xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Silver would have to void this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Silver would have to void this.

He absolutely would have to void it. That cannot be allowed to happen.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
He absolutely would have to void it. That cannot be allowed to happen.
Would you want it voided if the Suns were the team? Please don’t be so short sighted and biased.
The Lakers should have had that dirty little Chris Paul years ago, but the league stepped in. Lakers only team to be punished for tampering when the league does it all the time. I get so tired of teams fans with lousy ownership cry foul.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you want it voided if the Suns were the team? Please don’t be so short sighted and biased.
The Lakers should have had that dirty little Chris Paul years ago, but the league stepped in. Lakers only team to be punished for tampering when the league does it all the time. I get so tired of teams fans with lousy ownership cry foul.

Okay I get why some Laker fans would whine if Silver voided this kind of move and I get why some short sighted Laker fans might consider that a league outcry over the signing would be "biased" but how does "short sighted" enter the picture from your perspective?

From our perspective, calling your perspective short sighted is accurate. Whether we're right or wrong is mostly inconsequential. From the perspective of many fans, super teams, especially super teams created by the players themselves, are bad for the long term health of the league.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay I get why some Laker fans would whine if Silver voided this kind of move and I get why some short sighted Laker fans might consider that a league outcry over the signing would be "biased" but how does "short sighted" enter the picture from your perspective?

From our perspective, calling your perspective short sighted is accurate. Whether we're right or wrong is mostly inconsequential. From the perspective of many fans, super teams, especially super teams created by the players themselves, are bad for the long term health of the league.
I would not care about the long-term health of the league. I would just check out. If fans cannot see the conflict of interest in a player, who is also an owner in a sports agency and also building his own team, I just do not know what to say. Sports leagues are built on competition, and if competition does not exist, then the league dies. Its that simple.

I suppose the NBA could just market itself as a spectacle and no longer as a competitive league, that would be something like the pro wrestling. There would be people that would be interested in that, but I can go watch the Globetrotters if I want. At least they do not try to pretend they are competitive.

I had checked out of the NBA and this board from March until October. I can do it again. Easily.

There is a simple answer to this. The NBA needs a franchise player tag like the NFL. That would stop all this nonsense.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The record since 2010 is clear: super teams lead to higher ratings, more league revenue, and higher team valuations, so—from a financial perspective if a few white folks get sad that black folks are determining their destinies in a country that told them they couldn’t for hundreds of years and still bristles when they have the gall to do so—I don’t think the league should or would care to “stop” it.

What makes it more interesting to me is the NBAPA side of this: LeBron and AD taking knowingly less money is not something I would think the union would necessarily condone (although it does show player empowerment). Of course this is exactly what other stars have done in multiple sports for decades (Duncan and Tom Brady are the most noteworthy examples), so it would be interesting to see the reactions leaguewide at every level.

Of course, the remedy to getting your ass beat by bigger stronger better people isn’t to call Adam Silver and ask for him to intervene. It’s to, you know, lobby for new clauses in the CBA to deter perceived “anti-competitive” activity like team-building. Good luck with that!

Also, the Paul trade to LAL that was nixed was materially different:
1. The NBA owned the Hornets and had a fiduciary obligation to protect its best interests in not making a bad decision in a way that is totally inapt here.
2. It was a trade, not a freely made decision by a unrestricted free agent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The record since 2010 is clear: super teams lead to higher ratings, more league revenue, and higher team valuations, so—from a financial perspective if a few white folks get sad that black folks are determining their destinies in a country that told them they couldn’t for hundreds of years and still bristles when they have the gall to do so—I don’t think the league should or would care to “stop” it.

What makes it more interesting to me is the NBAPA side of this: LeBron and AD taking knowingly less money is not something I would think the union would necessarily condone (although it does show player empowerment). Of course this is exactly what other stars have done in multiple sports for decades (Duncan and Tom Brady are the most noteworthy examples), so it would be interesting to see the reactions leaguewide at every level.

Of course, the remedy to getting your ass beat by bigger stronger better people isn’t to call Adam Silver and ask for him to intervene. It’s to, you know, lobby for new clauses in the CBA to deter perceived “anti-competitive” activity like team-building. Good luck with that!

1. The NBA owned the Hornets and had a fiduciary obligation to protect its best interests in not making a bad decision in a way that is totally inapt here.
This has nothing to do with race. That's insulting.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What’s funny is that many many many more fans would watch a super team than would check out.

The league wins if Giannis goes to LA.

Frankly, I don’t want to see it because I’m a butthurt Suns fan who hates the Fakers and only wants bad things to happen to them.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When Ayton becomes an MVP candidate this year we may look back and wonder why Chris Paul was allowed to come to Phoenix and form a super team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

YES.

If there is no chance any other team can win - there is no reason to watch.

No way should the same team be allowed to have 3 of the top 5 players on it, unless by some miracle they all got drafted within a couple years by that team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm ready for the owners to opt out of the CBA agreement at the next opportunity. The players have too much control of the league.

If owners don't want to fix it, I'm ready for an alternative league like the old American Basketball Association.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Were you mad when Tom Brady took less money so the Pats could sign expensive FAs for their dynasty?
The NFL has a system in place that protects small market teams from losing their star players. The NBA does not. Also, there are not player orchestrated dynasties in the NFL. Find an NBA comparison and I will let you know, but this race-baiting thing is insulting and tiresome.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You have said that after LeBron’s Decision and several times after it as well, haven’t you?
No, none of us did. Many here thought the announcement was crass, and that the move would hurt the competitive balance of the league (which it did for a short period). At the end of the day, for me, it’s not so much sour grapes as is the fact that the league just becomes less enjoyable when players are constantly super teaming. I don’t begrudge them doing so. They’re adults who can make the beat decisions for themselves. But unlike football or baseball, one player’s departure from a team can crush that team and their addition to another team with two superstars just makes the team near unbeatable. It’s just not fun to watch the nba as a result. I guess there’s a reason my interest in the nba waned during the Miami heat and golden state (other than their first championship) runs. Not saying anyone else has to adopt my perspective.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

False. It is not that simple (I'm talking about drawing a direct line between super teams and things such as revenue). And now that TV money is in jeopardy and the league has lost the China windfall, it will become even more obvious that there is a problem in the NBA. Unless gambling provides an incredible income stream, they will be facing serious issues over the next decade or so. Covid-19 might hasten the collapse of the current financial structure but the eventual loss of tv dollars was always coming.

And I can't prove this but I'd bet that more than half the franchises would sell today if they could get anywhere close to their "valuations".

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you’re right then there would be a fire sale going on now in anticipation of the coming collapse.

In the real world, the cheapest owner on the planet just built an expensive state of the art practice facility.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What’s funny is that many many many more fans would watch a super team than would check out.

The league wins if Giannis goes to LA.

Frankly, I don’t want to see it because I’m a butthurt Suns fan who hates the Fakers and only wants bad things to happen to them.
That may be true and it’s why I only comment on my actions. I would just lose interest. It’s why, for the most part, I’ve lost interest in baseball. Dodgers have such a competitive advantage compared to the dbacks that entering every season I say “what’s the point?” I’m not saying I check out completely. For instance if the dbacks have a good season I’ll start following them, but my season-to-season fandom is close to nil due to the uncompetitive nature of the division.

Same would (and kind of did) translate to basketball. although I’ve always been a rabid fan of the suns, I was also a fan of the nba and looked forward to watching excellent games between the top teams year-in and year-out because I wasn’t sure who was going to emerge . . . until the Heat and then Durant-warriors. Then I stopped watching much of the nba at all.