Rate the 2020 Offseason

How do you grade this off-season

• Total voters

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the deepest team the Suns will field since either the 2010 season or the mid 90s.

After nearly a decade of reaching into the D-League when going to the bench it is hard not to be excited about our depth. Potentially, we have 3 all-star caliber players in our starting lineup, we also have starting caliber players in deep positions on the bench.

For the first time in ages I can say that anything less than a 50+ win team and a solid playoff run is a disappointment. And it was done without mortgaging the future. Really hard to not give this offseason a high grade.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the deepest team the Suns will field since either the 2010 season or the mid 90s.

After nearly a decade of reaching into the D-League when going to the bench it is hard not to be excited about our depth. Potentially, we have 3 all-star caliber players in our starting lineup, we also have starting caliber players in deep positions on the bench.

For the first time in ages I can say that anything less than a 50+ win team and a solid playoff run is a disappointment. And it was done without mortgaging the future. Really hard to not give this offseason a high grade.
There are only 75 games in this coming season and it will still take some time for this team to find its identity. 50 games would be a miracle even for this team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. You guys are getting a bit carried away. This team is going to take some time to gel I think. It might be wise to temper the expectations a tad. And I am the cockeyed optimist here.

With this level of expectation, I set the chances of this board being disappointed at 80%.

Its kind of like Ayton. You have a second year player who scores 18 and pulls down 11 rebounds while being a significant presence on defense and he constantly gets ripped. If he was a mid first round pick everyone would be overjoyed. Its just the expectations are so high.

Last edited:

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, “a solid playoff run” implies winning at least one and maybe two series. I think we have a shot to win a series, but I’d be ecstatic if we won two+.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Considering what we've been through as fans for the last 10 years, what happened this offseason is a minor miracle. We acquired an all NBA talent without giving up any major pieces, and surrounded Book with legit NBA players with defined roles from top to bottom.

Sarver apparently wants to rehab his imagine along with the arena.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

That is such a great underrated point. We have a team full of ACTUAL NBA players. There are exceptions of course (the 2 rookies most notably) but even the 11th and 12th guys in Nader and Damion Jones, saw the floor for 15+ mpg last year. It's a far cry from the Okobos, Jeromes, Lecques and Jawan Ewans of the world.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is such a great underrated point. We have a team full of ACTUAL NBA players. There are exceptions of course (the 2 rookies most notably) but even the 11th and 12th guys in Nader and Damion Jones, saw the floor for 15+ mpg last year. It's a far cry from the Okobos, Jeromes, Lecques and Jawan Ewans of the world.
Those are the better players among the examples available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those are the better players among the examples available.
Right. Who was the d league trash pg we started and then quickly cut? Cant even recall his name. Sheesh we’ve had such scrap metal on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked, and Josh Gray never started for the Suns. But he easily could have at one point, which is all that needs to be said hahaha

Josh Gray was one. Also Isaiah Canaan if that counts. There are so many.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither of those guys. Was there a Mike James that started a few games to start a season?

Yeah, there was a high scoring American player who'd played well overseas that we pursued and signed only to see him wash out fairly quickly. I think that was Mike James.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I voted b very good moves acquiring paul should help and i am liking the smith pic more and more and crowder great signing for def!!!

Hope things tirns out ok for suns this yr booker is due....

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Man. You guys are getting a bit carried away. This team is going to take some time to gel I think. It might be wise to temper the expectations a tad. And I am the cockeyed optimist here.

With this level of expectation, I set the chances of this board being disappointed at 80%.

Its kind of like Ayton. You have a second year player who scores 18 and pulls down 11 rebounds while being a significant presence on defense and he constantly gets ripped. If he was a mid first round pick everyone would be overjoyed. Its just the expectations are so high.
They will take some time to be running on all cylinders, but CP3 will have this team playing solid ball from the jump. That is the main new cog of this team and I don’t think it will take long for guys to get used to CP3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will take some time to be running on all cylinders, but CP3 will have this team playing solid ball from the jump. That is the main new cog of this team and I don’t think it will take long for guys to get used to CP3.
Hope you are right and I am wrong.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hope you are right and I am wrong.
Hope so too. I am just going off of CP3's history with new teams. They are usually better than the year prior in his first season and it doesn't appear there were many growing pains with those teams for the most part. First year with the Clips they went 14-6 in the first 20 games and Rockets were 17-3 in his first 20. The Thunder did take a little longer, but I liken our talent to be more along the lines of the 2011-12 Clippers than last year's Thunder.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There has already been video of Paul and Booker working together. I trust the team will be ready to go early on. Crowder and Paul are high IQ players and Paul has played for Monty before so I don't think it'll take long for this team to gel.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You should read the comments for the Tweet. They are hilarious.

I especially liked this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: