CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oubre is possibly a better all around player than Mikal and definitely than Cam, but they both play seamlessly within the offense and Oubre really doesn't.

My guess is that with Paul and Booker mostly dominating the ball they would have preferred either Mikal or Cam (or both) on the floor with them than Oubre and that made him expendable.

Like I said, Oubre is a nice player, but few really considered him a true core player. He was a nice story but the Suns basically turned chicken crap into Chris Paul.

Paul's off the ball skills should fit around Booker very well, and Booker will love all the easy looks. Plus Paul has been one of the best love passers in the game, so he should help Ayton out alot.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Like I said, Oubre is a nice player, but few really considered him a true core player. He was a nice story but the Suns basically turned chicken crap into Chris Paul.

Paul's off the ball skills should fit around Booker very well, and Booker will love all the easy looks. Plus Paul has been one of the best love passers in the game, so he should help Ayton out alot.
Paul's off ball abilities and also scoring abilities will be an interesting dynamic with Booker. He has never played with a guard that can do all of the things that Paul can do and especially not as well as Paul of course. Rubio is a solid PG, but he is a limited threat as a scorer both on and off ball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. What I do like about the trade is that all that Valley Boyz crap is gone.

For me it’s a style over substance thing. It’s something Chris Paul is not going to put up with.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Well. What I do like about the trade is that all that Valley Boyz crap is gone.

For me it’s a style over substance thing. It’s something Chris Paul is not going to put up with.

I agree. The valley boyz stuff was just crap for the casual fan, but the Suns also just inherited the dirtiest player in the league.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today's NBA, you need a big 3. We can see booker is a legit Big-3 player. Ayton is right there at the cusp. Did we really want to pay Oubre as our third? No, Oubre is a good 4-6 option but not final piece to a big 3.
Rubio is a solid guard, but really limited in shooting which allowed everyone else to be covered tight. Rubio is not a guy to get the most out of players too.
CP3 carries a lot of clout throughout the NBA. Hopefully we can finally get some calls to go our way.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today's NBA, you need a big 3. We can see booker is a legit Big-3 player. Ayton is right there at the cusp. Did we really want to pay Oubre as our third? No, Oubre is a good 4-6 option but not final piece to a big 3.
Rubio is a solid guard, but really limited in shooting which allowed everyone else to be covered tight. Rubio is not a guy to get the most out of players too.
CP3 carries a lot of clout throughout the NBA. Hopefully we can finally get some calls to go our way.
Rubio's shooting had improved a lot. I think Rubio is an excellent guard to get the most (or a lot) out of the players around him. I think Rubio is a bit under appreciated here.

I agree about Oubre.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio's shooting had improved a lot. I think Rubio is an excellent guard to get the most (or a lot) out of the players around him. I think Rubio is a bit under appreciated here.

I agree about Oubre.

Rubio did his job, good ball handler, good passes. He was a professional, solid guard, not trying to take anything away from him but we needed another star on the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Paul's off ball abilities and also scoring abilities will be an interesting dynamic with Booker. He has never played with a guard that can do all of the things that Paul can do and especially not as well as Paul of course. Rubio is a solid PG, but he is a limited threat as a scorer both on and off ball.

This is why I think this trade will be REALL good for the Suns, because in crunch time, Rubio wasn't particularly useful.

As time has worn on, I'm much less bullish on Oubre. Oubre is decent at everything and there is certainly a place for a player like him, but I want to get Bridges/Cam on the floor more.

I think this trade will easily be a net positive in the short run, and you can chalk this trade up as a trade of Ariza, some junk, and what might end up being a late lottery or mid 1st round pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is why I think this trade will be REALL good for the Suns, because in crunch time, Rubio wasn't particularly useful.

As time has worn on, I'm much less bullish on Oubre. Oubre is decent at everything and there is certainly a place for a player like him, but I want to get Bridges/Cam on the floor more.

I think this trade will easily be a net positive in the short run, and you can chalk this trade up as a trade of Ariza, some junk, and what might end up being a late lottery or mid 1st round pick.
As I have seen mentioned elsewhere. Even if Paul is gone after 2 years he should be a big help in instilling a winning culture and when he does leave it frees up 40m+.

That frees up enough for an Ayton extension and maybe even the addition of another star player.

So in two years we could see Booker and Ayton as a strong 1 and 2 that knows how to win games and then add a solid big 3 type player on top of that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From what I read, and it doesn't always end in Championships, but Cuban has the best Planes, hotels, food, for his guys. I would want to play for him!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
From what I read, and it doesn't always end in Championships, but Cuban has the best Planes, hotels, food, for his guys. I would want to play for him!
That would be helpful when deciding between two teams with similar winning capabilities and similar contract offers. However if a player is getting a similar contract offer to go to a team that he sees as more likely to be successful than I would imagine the niceties offered by the owner would probably come in 2nd.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The niceties do tell a lot about the owner.

I'm glad the Suns built that new training facility in an area many players live. It will make working out that much easier and better. Maybe that's why the Suns were able to get some of those quality minimum salaried veterans.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If one is going to look at it from the Suns perspective, Chris Paul doesn't have to be the best player on the team. Hopefully Devin Booker is the player that delivers at crunch time.

It is interesting Paul has only been to one conference finals. Let's hope he is hungry playing for the Suns. Maybe he wants a chance to invigorate the Suns like Steve Nash.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't really agree with this. I think there is a chance Oubre is a star next year if he progresses as much as he did last season.

I think if the Suns are making this deal, the primary reason is due to the leadership they think he will provide.

Update: Oubre not on ESPN top100. Paul checking in at #15.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yeah. They hated each other which is why they traded CP3. Harden pretty much demanded it.

seems like Harden is the problem child

Paul’s only sin was getting hurt when Houston was up 3-2 against the KD-Warriors

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would Miami have won a series against any of the top four teams in the West? As for the Nuggets, yes, there's a huge gap between them and the Suns. Jokic is miles ahead of Ayton, Murray has the edge on Booker, and you can continue from there.

Obviously Jokic, Denver’s best player, has the edge on Ayton, the Suns’ 3rd best player. Murray has the edge on Booker? I’d say no.

Just as a proxy to drive these points home,
ESPN ranked the following guys for next year for the teams:

Denver
10. Jokic
21. Murray
51. MPJ

Phoenix
15. Paul
17. Booker
52. Ayton

Denver’s supporting players include: Gary Harris, JaMychal Green, Monte Morris, and Will Barton

Phoenix boasts: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, and Dario Saric

On paper these are VERY evenly matched teams and Denver made the WCF.