Kelly Oubre...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am no fan of Sarver... but Oubre was LITERALLY a "Whoops! Our bad!" replacement player in a trade. He was the guy thrown into a misunderstanding to try and make a disaster salvageable.

His Wizards trajectory had him on pace to be a vet minimum signing. He lands here, he gets 30 million over 2 years and is traded for an all-pro.

Again... I am no fan of Sarver's but Oubre's comments reek of rejection. He WANTED to stay here, the Suns moved on and his ego is lashing out.

Notice that he didn't say squat when he was still attached to the dumpster fire that is the Thunder.
It is clear that both Oubre and Rubio wanted to stay.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The owner does care for the franchise...that's why he traded your ass for a HOF PG.
A 35 year old (soon to be 36) HOF PG who is owed over 85mm in the next two seasons. A player who missed 12 games last year and 24 each of the years prior to that.

I get the trade, and can get behind it generally. But to not say that Sarver (who is consistently roasted by former and current players and staff) is a horrible stain on the NBA and Phoenix seems weak to me.

Oubre's newest quotes:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...y-owner-joe-lacob-actually-cares-organization

Sarver, who has owned the Suns since 2004, has developed a reputation locally and nationally for leading an organization in perpetual tumult -- marked by a great deal of losing and a rotating door of coaching and front-office hires.

"You just hit the nail on the head," Oubre said during an appearance on "Damon, Ratto & Kolsky," on 95.7 The Game in San Francisco. "I can play for an owner -- somebody who actually cares about the organization and not just the perception of the organization on the media end of it. It's all about the foundation for me, man. You have a beautiful foundation, can build a beautiful [future]."

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet, despite this clearly awful owner, Chris Paul chose to go here when he could have gone to many other places.

Sarver is not without his faults, but he spent a lot of money on “perception” (if that’s what it was) the last couple years not just on the team, taking it from laughingstock to 200:1 champ longshot to 25:1 contender in 24 months, but also on a better practice facility than the Warriors or any other team in the league has.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is clear that both Oubre and Rubio wanted to stay.

I question how bad Oubre wanted to be here. He signed what was basically a 1 year extension when he was a restricted free agent. The deal was short enough that he couldn't sign an extension.

I think he did want to be here but getting paid was more important than his desire to stay here. There's nothing wrong with that at his age but to try and blame Server now seems a bit petty, especially since he didn't start talking until he was traded to Golden State.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet, despite this clearly awful owner, Chris Paul chose to go here when he could have gone to many other places.

Sarver is not without his faults, but he spent a lot of money on “perception” (if that’s what it was) the last couple years not just on the team, taking it from laughingstock to 200:1 champ longshot to 25:1 contender in 24 months, but also on a better practice facility than the Warriors or any other team in the league has.
Sarvers "cheapness" tends to manifest itself in the front office and with petty stuff. His refusal to give Steve Kerr and his staff raises, cut backs now, not letting Oubre keep the jersey (whateve that was about). He's got sort of "cheapness" idiosyncrasies. He is the company exec that makes and spends millions but then complains that the toilet paper is too expensive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me add on to JCSunsfan comments.

The comments below explains a lot about Oubre's comments regarding Robert Sarver in post #727.

By Nick Friedell ESPN Staff Writer:

Oubre, who appeared in a recent promotional picture for the Suns as they showcased this season's City Edition jersey, said he did not get to keep his jersey, as the organization traded him for veteran Chris Paul soon thereafter.

"Of course not -- they didn't let me keep that, man," Oubre said. "It had my last name on it, but I think they're going to take the stitching out and give it to CP3."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...y-owner-joe-lacob-actually-cares-organization

Suns have a serious public relations problem with how they treat players on the way out the door. It doesn't help the Suns attract the better players.

I'm guessing Oubre's involvement in the formation of the Valley Boyz played a role in the idea behind the jersey.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who constantly posts pictures of himself in clothes on social media and uses #sssshhhh

Suddenly can't go online and can't stop talking

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

The comments below explains a lot about Oubre's comments regarding Robert Sarver in post #727.

Oubre, who appeared in a recent promotional picture for the Suns as they showcased this season's City Edition jersey, said he did not get to keep his jersey, as the organization traded him for veteran Chris Paul soon thereafter.

"Of course not -- they didn't let me keep that, man," Oubre said. "It had my last name on it, but I think they're going to take the stitching out and give it to CP3."

Suns have a serious public relations problem with how they treat players on the way out the door. It doesn't help the Suns attract the better players.

