Rate the 2020 Offseason

How do you grade this off-season

• Total voters

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out who the new whipping boys are going to be with Jerome, Okobo, and Kaminsky gone. Man, I really did not enjoy watching those guys play.

Everybody on this team seem like solid professionals. Can't wait to see it.

A

The fans turn on Saric really fast. Don’t notice all the subtle things he does well even if he’s missing random layups or 3s.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Damian Jones can surprise folks by playing up to his potential similar to Rashaun Holmes 2 years ago then I'd give the off season an A. They could also add another C like Dewayne Dedmon and I'd give them an A also but I doubt we'll see another signing this off-season unless its a two way contract for the future.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yup. Would I love to have Tyler Herro or Brandon Clarke? Herro is a no brainer over Cam and Saric, but Cam and Saric v. Clarke is a wash at worst and I can see an argument being made that the two is better than one now that we have both long term.

Getting two solid rotation guys from that swag-ass draft looks pretty damn good in hindsight.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
me thinks there will only be one... the player that really makes or breaks this team's future as a true contender... DeAndre Ayton. Everyone else we pretty much know what we're getting and are known quantities outside of injuries derailing them.

My biggest concern is playmaking. Outside Booker and Paul there isn't really anyone who can create on their own on the perimeter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern is playmaking. Outside Booker and Paul there isn't really anyone who can create on their own on the perimeter.

that’s why Ayton is so critical. In his third year, that guy should be able to draw double teams and kick to open shooters. He should be the third shot creator on offense.

if he is, and one of those guys is on the court for the most part, the offense should never get that stagnant. But he’s got to take that leap for that to happen.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An absolute A. You acquired a second team all NBA guard so people can't sag off and effectively double Booker

The team is deep on shooting and on defense. The line up is flexible enough to deal with a variety of situations

You suddenly have the same odds in winning the NBA championship as the Jazz and only sacrificed 1 long term asset to do so.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
that’s why Ayton is so critical. In his third year, that guy should be able to draw double teams and kick to open shooters. He should be the third shot creator on offense.

if he is, and one of those guys is on the court for the most part, the offense should never get that stagnant. But he’s got to take that leap for that to happen.

I do think he drew double teams last year, just not with the ball. If you look at tape his rim runs had significant gravity. He doesn’t need to generate on-ball traditional double teams, he just needs to stop taking mid range shots unless the clock is less than 5.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t see how you could rate it anything lower than a B+. We have three different legit guys who can play 2-5, shooters everywhere and at least one high quality defender you can play at each position. I’m glad they went after both Moore and Galloway which pushes Payne off the depth chart. Even though Carter is not a pure distributor he has a pretty good handle.

As stated Ayton is the big ceiling raiser but another one might be Mikal’s 3pt shooting. His confidence rose last season and if he can hit shots at a high level it could blow the roof off of the offense. This team has some 2010 Suns feels in some regards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean... have we EVER been this much excitement/level of contentment with an off-season?

2018 I guess started with some excitement with Ayton but that train wreck derailed pretty much right after a Game 1 W against Luka and the Mavs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mean... have we EVER been this much excitement/level of contentment with an off-season?

2018 I guess started with some excitement with Ayton but that train wreck derailed pretty much right after a Game 1 W against Luka and the Mavs.
When is the last time we had a team that had one legit superstar, maybe 2 (even if one is over the hill), along with a very good group of veteran and young role players, surrounding a center with skys-the-limit potential? Maybe Amare's first few years?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think saric is going to be our point forward almost, not that he’ll dribble the ball but the offense for the second unit will run through him. He’s a good passer, shooter and can post smaller guys. Surround him with defense and shooters, which we have more of now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, let me just say this... regardless if the moves work or not... brace yourself here...

Sarver gets an A.

He spent as much as he could, during Covid, to try and win this year. He didn’t get CP3’and then bail on the MLE. And after he got the MLE, he didn’t tighten up and gave Dario a solid deal as well.

kudos where kudos are due.

really excited to see what this team can do this year!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Also, let me just say this... regardless if the moves work or not... brace yourself here...

Sarver gets an A.

He spent as much as he could, during Covid, to try and win this year. He didn’t get CP3’and then bail on the MLE. And after he got the MLE, he didn’t tighten up and gave Dario a solid deal as well.

So you think this could be Sarver’s best off-season since he bought the team? I think at the least it should rival some of those great mid-2000 teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think this could be Sarver’s best off-season since he bought the team? I think at the least it should rival some of those great mid-2000 teams.

yup. He did all you could ask for.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score

Sarver gets an A.

I’ll agree with this. Still wish he would sell the team, but I can’t complain about his off-season.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

McD was fired right before the season started too after being allowed to run the draft and free agency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When is the last time we had a team that had one legit superstar, maybe 2 (even if one is over the hill), along with a very good group of veteran and young role players, surrounding a center with skys-the-limit potential? Maybe Amare's first few years?
Yeah definitely amare’s early years.

amare > Ayton
Nash > Paul (due to age)
JJ < Booker (though we didn’t yet see JJ’s ceiling)
Marion >> crowder/cam
Cast of changing parts < bridges
2000s supporting cast < current cast

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, that move was just blasted by critics when Cam was picked too.

Picks 3-10 really haven't looked to good so far. Well I do like Jaxson Hayes a lot, but still Cam could end up as good or better than all of them. Nobody thought that was going to happen then.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sarver gets an A.

Glad you told me to brace myself. Wouldn’t you know it. The moment Cheese gets all giddy about the Suns I am having my doubts. Bit of role reversal here. However I like all the moves this summer. It’s just the CP3 age injury risk that has me nervous. More power to ya. Glad your pumped.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you told me to brace myself. Wouldn’t you know it. The moment Cheese gets all giddy about the Suns I am having my doubts. Bit of role reversal here. However I like all the moves this summer. It’s just the CP3 age injury risk that has me nervous. More power to ya. Glad your pumped.

I’m not really “giddy”. I know Chris Paul move could go belly up REAL EASY. But it was worth the risk, especially if we were going to go all in and spend whatever we could to supplement the move. They did that. They showed general competency for two offseasons in a row.

At this point with this franchise, that’s reason itself to be excited.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave