possible. Phoenix using him as a shooting guard didn't help.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okoboel01.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its just time to move to known veterans. We are not in development mode right now and if we were, we would be looking for more likely candidates. Okobo had a window to get it done and just did not. He could develop more but it will probably be in Europe or with a rebuilding team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave