Rate the 2020 Offseason

How do you grade this off-season

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team will look quite different than last years with 2 new starters and a different looking bench.

I believe the Suns have 14 players under contract now so its likely that all the moves they planned on have been made, especially now that Baynes signed elsewhere eliminating the possibility of a sign and trade. The MLE is also gone, leaving only minimum contracts and the bi-annual exception.

So the question is, how you grade this off-season?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After the Galloway signing I have moved my rating up to a B.

Got give Sarver some credit for being willing to spend.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted B, but that only because I can’t vote B+ which is what I really think the off-season was.

pretty damn excited to see this team on the court with CP3 after what they did in the bubble.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wanted to do an A-, as this has been a masterful offseason of team building. I know everyone might drop grades because we didn't sign Ibaka, but who we did sign, PLUS not signing a single player to a bad contract, more than compensates for that.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
B+/A- for me. If we can somehow acquire George Hill it’s a clear A.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I've said elsewhere, I will miss Oubre and Rubio but I would make the Paul trade 99 times out of 100 based on the talent involved, where the team is, and contract situation of Oubre's.

Resigning Saric and Carter for the prices they did was really good. Glad each will be around for a while. I think Carter could be a real bargain given his new deal and age, especially if he can improve next year as much as he did from year 1 to year 2.

I like the depth signings of Moore and Jones, both minimum deals that could provide 2 good rotation players.

I'd have preferred Haliburton in the draft but am fine with the direction they went, and I'm liking Smith more each day.

I also think Crowder was a good signing. I had convinced myself we'd bring PJ Tucker back and Crowder is a much better, and younger, version of Tucker. He's a dirt worker who is tough as nails and will give 110% night in and out. Plus he was the starting PF for the Eastern Conference Champs last year.

All in a!l some things could have been better, like keeping a pick out of the Paul trade, but ultimately I think the team improved a lot more than I anticipated this off-season and there really hasn't been a bad deal made so I'd give JJ a solid B or B+.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
For me, this off-season has been B grade. I don't always agree with the moves James Jones makes but you have to give him credit for building a competitive team that will challenge for a playoff spot.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, this off-season has been B grade. I don't always agree with the moves James Jones makes but you have to give him credit for building a competitive team that will challenge for a playoff spot.

One thing ill give Jones a lot of credit for is whether I agree with the moves he makes, or doesn't make, its clear to see he has a plan in place and is following it. Unlike McD, Babby, Blanks, or Kerr before him, he doesn't seem to make head scratching moves. He has a vision for the team and everything he does is to help make that vision a reality. Here's to hoping that it will all work out as well as envisioned.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Solid B. It was a good off-season. It would have been an A had they added a more impactful PF. However, if Smith can turn in to that player I'll change my opinion to an A.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I voted B, but that only because I can’t vote B+ which is what I really think the off-season was.

pretty damn excited to see this team on the court with CP3 after what they did in the bubble.
I voted A to average you out bc I agree with a B+.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Solid B. It was a good off-season. It would have been an A had they added a more impactful PF. However, if Smith can turn in to that player I'll change my opinion to an A.

This is where I am, provided Smith unexpectedly becomes that player this season (which I think is unlikely).

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I added another option since so many people seem on the fence between A and B. You can now select A- or B+. If you already voted you should be able to change it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said a B, just because I think the CP3 trade is really risky.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I said a B, just because I think the CP3 trade is really risky.

Yeah. I think I still would have preferred keeping Oubre and Rubio, signing a much better power forward (or trading Oubre for one), and rounding it off with similar depth moves. Also, I would have preferred a back-up wing who is better than Nader.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's either a high B or a low A for me. Bringing in CP3 even at his age is worth the risk. He was after all named to 2nd team all NBA like a month ago. The only thing that can derail this is injuries, but that would have been a very possible issue with Rubio as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really battled grading the Suns off season moves trying to decide to give them an A or a B.

Based upon what they accomplished I give them a B but based on effort I give them an A. Some things were beyond their control.

In regard to the trade for Chris Paul I give them a B. Suns went for it. If this is a move Devin Booker supports, they needed to do it.

I give them an A for the draft. Really like Jalen Smith.

And free agency I give them an A for making every possible move possible to make the team better.

Final off season grade A-.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote really all depends on Jalen Smith. If he can be even a modest contributor, it goes to an A. We're just REALLY small and I would have liked to see a little more beef behind Ayton. But, you can't always get what you want. Hoping Smith can be what we need.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out who the new whipping boys are going to be with Jerome, Okobo, and Kaminsky gone. Man, I really did not enjoy watching those guys play.

Everybody on this team seem like solid professionals. Can't wait to see it.

A

me thinks there will only be one... the player that really makes or breaks this team's future as a true contender... DeAndre Ayton. Everyone else we pretty much know what we're getting and are known quantities outside of injuries derailing them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
me thinks there will only be one... the player that really makes or breaks this team's future as a true contender... DeAndre Ayton. Everyone else we pretty much know what we're getting and are known quantities outside of injuries derailing them.

The only other major variable is Crowder. He was beyond awful at times last season, and at other times he was spectacular.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am still unsure of the CP3 move, but I'm gonna go with an A. You have two all stars now, young potential star, plenty of defense and shooting, and there is quite a bit of depth on the roster. Roster looks like not only an actual NBA roster, but a very good one at that. I love the Crowder signing, and I think Moore and Galloway are very good fits- exactly what the Suns needed. I do wish they had another big- bigger than Saric, but better/ more skilled than Jones, but the biggest holes in the roster have been plugged in, so it should be fine.