Kelly Oubre...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife's comment is why did we trade away all the good looking guys, Rubio and Oubre!

Tell her not to worry; we're signing Larry Bird, Popeye Jones, Calvin Booth and Sam Cassell out of retirement. They aren't pretty to look at but they'll make the rest of the team look much better.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want to miss Okbozo. What's the deal with him? Does he have some dirt on Sarver or Jones?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre explains why he didn't play in Orlando.

How did the Suns not let him know he was being traded in advance.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How did the Suns not let hm know he was traded in advance.

This isn't going to help our reputation around the league...

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup, this sums it up for me. This team owes a lot to Oubre and Tyler Johnson for coming in mid season and slowly turning the ship around culturally. Monty and Rubio helped, sure, but those two could have easily sulked and just mailed it in after being traded here. Instead, they lit into the team in a good way.

And that subtle but clear culture shift ignited the confidence that sparked the Bubble performance and may be a deciding factor for Chris Paul wanting to play here.

This is why it is so important to make consistently good organizational decisions. Stars want to go where they want and it only helps when culture is good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

How did the Suns not let hm know he was traded in advance.

First, this is pretty much what we all speculated as far as why he didn't play. So no surprise there.

As for not letting him know, I wonder where his agent fits into all this. Why wouldn't his agent have told him?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kellan Olson is chasing clout and copy. Nothing more nothing less.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The article notes that he already knew he got traded. Shameless garbage from 98.7 as per usual.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't going to help our reputation around the league...

I wish Kelly had stated all this while he was in the Orlando bubble because we all suspected this is what was going on.

He was with the Suns in Orlando so this was good enough for me.

Suns need to do a better job of notifying players when they are traded. I don't know what went wrong here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The article notes that he already knew he got traded. Shameless garbage from 98.7 as per usual.
I think he was saying that he knew he was traded based on how his teammates were acting.

That being said it's not like it came out of the blue as the trade had been rumored for at least days before it finally happened.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wish Kelly had stated all this while he was in the Orlando bubble because we all suspected this is what was going on.

He was with the Suns in Orlando so this was good enough for me.

Suns need to do a better job of notifying players when they are traded. I don't know what went wrong here.
I mean I wouldn't expect them to notify him until the trade is actually agreed upon and from the sounds of it he was in the middle of a workout when the trade happened. If Monty or Jones didn't contact him at some point or at least within a reasonable amount of time than I would agree that it's a bad look. We really don't have that information though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, this is pretty much what we all speculated as far as why he didn't play. So no surprise there.

As for not letting him know, I wonder where his agent fits into all this. Why wouldn't his agent have told him?

Agree. No surprise here but it would have felt so good to hear Kelly say this before he was traded.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think he was saying that he knew he was traded based on how his teammates were acting.

That being said it's not like it came out of the blue as the trade had been rumored for at least days before it finally happened.

I disagree. Look at how blasé he is when describing the situation. He knew he had been traded or something was clearly in the works, presumably by his agent, the day/night before. Who do you think leaked that he been traded to Woj/Shams? It’s just as likely to be the Thunder’s folks as ours. And if it was his agent then that’s his fault not ours for not telling him specifically where he was going.

Kelly is a cool cat but there is no chance in hell the fact he was traded took him by surprise based on how he regaled the story.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I wouldn't expect them to notify him until the trade is actually agreed upon and from the sounds of it he was in the middle of a workout when the trade happened. If Monty or Jones didn't contact him at some point or at least within a reasonable amount of time than I would agree that it's a bad look. We really don't have that information though.

The media is so quick these days. There was likely a media leak before the Suns could notify him.

It's not just the Suns organization but all those involved in the trade including the other team.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I put the chances in the following order:
1. Agent leaks it (Paul’s most likely): 95%
2. Suns/Thunder leak it: 2.5% each

makes no sense at all for either org to leak it and not tell the player first

orgs can be really weird so that’s why I give them 2.5% each but I’d sell at that price

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I disagree. Look at how blasé he is when describing the situation. He knew he had been traded or something was clearly in the works, presumably by his agent, the day/night before. Who do you think leaked that he been traded to Woj/Shams? It’s just as likely to be the Thunder’s folks as ours. And if it was agent then that’s his fault not ours for not telling him specifically where he was going.

Kelly is a cool cat but there is no chance in hell the fact he was traded took him by surprise based on how he regaled the story.
Well of course he knew something was in the works as he was part of a rumored trade for at least a week before it happened.

My point was that he didn't know he was officially traded until teammates were telling him to check twitter.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Neither was here long enough for me to get hugely attached, but I’ll miss them both because each brought positivity to this team in their own way.

I think Oubre will like it in the GS spotlight, and he’ll bring some excitement to unexpected times there. Plus he was probably going to sign elsewhere anyway. I feel worse for Rubio, but I hope the T-wolves fans show him the love and he helps them get to a level they didn’t reach last time around.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and yes the timing here is critical

The SECOND Shams gets the word he has to post it. It’s his job to do so, and not to worry about giving the teams time to notify the players. This happens all the time these days with Twitter. The deal can’t be disclosed to the players until it’s done so the window is narrow.

bottom line this is Kelly’s agent’s issue. He needed to clarify with all the parties not to leak until he got to inform his client what the deal was

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well of course he knew something was in the works as he was part of a rumored trade for at least a week before it happened.

My point was that he didn't know he was officially traded until teammates were telling him to check twitter.

If so, and I don’t think it is, then that is his agent’s fault SOLELY. It’s not a “wow lol shady Suns” story at all. And that’s the nature of the tweet: that we shocked and surprised him. He didn’t shocked at all in the athletic piece and even if he was it’s still not our fault at all.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If so, and I don’t think it is, then that is his agent’s fault SOLELY. It’s not a “wow lol shady Suns” story at all. And that’s the nature of the tweet: that we shocked and surprised him. He didn’t shocked at all in the athletic piece and even if he was it’s still not our fault at all.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't expect the team to beat twitter. I am simply saying that it would be a poor look if they just flat out didn't reach out to him, but we have no information on that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. No surprise here but it would have felt so good to hear Kelly say this before he was traded.

It would have been nice to hear Oubre say something like that in the bubble but at the same time I can't recall a player making comments like that until the situation is behind them, like how he's said things now.

I think you need to get used to the silence of the Suns players and front office so long as James Jones is in charge. Don't see things changing. Even sources like Gambo are now on the outside looking in because things are so tight lipped.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am no fan of Sarver... but Oubre was LITERALLY a "Whoops! Our bad!" replacement player in a trade. He was the guy thrown into a misunderstanding to try and make a disaster salvageable.

His Wizards trajectory had him on pace to be a vet minimum signing. He lands here, he gets 30 million over 2 years and is traded for an all-pro.

Again... I am no fan of Sarver's but Oubre's comments reek of rejection. He WANTED to stay here, the Suns moved on and his ego is lashing out.

Notice that he didn't say squat when he was still attached to the dumpster fire that is the Thunder.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and yes the timing here is critical

The SECOND Shams gets the word he has to post it. It’s his job to do so, and not to worry about giving the teams time to notify the players. This happens all the time these days with Twitter. The deal can’t be disclosed to the players until it’s done so the window is narrow.

bottom line this is Kelly’s agent’s issue. He needed to clarify with all the parties not to leak until he got to inform his client what the deal was
And his client was working out with his phone in his gym bag no doubt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose