Simmons

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DRC didn’t play much the first half of his rookie year and really turned it on after that. Pat P only made the pro bowl his rookie year because of ST. Reddick was put in the wrong damn position his first 3-1/2 years. Calvin Pace was played at the wrong position his whole career here. Buccanon was moved to LB his rookie year because of injuries. Humphries was inactive his rookie year. I could go on and on and this is just our team.

Neither one of us would have any clue what the deal was with Simmons. I know nothing about how he does in meetings or practice, just like you. I don’t always like the results we get from Joseph’s D but no GM’s are banging down either of our doors to come coach their squad. For all we know, Joseph handled the situation perfectly. All we know for certain is that Simmons was a liability against SF and he has been much better since he started seeing the field regularly again. He didn’t play much the first half of the season. Big deal. He’s a rookie. Most of this board was calling the kid a bust until a few weeks ago. When those posters lining up for their crowburgers? Funny how the same people are continuously wrong about this stuff yet insist on relentlessly throwing their opinions out there as factual. I thought Mitch was totally out but it seems these days like he just created 15 new accounts on here.

I add Calais Campbell, was invisible in his rookie season
But they were much better defenses
This defense lack playmaking skills, lacks speed, tackle technique so that's why I would have given him more play time since the season started

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I add Calais Campbell, was invisible in his rookie season
But they were much better defenses
This defense lack playmaking skills, lacks speed, tackle technique so that's why I would have given him more play time since the season started
That’s a great comp. Calais was behind the guy who was like a 4th round pick and ended up going to Houston on a big contract. Devondre Campbell was playing well this year too. It’s not like Simmons was behind a bum. I don’t think our D was much, if any, better back then. That was under Pendergast I think. We were opportunistic but not really good. They stepped it up in the right times though until the last game of the year.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we are seeing the impact of a lack of a pre-season. In the past, I thought 4 games was 2 too many to get the team ready for the regular season---always hated to see guys go down in games that didn't count in the W-L column. Now, it looks as if the drafted players, FA vets, Undrafted FA, new coaches, etc need that game-time experience. Even if it is in pre-season. Got to learn the playbook and practice the plays. (Just don't go back to the 6 pre-season games in 1970's)

The clock shouldn't start on the rooks and 2nd year guys until they get game snaps in at least 4 games. That would be close to what they would have if we had pre-season games. Guys like Simmons shouldn't have to get game-time experience in actual game time when a simple mental error or misstep can cost a TD---and later, maybe a playoff spot.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clowney is garbage. He’s never amassed 10 sacks in his career and has a whopping 0 sacks this year. I’m not paying him a dime. Rather have Reddick and Golden for the same price you’d pay him.

you don’t get him for sacks that’s not what he does. He’s pretty much always been at the top when it comes against the run.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
DRC didn’t play much the first half of his rookie year and really turned it on after that. Pat P only made the pro bowl his rookie year because of ST. Reddick was put in the wrong damn position his first 3-1/2 years. Calvin Pace was played at the wrong position his whole career here. Buccanon was moved to LB his rookie year because of injuries. Humphries was inactive his rookie year. I could go on and on and this is just our team.

Neither one of us would have any clue what the deal was with Simmons. I know nothing about how he does in meetings or practice, just like you. I don’t always like the results we get from Joseph’s D but no GM’s are banging down either of our doors to come coach their squad. For all we know, Joseph handled the situation perfectly. All we know for certain is that Simmons was a liability against SF and he has been much better since he started seeing the field regularly again. He didn’t play much the first half of the season. Big deal. He’s a rookie. Most of this board was calling the kid a bust until a few weeks ago. When those posters lining up for their crowburgers? Funny how the same people are continuously wrong about this stuff yet insist on relentlessly throwing their opinions out there as factual. I thought Mitch was totally out but it seems these days like he just created 15 new accounts on here.

It’s funny how time plays tricks with our mind. DRC played in all 16 games, starting 11. He had 4 interceptions, returning one 99 yards for a TD. He made 39 solo tackles. Buc actually played his college position, S.S., his first season and wasn't moved to LB until season 2.
Pace started all 16 games his first season. He moved to LB his final season in AZ and had his career high in tackles. They tried but couldn’t re-sign him. Humphries didn’t play at all because he likely wasn’t NFL ready. Playing him would have gotten a QB killed. Your best case is Reddick. He was poorly positioned starting inside. I guess it depends on where you see the upside. I believe Simmons is a future Pro Bowl player and would be further along with more reps. Reddick is a situational player.

Hicks has clearly slowed to a crawl. It would be hard for me to picture Simmons playing worse. Hicks is down in tackles, has 1 pass defended (Simmons has 2). Hicks has no sacks and no interceptions. Campbell started like the player he was several years ago but lately has looked more like the player of the last 2 years. Simmons likely would have made a few more mistakes than these guys but also would have made more plays.

I realize this is all just my opinion but it’s hardly the biggest exaggeration on this board. You can’t learn to play LB by watching. It’s not like QB. I just think they’d have an impact player by now if Simmons had been playing. Of course it depends on Joseph using him well.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reddick looks like a case where the draft evaluators on the Cards thought they saw the raw tools to convert him out of his college position into a MLB. A part of that was the evaluation of his size---supposedly not 'long enough' (short arms) or 'tall enough' to play outside in the NFL. Just maybe the college staff knew best where he should play and that should be the position for him after he was drafted.

Now that he's finally got moved back to his college position, he is maximizing his skills---see ball, get ball, go after QB, hit RB. Big difference in the mental gymnastics that a MLB has to calculate with each play. Agree that he looks like a situational guy---but at least he is having some success in the right situation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? By “CC” do you mean Calais Campbell, who is 50 pounds heavier than Clowney? This is pretty simple. There’s not a 250lb 3-4 DE in the entire NFL. You’re not going to win this one lol. Not even close. Clowney is a LB in a 3-4. If I had to be the one to let you know, you’re welcome.

I’m not really trying to win anything but ok.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you don’t get him for sacks that’s not what he does. He’s pretty much always been at the top when it comes against the run.
You don’t pay $17m/year to a player who doesn’t get to the quarterback as a edge rusher. I don’t care how good he is against the run. If he can’t get to the QB, then he’s worthless

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
????? Clowney not only isn’t a 3-4 DE, he’d be our 4th best OLB lol.
Jones>>>>>>Clowney
Reddick>>>Clowney
Golden>Clowney
Kennard+10mil>>>>>>>>Clowney
If we were going to spend 17 mil on a LB (which we won’t) it would be significantly better spent on Reddick.
Yeah...I'm out on signing Clowney.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Like one dude called him a bust and I am pretty sure he is the same guy who trolls the game day thread. Don't know what the hell you are talking about with this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[QUOTE="cardsfanmd, post: 4349760, member: 3379]
Jones>>>>>>Clowney
Reddick>>>Clowney
[/QUOTE]

I do not understand this love reddick is getting.

he is playing marginally at best. You act like he’s leading the league in sacks.

he’s still a tweener that is too small to play a 3-4 olb.

I don’t really even want to resign him.

clowney is not the answer either, but if choosing one or the other, I would go clowney.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Getting rid of Peterson and Fitz frees up a ton of money alone. I’d bring back Peterson at FS and just let him roam but I’m asking him to take a big pay cut.

I’m giving Clowney 17 million a year, giving the Jets a 2 for Quinnen Williams

Clowney, Peters, Williams up front

Jones, Simmons, Redick at LB plus whoever else now that front 7 looks crazy if Simmons and Redick keep improving
I’m unwilling to rely on our worst tackler as our last line of defense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Clowney, and I definitely don't want to sign him.

I wouldn't write him off though, talent wise. He's not helping himself by playing mercenary. He keeps missing camps, signs late, has to learn a new system, gel with new players. If he stopped being a douche with too high opinion of himself and signed somewhere for $12-14m where he could stay and gel then he'd be more productive.

He needs to stop the crap he's doing right now, long term he's going to make less money. Yes, last 2 years he's made more than the long term deals he had on the table, but he's hurt his stock and those deals are going to shrink more.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting rid of Peterson and Fitz frees up a ton of money alone. I’d bring back Peterson at FS and just let him roam but I’m asking him to take a big pay cut.

Jones, Simmons, Redick at LB plus whoever else now that front 7 looks crazy if Simmons and Redick keep improving

I struggle to think of a worse idea than P2 at FS.

What's he going to do on the 95% of plays that aren't deep balls? There's a whole lot more to playing FS than being able to intercept a deep shot.

Our best defensive player is Budda at FS.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fitz will be back in 2021. Period. (Maybe more seasons, too)

He's only about 20 games from beating Rice's record of consecutive games with a reception. I don't see him hanging it up before he at least gets that milestone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Clowney, and I definitely don't want to sign him.

I wouldn't write him off though, talent wise. He's not helping himself by playing mercenary. He keeps missing camps, signs late, has to learn a new system, gel with new players. If he stopped being a douche with too high opinion of himself and signed somewhere for $12-14m where he could stay and gel then he'd be more productive.

He needs to stop the crap he's doing right now, long term he's going to make less money. Yes, last 2 years he's made more than the long term deals he had on the table, but he's hurt his stock and those deals are going to shrink more.
A tiger cannot change his stripes. At this juncture, Clowney is what Clowney is. Too high opinion of himself or a douche. Either way, I DON’T want him.