I'm guessing Oubre's involvement in the formation of the Valley Boyz played a role in the idea behind the jersey.
You know this isn’t serious when he talks about taking the stitching out and give it to Paul. Come on.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Chris Paul is going to a better situation while keeping the same money. It's a net positive for him IMO.

Not sure he CHOSE anything though.

And my final thought......

I will never give Sarver the benefit of the doubt on anything. Any success we see, will have been in spite of him. Any failure, will have been magnified by his presence.

It may seem a bit unfair...... But IMO he has earned that level of derision by this fan base.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think the narrative is set, and every little thing gets interpreted in a certain light. For instance, McD recently ripping a former owner for questioning his $200 cell phone bill. McD framed it as a cheapskate owner. If I was the owner and I saw that, it wouldn't be about the bill it would be about the intelligence of a GM who does not know what an unlimited plan is.

Sarver set the tone though when he did not meet Kerr's demand for raises for his people. I get the idea that the Suns organization is not a pleasant place to work (front office, marketing, secretarial, etc). That atmosphere is Sarver's responsibility.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chris Paul is going to a better situation while keeping the same money. It's a net positive for him IMO.

Not sure he CHOSE anything though.

And my final thought......

I will never give Sarver the benefit of the doubt on anything. Any success we see, will have been in spite of him. Any failure, will have been magnified by his presence.

It may seem a bit unfair...... But IMO he has earned that level of derision by this fan base.

He was being courted by both LA teams and Milwaukee, among others. He very much had a choice in where he ended up according to *every* NBA report in recent weeks. Your uncertainty notwithstanding.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know this isn’t serious when he talks about taking the stitching out and give it to Paul. Come on.

It fits with the other comments he made in regard to Suns ownership.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He was being courted by both LA teams and Milwaukee, among others. He very much had a choice in where he ended up according to *every* NBA report in recent weeks. Your uncertainty notwithstanding.
Well, the Bucks were a given. Along with the Sixers.

The Clips maybe but it never got past a phone call from Kawhi from what I read.

But this is all perception. So I'm not putting much stock in it. Both LA franchises would have had issues fitting a 42mm salary on their books for the next two seasons. That's my take.

The Bucks are begging Giannis to stay. The Sixers need a new direction that doesn't include Ben Simmons, and the Knicks have a stadium to fill now that they are the #2 draw in that city.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Meh. We've seen recent player related issues from many organizations even the seemingly most well run orgs. Hayward with Boston, Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio. Milwaukee is struggling to keep Giannis happy. Harrell was slighting the Clips on his way out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Meh. We've seen recent player related issues from many organizations even the seemingly most well run orgs. Hayward with Boston, Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio. Milwaukee is struggling to keep Giannis happy. Harrell was slighting the Clips on his way out.
Those were probably Sarver’s fault too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is, this is not one issue. If it were, I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

It's a string of issues going back to when Sarver became the owner of the Suns. I still remember when Joe Johnson was eligible for an extension. Instead of giving him a reasonable extension he told him to go prove himself next season or something to that effect. Of course the next season, Joe Johnson demanded out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The problem is this is not one issue. If it were, I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

It's a string of issues going back to when Sarver became the owner of the Suns. I still remember when Joe Johnson was eligible for an extension. Instead of giving him a reasonable extension he told him to go prove himself next season or something to that effect. Of course the next season, Joe Johnson demanded out.
So what is your solution? You’re complaining about things that happened 15 years ago. He’s not going to sell, so what is it you realistically want?

I would love to think that the arguments on a message board could help him actually sell, but that’s never going to happen. How many “I’m concerned...” posts does it take to make him a different owner?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is your solution? You’re complaining about things that happened 15 years ago. He’s not going to sell, so what is it you realistically want?

I would love to think that the arguments on a message board could help him actually sell, but that’s never going to happen. How many “I’m concerned...” posts does it take to make him a different owner?

I believe there is a legitimate chance he sells to Larry Fitz

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These things have been going on for 15 years.

Hire some staff who are skilled in player personnel and public relations issues.

The Suns are not only a sports franchise but a people business as well. They should be concerned with their brand and reputation.

These things didn't happen with Jerry Colangelo as the owner. He built a positive image for the Suns. Those looking back fondly remember those years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe there is a legitimate chance he sells to Larry Fitz

He's going to have to lead a group and scrape together $1.625 billion. Fitz has a net worth of $50 million which is poor by NBA player standards. Gordon Hayward will make more than that in 2 years. I'd imagine if he was going to lead a group to buy the Suns, he'd have to come to the table with more than he is capable of putting together.